It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media addiction and anxiety

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

They do this during job interviews.

That blows me away to be honest, in a job interview?!
You couldn't make it up.

I interview on average about 20 people a week.
You would not believe some of the things I see and hear. My boss say I can't write a book though.
To bad.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

a reply to: MisterSpock
Lol, a few weeks of no ATS?!
I can only imagine the dark horrors of that withdrawal...

I'm sure some people would really struggle with it. That's normally a sign of a problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Last year I unplugged for a couple of months. The politics everywhere was making me puke. No withdrawal and it was refreshing. I recommend it if you're getting down.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I looked at those threads and with one exception they were to inform about and assist in trying to determine the problem. No biggie there. Happens every time the site goes down. Not saying this addiction to social media doesn't exist but it's aimed at the wrong people here.

Hmm...maybe, but personally I didn't think SkepticOverlord needed another thread from me or anyone else saying "my XYZ OS is working but Chinese copy OS is unable to star posts", sorry, but I thought it was hilarious.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Last year I unplugged for a couple of months. The politics everywhere was making me puke. No withdrawal and it was refreshing. I recommend it if you're getting down.

Gosh I'm not getting down, real life has my biggest issues at the moment (health/work) and ATS/digital media is a fun distraction sat at home. I tend not to let myself be dragged into it emotionally though, it ain't real online, most people wouldn't speak to each other like they do here if they were at the pub face to face.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I do find ATS to be more authentic than FB. To quote Oscar Wilde

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

edit on 13-4-2018 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Instead of just doing the "meh", DISRAELI and I just notified the staff with the ways we had at our disposal. I wrote an email to SO, too.

We can´t be held accountable for 50 threads about the same topic. It´s not our fault if even long standing members have nothing better to do than opening up thread after thread.

It has nothing to do with histeria on my part.

Edit: The second thread I made about this was to keep it civil, but it seems it drowned in the other threads.
edit on 13-4-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

Edit: Now it has been removed (thankfully), just take my word for it.
edit on 13-4-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

There is an element of that for some people I imagine, but my best mate is also a member of ATS and although never posts himself, he reads everything I post.
Personally, I am as honest/blunt on social media as I am in real life, less thinking/memory required just being myself.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Gosh I'm not getting down, real life has my biggest issues at the moment (health/work) and ATS/digital media is a fun distraction sat at home. I tend not to let myself be dragged into it emotionally though, it ain't real online, most people wouldn't speak to each other like they do here if they were at the pub face to face.

It's not just pixels on the screen anymore. I agree with the fact that some wouldn't speak to each other the same way face to face.

I wasn't referring to you personally when I said unplugging was refreshing. A general "you". I will say though that after I did...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

We need more like you.

The biggest problem with FB is the context breakdown. It is a never ending job interview. The more it is shoved in our face the less chance we get to take off the mask and be ourselves.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Lol, fair enough, I wasn't pointing fingers at any individual, just the scene.
...and it did seem like hysteria to me on the recent posts page, hysteria which I guess likely didn't help SO fix the issue in any way whatsoever. He could correct me on that of course, maybe all those threads were useful while detecting a problem which he already knew was going on.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

That´s why I made the second thread asking others to keep it civil with the conspiracies (SO left usw and whatnot) because SO will have enough to do without hundreds of threads.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I panicked and soiled myself when I couldn't post.

Well, I soiled myself when I couldn't post.

Okay. I had an accident. Didn't have time for ATS.

Happy now???

What DB forgot to mention was that he soiled himself last week and only just noticed today...

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

That was an interesting read

For sure we have to adapt how we present and deliver our thoughts depending on environment, my own personal strategy is don't volunteer information if it is not the appropriate moment, but if asked a direct question everyone gets an honest answer. Even if they don't want hear it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes we are superior to Facebook. Here we discuss things, on Facebook people just seem to say meaningless things or parrot propaganda we are fed. Try discussing something on facebook and you will be unfriended. So what does that accomplish. I am glad there is not an ignore button here, if there was, I would have pressed it on many people and I actually learned from those people on different subjects later on. Just because you do not agree with someone on one issue does not mean that you do not agree on others.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

LMFAO!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I really try to make an effort to word my posts like I talk in real life...I really am that much of an asshole...this could be why I don't have many friends.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There are several studies out there that say social media likes and the ding your phone makes stimulate the exact same part of the brain that booze and drugs do when getting a buzz. Its even been suggested that an age limit should apply.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

TBH I did wonderthe same thing.

wow people, you really are addicted to ATS.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Wow I have some fantastic discussions on public facebook pages as well as my friends feeds. Yes there are trolls with no mod's on fb, but discussion is out there. I almost prefer public discussion on fb because on some local pages say I'm being trolled I just invite them to a friendly pint at any pub in town to chat further. They usually shut up then.

Because my identity is public on fb I don't need mod's, I'll meet anyone for a pint to chat further. But the anonymity of ATS and other forums encourages keyboard warrior stuff, so requires mods. The anonymity makes the difference.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join