It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Milwaukee you'll get a ticket if you leave your car running in your own driveway!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

They do sell space heaters that you can plug into the cigarette lighter compartment...you do know that, right?

You do understand that that drains the battery which is already stressed in the cold without the car running right?
edit on 26-1-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

www.lifewire.com...
"Cigarette lighter heaters work, in that they take energy from your car’s electrical system and turn it into heat energy, but we're talking about a pretty loose definition of work. The truth is that you would have just about as much luck trying to warm your car up by yelling at it."

Dude, i'm not sure where you live but here it gets -28 with windchill. Nobody wants to fiddle with alcohol and water when it is that cold, how much alcohol would you even have to buy to do this all winter. Secondly, a cigarette heater in the car isn't going to heat up the cabin quickly enough when it is that cold, even with top perfect condition heat in a new car it is still going to take a good 10-15 mins to get going.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

You do understand that that drains the battery which is already stressed in the cold without the car running right?

First...de-ice the car with solution.

Second start the car and plug in space heater.

Third...drive...the engine will warm up quickly and the space heater warms air quickly.

How is this a problem?

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Uh I live in a place with mass amounts of snow, sleet, ice, etc. I don't have 1/8 th in sheet of ice or the time with everyone I have to get ready to squirting down a freaking mini van at minus 10..

edit on 26-1-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So glad I headed north years ago, don't is this crap at all. Up here its technically illegal too, but they leave people alone as we're still in a reality based environment here.
All I can say is get a garage and vent it so you can warm up your car.
Or move.
Downstate sucks, don't miss it at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Because if your coolant (dexcool primarily) can loose it's ability to not freeze. If your coolants water freezes, ypur water pump doesnt work, your motor overheats, even though you have no heat registered on the gauges, or in the heater core. By the time you get to work, belts are fried, and possibly head gaskets.
It's only a few grand right?
Maybe get your head right, what people do with their property on their property is noone elses buisness.

Including Milwaukee police department.

If you can stop criminals trespassing and stealing your stuff it's not an issue. But instead they protect the hoodrats instead of their tax base of hard working people.
Smart!
And de-icing solution is not good for your car, or concrete driveway, just another few thousand dollars right?
BTW I do about 1300 yards of concrete every year, so don't come at me with a Google link how de-icing solution doesn't wreck it- it does. As does calcium chloride.
Not good for your pets feet either.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Yes! This!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Maybe get your head right, what people do with their property on their property is noone elses buisness. "

This isn't about cars, or snow, this about your rights to do normal things on your property. We aren't talking about cooking meth, or burning plastics etc, we are talking about warming up your car. What is next, don't open your windows for fresh air because burglars will come in. It is never ending. The one and only solution, is to punish crime appropropriate, which they don't here, thus the problems we are having.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I've had one of those. It was craptastic.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Not to mention hopping in your frozen vehicle and driving will have one seriously bad effect.
Your breath will fog up the windshield will make it impossible to see and you are now a 4000lb missile.
Super, we all need that.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What? Not another Cali Bashing thread?
I am from the Midwest and when its below zero, you need to warm your car up....I had a Jeep Liberty when I lived back there 10 years ago. I was lucky, it warmed up pretty quickly even in that type of weather.

This is BS, I used to start my car, lock it go back inside 5 min or so, and then I was good to go, most times. Unless I had to scrape ice, or snow off of my Jeep.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

We're not bashing California, just stupidity of people who haven't encountered what we deal with.
Just like if I moved out by you and my house got burned in the wildfires or lost to a mudslide. I don't know your environment , so I don't comment on it like an expert.
But I do know cold. It was -39 two weeks ago here.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have exercise induced asthma. Try handling the sub-zero, very dry air with that without a warm car in the morning. It's an instant attack. Try driving when you can't breathe. It's a recipe for disaster.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits

And de-icing solution is not good for your car, or concrete driveway...

Nor it is good for your hands but hospital staff lather it on multiple times in a day.

Regardless of it all...you can complain all you want about a fine. Sure, it is no one's business what you do on your property. Dispute it with the same cries you show on here. The judge may not care. If the law doesn't change, then what are you going to do? Riot on the streets?

I don't agree with the fines. I personally think that is plain stupid and cops should be focused on hunting criminals instead of innocent property owners.

That said, if nothing changes and fines keep getting given to people warming up their cars without being in the presence of their car, at least try to decrease the chances of getting fines. That is what I have been posting on here...ie. Ways to AVOID getting a fine.

If no one cares about prevention, then that's "FINE" by me...just don't say I didn't help out finding a "solution" to the problem.

*peace*

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Even though we're on a dead-end street in a nil-crime area, I still refuse to allow my husband to start 'er up & walk away. It's a theft or accident liability unattended. Just because the odds are small doesn't mean it can't happen, and it's that "Never gonna happen to me!" mindset that results in a really bad day, or heavy thing to grapple with for life. Not worth it.

We sit in it while it warms. It's not warm by any means in the winter where I am in MI, but that's what gloves, a hat & a scarf is for. In my husband's case, ear warmers, too. Takes 5 minutes of supervised warming & he's good to go.
This isn't a difficult compromise.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Easy money, when it's cold outside and you are felling lazy and no criminals in sight, just fine people for warming their car in the driveway..... Itasca win win for the state and the cops, no one cares about you plebs so suck it up, they are protecting you from yourself.
edit on 26-1-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I don't agree with the fines either. However, honest people who carry the burden of taxes and personal liability for nimrods who can't act right shouldn't be persecuted for trying to take care of their own property.
Weather is a mean s.o.b. to people and machinery.
That said, you should be able to start your car and mind your other buisness at hand for 10 minutes without getting a fine. If the police can be there to give a citation, they can damn well stop criminals from stealing cars.
I'm all about loss prevention, hence warming up your car, and having clear windshields to see through.
I moved away from that nonsense years ago, but it's still a sore subject as I have gotten one of these fines before I moved.
People should have a reasonable right to a peaceful life, including the right to not damage their belongings.
Just because some people can't get their act together, doesn't automatically make us their mothers, having to worry about their idiotic life choices.
I watched quite a few genius moves by city leaders, and this was one.
I have no intentions of damaging my equipment or jeapordizing the publics safety by driving with a fogged up, ice encrusted vehicle because mr. hoodrat thinks it's ok to steal my car/truck.
And no honest person should have to worry a b out such things, however, protecting the rights of criminals has become more important than protecting the rights of noncriminals because criminals don't pay taxes, don't buy houses, and don't work for a living.
But they sure are good at suing people, and always manage to have the backing of media hounds, and are always good for attention for social injustice.
Such things have become more useful to politicians, than the hardworking tax base that behave themselves.
It's sad, but I don't make the rules.
If I did, it would be legal to remove such cretins from the populous.
Again, no ill will towards you personally, just tired of scumbags capitalizing off honest folk.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.tmj4.com...

This is complete BS!
I can understand this on public streets, but to tell a person that they can't warm up their car in their own private driveway is crazy. The reason they are doing it is even more crazy, because criminals might take your car, so we are going to ticket you.
Here's a really crazy thought, how about punish criminals harder so they will be less tempted to do it.

Holy smokes!

Its now a crime not to do everything in your power to prevent others from being able to commit a crime.

There's a law similar to this over in Canada, you can't leave your car running, but it has a different reason, there they are mostly concerned with "emissions" from the exhaust. So, you can't leave your car engine running, while your car is stationary and not moving, even if you're sitting in the car in Canada, because they'll give you a ticket for polluting the environment unnecessarily. So, no waiting outside the store, while your family member runs in to buy something, with your car engine running to keep you warm. You've got to switch off the engine. They are even making cars today that switch off the engine when the car is simply stopped at traffic lights, this "rule" has been implemented and is now mostly automatic in many newer car models.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
They should make it a crime to have your doors unlocked at home.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh that's next, then no purses or wallets, because you know thieves, so we'll all have to have chips.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Mine are unlocked 24/7.

If you need something, ask. I'll help you out as best I can manage.
If you you come in trying to take without asking....

.454 casull. All 5 in the cylinder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join