It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheeds Failed B-2 Project "Seinor Peg" Moves From Black To White

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
AWST in this weeks issue has released a photo of the plane the Lockheed submitted as a compeditor for the Advanced Tactical Bomber competiton that ultimetly lost to the Northrop B-2. Code named Senior Peg, very little is known about it, but as the article states many of the rumored aircraft flying around the Southwest may be derivatives of it.

Little information is available on the Senior Peg demonstrator, but according to one account the photo is a model that did not fly. There are some indications, based on a number of sightings in the Western U.S., that the design may have served as the basis for other, still-classified aircraft.
Senior Peg

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'd say, looking at that picture, its a good job the B-2 won. That tail looks well flimsy.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I'd say, looking at that picture, its a good job the B-2 won. That tail looks well flimsy.

According to sources, however, and Ben Rich, head of the Sukunkworks at the time, thier entry was stealthier and cost alot less than the Northrop entry.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I would have to go with Northtrop because they have much more experience with flying wing designs then any other US aircraft company. Im sure that tail on ''senior peg'' would have increased drag and thus reduced range with the same amount of fuel. So I doubt it would have beat the B-2 on that account.

I wouldnt really expect the head of Skunk works to say they had a inferior plane though even if it truly was.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Perhaps true, I am simply excited as this may be one of the first pictures released of what the plane looked like. Previously we just had concecture and the like. Kind of looks like a big F-117 with better areodynamics.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Its a great find FredT very interesting, I wonder why they kept so much of it underwraps for so long? I guess thats how the Black world works even if a plane is never going to see production. What was the early stealth plane 'Tacit Blue' that was only revealed when it was getting retired to a museum.

BTW I guess I have a Bias towards Northtrop since I had family members work on the B-2 Program.

[edit on 15-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Intresting! I don't see twin tails being stealthier than no tail. Also, the design dosn't look as strong structurally as the Nothrop B-2. Based on what I see, I think the Air Force made the best choice. I think Northrop's history and experince with the Flying wing was one of the critical factor, Northop was more likely to suceed with the flying wing design.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Theres just one thought thats nagging me....

If they have released this as the loser of the B-2 fly off, why are there still no pictures (bar one small grainy shot) of the loser in the F-117 fly off? Did that diamond aircraft go into operation after all??

Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
They probably gave the ATB contract to Northrop because then Lockheed would have one contract and Northrop the other, keeping both in business for time.
These contracts don't always come down to the best design, but the politics and economics of it. A shame really, but if it keeps people in employment...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Do you have a link...that isn't password protected.

Not everyone has a subscription ya know.

I'm glad they lost, the B-2 looks better.

It looks like a cross between the F-117 and the B-2.

Wonder if any more light will be shed on this...in addition to one small (possibly fake) picture.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
is there a link to the grainy picture of the F-117 competitor? i've never seen or heard of it before, tho often wondered about it

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I remember reading in the book The Hunt For Zero Point by Nick Cook from Janes that he believed the Northrop design won because of the system it uses to charge the leading edge of the aircraft to millions of volts.

From my memory, I believe he said that Northrop had the design patent on this system or had a lot more experience with it.

It supposedly has the dual purpose of reducing drag to the aircraft while also reducing it's RCS - thus making it more stealthy and also have longer legs.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I actually think the B2 is superior, regardless of what the skunkworks honcho said. "Continuous curviture" (b2), from what I understand, is more stealthy than the "double diamond"(117). The B2's signature is significantly smaller than even the 117's. It looks like the lockheed was using the "double diamond" technique again if the pictures are indeed what the design was like. Not to mention the B2 is way cooler looking, prolly has a longer range, and prolly performs better.

Neat plane though

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would say this design failed for a purpose, its lift to drag ratio probably isn't anywhere near the B-2's. Some politics as well but I'd say the better aircraft won out.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have a picture of the F-117 rival on a radar pole bing tested on my PC, so ill dig around the net to see if i can find one...if not, feel free to U2U me and ill e-mail you the piccy.

MadGrimbo

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
here you go, i knew i'd dig it up at some point....

Looks a bit ungainly, but hey, its the only picture ever released about it, so here you are.

www.geocities.jp...

Ever heard of team stealth? and the diamond shaped aircraft seen along with F-117's at times?
gues we will never know....

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This is a lockheed painting of their naval F-117n variant.....

wow wee this looks one sweet bird! never seen this before!

Have a play around on the sight, as there are loads more photos and art works that are of interest!

www.f-117a.com...

sweet.

Edit: Click on the development links... they will lead you to all of the cool pictures of many different variants / test ships

[edit on 18-2-2005 by MadGrimbo]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Very interesting.

I always find that even the black projects that didn't "get off the ground" so to speak very interesting for some reason.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow,
this caught my eye as i was looking through the site.
Take a look at where it says about " Other losses".

That is none freaky picture! Just what it is i have no idea, but as the site owner is a former top secret worker, his words should be listened to !.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
KKing123: For all XST designs - also with McDonnell Douglas and all F-117 versions see:

www.hitechweb.szm.sk/stealth2.htm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join