It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cataract Surgery

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I need this surgery myself, but am stubborn and putting it off. You did make me feel better though about having it done...eventually.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Like you I put it off..way too long, was legally blind in the worst eye. Don't sweat it..it really was over quick, not painful at all either.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I know that sand feeling all too well.
I have recurrent corneal erosion, and need to take care that nothing gets in my eyes, like dust and grit.
When the condition flares, it feels like I have something rough in my eye.
Nasty feeling
www.reviewofoptometry.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hiya Wookiep,

I had eye surgery a couple of years ago for a massive floater in one eye that was filling my vision with a grey cloud. The doctor said everyone gets floaters as they age, but they usually break up and move off to the sides so they don’t impede visions. Mine, however, stayed front and center, so I was like you, closing my eye and squinting with my other eye to try to read menus, computer screens, etc.

I was scared too! Now, I can look back and say I am really glad that I decided to have my vitrectomy. I was awake during the surgery, like you were, there was just a very short time when they took me under a little deeper while they injected pain killers (think needles going into your eye) so I would not feel anything during the surgery.

Following surgery, I had some interesting insights. I had a bubble in my eye that gradually diminished over the next week or so. The first day or two I could only see the horizon of it, which was like a curved line at the top of my vision and below was just black. As the bubble shrank, my vision came back, a little more each day. During the process, I really internalized the fact that we can get around in our environment without being able to see it. Also that the world does not necessarily “look” like what I see.

End result, like you, I am very glad I had the surgery! I can see clearly now with no more huge grey cloud across my vision.

Congratulations and hugs!
Gwynn

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gwynnhwyfar

Wow Gwynn, that is quite interesting! I have floaters too and at one point I was concerned about it, but never anything like that! My surgeon told me that floaters are usually not related to the lense but he did a full check of everything including in the back of the eye and apparently he wasn't too concerned.

I guess its always a good idea to get floaters checked out because of cases like yours. Im glad they were able to fix it though! I'll bet it was slightly more involved than cataract surgery, but the experience was likely very similar! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep
Hi Wookiep,

You bet! I think my surgery was probably no more involved than your surgery. For sure, most people have floaters that are no big deal and they don’t need or have surgery. Mine was the Godzilla of floaters, and badly placed right in the middle of my eye, apparently! LOL

Indeed, my doctor told me that I had a trade off: I could live with the floater obscuring my vision, or, I could have the vitrectomy, but then I would end up needing cataract surgery (your surgery) sooner than if I hadn’t had it. Apparently, if you live long enough, you will eventually need some work done to correct your vision.

I took the vitrectomy and have not regretted it, and I expect to have cataract surgery in my (currently distant) future as a result... so Im glad to hear from you that you would recommend it!

Thanks,
Gwynn

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Night Star

Like you I put it off..way too long, was legally blind in the worst eye. Don't sweat it..it really was over quick, not painful at all either.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Just an update -

Today it's been one week since surgery, and today I had my one week follow up appointment. Everything looks good 20/20 distance vision. I have slightly high eye pressure, but the doc said that's normal after surgery, and I was given some special drops to help lower the pressure.

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP is that before you get cataract surgery, the surgeon will give you an option as to what kind of lense you want "installed". Distance or near. There is not yet a lense that can do both like a human lense. I picked distance, so right now I can see very clearly far away distances. It's very sharp. Like I said before, like HD vision, very vibrant colors.

With that said, I can't do reading with this eye without reading glasses, and that's OK with me. I was once blind, and now I just need reading glasses. I'll take it!

Just wanted to update! I have another follow up next week.
edit on 26-4-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yep welding will do it. I'm 47 and am squinting already.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Great to hear that you are improving now. Just want to know, how long it would take to recover completely?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks for this. I've been wondering about the process. I've got it coming this year. I see the surgeon next month.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Had cataract surgery last year. Now I can see like a sharpshooter. No more glasses or contacts.

And no, I am also not old.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: raees94
Great to hear that you are improving now. Just want to know, how long it would take to recover completely?

They say full recovery is about 3 months. You only need to take eye drops for a month. The first couple weeks is the most critical. You have to be very careful not to get water, soap and dust etc in your eye. No swimming and caution while showering etc.

I'll update again when I start planning for the other eye.

edit on 8-5-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Thanks for this. I've been wondering about the process. I've got it coming this year. I see the surgeon next month.

Awesome. Post your experience here! We'll talk about it like a couple of old cataract veterans, lol.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Eye stuff Is horrid, a friend of mine ended up with abnormal pressure in her eye, she ended up having injections in her eye, it's done while awake and to me looked like a scene out of a horror movie, I went in once that was enough for me I still cringe thinking about it.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Eye stuff Is horrid, a friend of mine ended up with abnormal pressure in her eye, she ended up having injections in her eye, it's done while awake and to me looked like a scene out of a horror movie, I went in once that was enough for me I still cringe thinking about it.

Heh, well I think you're mis-understanding the process. I thought the same way before the surgery. Its really nothing for the patient. Really. Nothing!

It's a mix of anesthesia and numbing drops etc that make it so easy. It's almost too easy. Weird, I know. But I get your point. I barely allowed the surgery to happen due to those same fears.

Hope, not fear is what we need. Weird isn't it???

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Have you had an injection in the eye?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Have you had an injection in the eye?

They cut my lense open and replaced it.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Sure you had cataract surgery, but we're asleep for it though right?

I stood there and watched her get the needle in the eye ball, she was awake for it.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I wasn't asleep. I was given a specific sedative where I was conscious and able to follow commands but did not remember it.

Your friend likely had the same type of experience.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join