It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School responds to peaceful protest students with a good old fashioned swatting to their thighs ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

I couldn't help but laugh.

That was me as a kid... A couple whacks on the butt, then the dreaded "talk". God, I hated that talk.

I was something of a brat, at times, as a kid, pushed boundaries, like most kids do at some point... But I didn't cross 'em very often, because of the very real consequences of doing so. Those swats on the butt weren't painful in anyway other than embarrassing--given that both my parents were uncommonly strong, they could have been very painful--they were, as you said, mostly to get my attention to the fact that I'd crossed the line. The talk after was to point out where and when, and by how much...

I was never "sent to my room"--that's where all my cool stuff was. I generally got to do my sisters chores, or chop firewood--until the parents figured out I enjoyed doing that (dammit)--as punishment. That truly sucked, mostly because my sisters thought of it, my doing their chores, as cheap entertainment...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DAVID64

And my points are:

1. Real world doesn’t give you choices. The punishment is what the punishment is.

2. Physical punishment is not acceptable for breaking a rule in the real world.

How do you punish in the real world? Through economic punishment, right?

How do you correlate that to children? None of it is theirs, none of it is earned with hours of labor. The effect isn't there.

I think the real answer is, "Not all kids are the same."

My oldest was never spanked. My youngest needed a spanking to reset his attention and attitude. Rational discussion was always primary, and was our only disciplinary tool once he was 12 or so and had some rational mind to use in a discussion. But how much rational thought is an angry 7 year old throwing a fit going to have?

But kids think of their possessions as “theirs”. My daughter had a favorite stuffed animal when she was 3-4 years old. That toy was her life for 2 years - I’m not kidding. If she didn’t have it to sleep with, she was heartbroken. As punishment, I took it away from her for a few days - once. That was all it took. From then on, all I had to do was warn her that it would be taken away again if she misbehaved - the warning worked.

My brother would throw fits too. My mom locked him in the guest room and let him wear himself out. Once he was calm (i.e., exhausted), she let him out. He realized that his fits weren’t doing him any good, so eventually he stopped. Spanking was just not necessary for him to realize that.

I realize there are people who will tell me that their kids are fine and they got spanked regularly. There are people who will tell me that they themselves got spanked regularly, and they are fine. That may be true - kids can be pretty resilient. But in my opinion, there are always other ways to discipline/guide/teach, and physical punishments are just not necessary, and for less resilient kids, it can actually be harmful.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's why by the time my kiddo is 5 or 6 I hope to be on a piece of land with a garden, a bee hive and a few other odds and ends to help give me a nice list of chores as they get older.

Oh you want an allowance... well heres your list ill pay you X an hour and then give them a realistic breakdown of how long each should take.

Or something along those lines.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmickat
a reply to: DAVID64

Ok..not to make this about me..but once again..I suffered the consequences, at school for forgetting homework....or for being late...And at home..for similarly minor things.
I rebelled anyway.
It didn't work.

?

I hate to break this to you, but you are not unique in your teenage rebellion.

Most teens rebel, whether they are raised in a spanking home or a no-spanking home. It's kind of a defining characteristic of teenagers.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I would definitely have opted for the swats.." Wham! Wham!..ok, you're done- Go and sin no more" lol
I think it is suitable since the parents sign off on it and the kids even chose their punishment. I actually really like that they can choose too, it really helps them take responsibility and realize that yes, actions do have consequences.
Have ya'll seen this one?

eta; Has anyone seen Aries Spears' stand up routine regarding corporal punishment? It's pretty funny- I won't post the link because the language is very strong and it will probably offend someone
but it's White Families vs. Black Families if anyone is interested. (Lol @ 2:26)

edit on 17-3-2018 by Starcrossd because: added info

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join