It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

Yup, whose going to pay for that. After all Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, which helps in part to fund Meals on Wheels has had the budget eliminated.
Source

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: WUNK22
It should be for healthy essential products, that’s it! No soda, no candy, no KFC, no fast food! Believe it or not, in New York this is racist. Your denying people of color enjoyable things in life like McDonalds and Pizza Hut. My state is one of madness

You can buy Food at McDonald's with SNAP?

California, Arizona, etc., allow EBT to buy fast food for seniors, homeless and the disabled, in some of the counties.
See here

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I can see for the homeless since they have no way to cook often.

Arizona allows EBT for Dairy Queen. That's Hilarious.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Thanks for sharing. Areas are already strapped for delivery as it is. See Meals on Wheels I shared above. Seniors have to pick up meals now and they are sometimes distributing what is made at the women's prison or at catering services from larger areas if not what can afford to be made locally.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Let’s not forget if we feed these people with healthy food can goods etc. instead of fast food and other crap maybe our health as a country will get better who knows.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

No problem. I don't get Dairy Queen either, aren't the burgers, chicken, other way expensive if that is the goal for meals instead of treats.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I am sure the massive waste in the snap program, will be able to employ people to help, when we are saving billions I am sure it will work itself out. Gotta look at this as a whole for the country, not just what’s in front of your face at the moment.. see the big picture..

We put a man on the moon, by the way..
edit on 13-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Get a good pressure cooker.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Boadicea

I absolutely love your suggestions! That is a fantastic idea.

Think of the effect on starvation if everyone learns to grow a garden, and gardens are grown wherever possible. Even window boxes are fine in a city.

Right??? And our health! Add a few herbs to the garden, and some recipes for preparation, and folks will never want to go back to junk food! Not to mention the fresh air and sunshine (Vitamin D), and the stretching and exercise. It's a win-win. Gardening is a great workout... and fun!

We used to have a garden, and it was wonderful to walk out back and grab some fresh tomatoes, carrots, onions, melons, etc. I really miss it, but my husband was the gardener and he passed away. Your suggestion actually makes me want to get out his gardening books and give it a shot again!

I hope you do. There's nothing like fresh picked veggies, eh? Especially peas right off the vine. We always had a veggie patch growing up, and most everyone we knew grew something, including fruit trees. I remember lots of trading with friends and neighbors. Our driveway was lined with cherry tomatoes, and I don't think I ever passed them without plucking a few. I'm not sure that would even be legal today -- at least not in some neighborhoods. I still grow tomatoes and peppers and squash, and usually some melons. All the easy stuff. And my citrus trees. And a few herbs... wow. I guess I still grow a lot. But the truth is my flowers get far more of my attention!

It just is what it is

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

in one of the articles I read they are estimating that buying the food at wholesale prices will save them 1/3 of the current cost.
another article (maybe the same one that gave that figure above) said that around 1/3 of the cost to the customer for a blue apron box if for the shipping and logistics.
then we have the cost of assembling these boxes and preparing them for delivery.
I just don't see how this saves the taxpayers money, it's more like we are paying an extra price to make our neighbors more miserable. and when you add the problems this will cause with the retail markets... and related stocks...
sorry, but I would rather just put up with the little bit of abuse the recipients do against the system. Think it would be less costly in the long run. and what is stopping people from selling the food that they are given to their neighbors and friends. I remember those cans of peanut butter making their rounds through the neighborhood when I was a kid, including into my own home every now and then, weather given to us or sold I have no idea. but there was never a box of powdered milk around, just the peanut butter.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
This will go a long way to stop people from selling their benefits for cash.

I know several people right now that have 50/50 deals with snap recipients.

" I give you $50 cash for $100 in groceries."

They actually go to the store with the snap card holder to pick out the groceries.

Great.

I know 50 people on SNAP, NONE of them do that.

Baseless, and totally unprovable personal experiences are worthless in the context of THIS discussion.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So when Michelle Obama decide our kids have to eat certain food it was ok right?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

and what if the single mom can't afford a pressure cooker?? and just how much time, if any, is cut from the 2,3, or 4, hours it takes to cook the beans with one.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
This will go a long way to stop people from selling their benefits for cash.

I know several people right now that have 50/50 deals with snap recipients.

" I give you $50 cash for $100 in groceries."

They actually go to the store with the snap card holder to pick out the groceries.

And ALSO, what are their names? What state do YOU live in? I'll provide the fraud hotline for you. TURN THEM IN.

No?

Then you are enabling them.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

It’s an attempt to provide healthier food. Believe it or not we will save money.

We have a serious obesity problem in this county, I think it’s worth a shot, if it does not work, then we can go back o our outdated food stamp program as it is. I would at least give it a shot, of course I respect your opinion thou.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I agree. They can improve it though. When you look at the data of what EBT purchases go towards you will see it's not for purchasing great nutritional food options for quite a bit of people. Soft drinks make a too big of percentage for example. I doubt giving staples of the basics would even be used by some, TBH.

The overall good of the program outweighs the bad.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent

It’s an attempt to provide healthier food. Believe it or not we will save money.

We have a serious obesity problem in this county, I think it’s worth a shot, if it does not work, then we can go back o our outdated food stamp program as it is. I would at least give it a shot, of course I respect your opinion thou.

This is going to be an EPIC FAIL, and President Trump will lose votes.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

Seniors are a sizable portion of the recipients of these programs and that is growing as our population ages. It's very relevant to the topic.

We put a man on the moon, by the way..

Uh, okay? Because I didn't know or something?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Meh I. Have learned being quick to judge is a vice but I respect your opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Well I am not going to go in circles here. If we can put a man on the moon, we can manage a way to feed the poor, with innovation..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
a reply to: KTemplar

Meh I. Have learned being quick to judge is a vice but I respect your opinion.

I’m not quick to judge, I know people, and I know #s.

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join