It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases

I thought this was interesting.

Looks like service men are wearing this app while on the base. And on bases the location is supposed to be "secret" the app is giving away the locations.

You can see where some servicemen go jogging lol.

Here is the site where you can go track on a heatmap. labs.strava.com.../47.79795/26.81487/bluered/all

This is a big oops. I'm certain people will be yelled at.

However, over the weekend military analysts noticed that the map is also detailed enough that it potentially gives away extremely sensitive information about a subset of Strava users: military personnel on active service.

Nathan Ruser, an analyst with the Institute for United Conflict Analysts, first noted the lapse. The heatmap “looks very pretty” he wrote, but is “not amazing for Op-Sec” – short for operational security. “US Bases are clearly identifiable and mappable.”

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Uh-oh... A few people in North Korea are gonna be ****ing their pants...
Wow, it even shows the route they took to cross the border. Hopefully they're supposed to be in North Korea and not acting as spies, or else they're in some big trouble.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I think this thread has already existed for a couple of days. You'd better go check, so as to not reinvent this wheel.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

My bad if it's a dupe.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Previously Posted HERE

Closed

top topics

join