It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man captures video of "patient dumping" outside Baltimore hospital

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
They will get sued and forced to pay out:

www.fiercehealthcare.com/healthcare/ca-hospital-agrees-to-1m-patient-dumping-settlement

www.latimes.com...

www.nytimes.com...

"LOS ANGELES, Feb. 22 — For a year, reports have surfaced that hospitals here have left homeless patients on downtown streets, including a paraplegic man wearing a hospital gown and colostomy bag who witnesses say pulled himself through the streets with a plastic bag of his belongings held in his teeth."
edit on 11-1-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
That was so wrong on so many counts. Just goes to show the value that some put on a human life, disgusting.

I wish they could make that security detail dress in hospital gowns and do the night shift outside. I wonder how they would enjoy that? Hmmmmm

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Someone should make a MAGA meme with that paraplegic man crawling through the streets with the plastic bag in his mouth.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't wish misfortune on anybody but it cases like this. I hope and almost pray that the ones responsible for setting this lady out and to the others in her position. I hope karma catches you on the street and dishes out a life long fury of hell and misory on your pompus ass. This is not how you treat others fellow humans no matter the situation. No money they are grants and Charity's to help, drugs well get them help, if you are full put a cot in the hall. Yeah this pissed me off, what the hell is happening to this world do we not care anymore, do we worry more about our bottom line at the expense of others. I know all I'm doing is making loud noises and waving my arms in the air but this is someones mom, sister, wife, loved one.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Gothmog

Agreed--I'm willing to bet that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Like you, I don't condone the behavior, but then again, hospitals cannot be used as free room and board by the homeless.

Like I noted in my previous comment, I need more information on this one. Regardless, they should not have put her out on the street in front of the hospital in a hospital gown in freezing weather--that's unacceptable at a human level.

As I remember reading an article on this back in the day , if the patient does not give them an address , theyhave to take the patient back to the point they were picked up at. By law .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

So, they took her back to the same hospital?? No one was arrested?? What the heck?? This is wrong on so many levels.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Agreed--I'm willing to bet that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Like you, I don't condone the behavior, but then again, hospitals cannot be used as free room and board by the homeless.

Like I noted in my previous comment, I need more information on this one. Regardless, they should not have put her out on the street in front of the hospital in a hospital gown in freezing weather--that's unacceptable at a human level.

As I remember reading an article on this back in the day , if the patient does not give them an address , theyhave to take the patient back to the point they were picked up at. By law .

Maybe so, but in a hospital gown? What happened to her clothing? if she wasn't capable of dressing herself, then surely police being called, or some social service, would be better than what we saw here. I can totally understand the issues with homeless people taking advantage, but this is too much.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

And we have wall street to think about.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Not seeing updates as of yet, still under investigation, anyone has one please share.

Past incidences and how they were addressed:
Minnesota 2011 updated in 2015

The report paraphrased a police officer as saying: “The triage nurse indicated to the police officer that the patient was passing out in the waiting room, that they could not have that and that the (emergency room) was too full and they could not take him.”

A second hospital wound up providing a medical screening examination and diagnostic tests for the patient, who was sent home after six hours, according to the report.

Unity has a policy related to implementation of a federal law known as EMTALA – the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act – that says the hospital must provide a screening exam to anyone who requests treatment, the report stated. The Health Department recommended that Unity be found out of compliance with EMTALA regulations.
Source

Employees received additional mandatory education on this issue.

Riding a Greyhound bus on a two-day trip from Las Vegas to Flint, Michigan, Clorissa Porter didn’t have any food with her. Her bus ticket was courtesy of officials at the state-run Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas, who covered their patient’s fare after she did a two-day stay at the hospital. Strangers and fellow passengers shared meals with her before she arrived in Michigan with no one there to turn to for help.

Las Vegas for psychiatric patients file federal law suit

The account is contained within the allegations in a federal lawsuit two former patients of the state-run hospital have filed over its practice of “patient dumping” — a practice that gained notoriety in 2013. The lawsuit, filed late Tuesday, seeks class-action status, so any ruling would apply to more than 1,500 former patients of the hospital. The case’s allegations offer another window into patient dumping, a practice at Rawson-Neal in which officials put mental health patients on Greyhound buses and sent them out of the state on a one-way ticket without a treatment plan or adequate resources.

An investigation by the Sacramento Bee first exposed patient dumping, prompting a state probe in 2013, the firings of two Rawson-Neal employees and an overhaul of discharge policies.
More

Two employees were fired. This law suit that seeks to prevent this from happening hasn't been filed.

In the following case, resulted in the hospital paying a fine:
Hospital accused of dumping L.A. homeless woman to pay $125,000 fine - see here

edit on 11-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: unclosed link tags

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That's US health care for you

If you had to go for a 2 week hospital stay here in Belgium, probably costs you 200$, and you get 75% back from your medical insurance, everyone has insurance over here, not work related (80$/month for the whole family)

I feel very sad watching that poor women, left by that group of thugs

edit on 11-1-2018 by Ddrneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I agree, even sadder doubt anything will happen in reprocussion, probably why they do this knowing the patient wont take action despite it being against Federal law- EMTALA . My post above explores some results of complaints against these actions.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: Gothmog

Maybe so, but in a hospital gown? What happened to her clothing? if she wasn't capable of dressing herself, then surely police being called, or some social service, would be better than what we saw here. I can totally understand the issues with homeless people taking advantage, but this is too much.

I would say , probably with her.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
do they have a reason?

hospitals are businesses, for profit.

they're not hotels, low income housing, or homeless shelters.

what do you do, if after treating your patients failed heroin OD suicide, if they refuse to leave?

I mean, they can't refuse service... but they very well can refuse free room and board.

Hospital rent is pricey.
Generally $1000.00/day in u.s.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I am not excusing this video or what it implies, but there are two sides to every story.

This is a post written by a nurse in Portland.

In it, she talks about the homeless, drug addiction, and mental illness and what those three issues an societies complete and total lack of ability to seriously address any of those problems in any real way mean for hospitals ... likely like the one of this post.

I urge everyone to read it and think long and hard about what's really going on and the costs it imposes, and understand there are no easy answers because I know what the knee jerk will be -- socialize health care! But that isn't it. Socializing health care won't really fix these problems. It will just make *you* feel better. It won't help the homeless or cure the addicts or stop them using the ERs as cheap flop houses and it won't really address the effects of mental illness on all of these either.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Updates:
University of Maryland hospital apologizes for its failure to discharged patient found on street in hospital gown

“We take full responsibility for this failure,” Dr. Mohan Suntha said during a Thursday afternoon news conference. The hospital did not provide “basic humanity and compassion,” he added.
- Source
Suntha, president and CEO of the hospital says they are investigating the circumstances.

--------------------------------------------

Cheryl told CBS that at age 16, Rebecca was diagnosed with bipolar schizoaffective disorder and Asperger's syndrome. For the past four years, she had been living at a residential youth program, but on Christmas Eve she was ejected from the facility for failing to take her medication.

A short time later, Rebecca stopped communicating with her family. When Cheryl went to file a missing persons report with police, she learned that the 22-year-old had been admitted into the hospital in Baltimore.

Source

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

This is what I'd consider anti humanity. Who does this, it's unfathomable and disgusting, a revamp is in order.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Nice

May god have mercy on your soul, if you have one.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
There's a total lack of resources in this country and if you're mentally ill it can be extremely difficult to get help especially if you don't have friends and family or a support network. It's only about to get worse with mandate the president passed that people need to work to qualify for medicaid. Also they're cutting federal funding for low income mental health and drug treatment programs through human services.

My mom used these resources to get me help when I got schizophrenia at age 18. I didn't have insurance when I got sick. My mom didn't know what was wrong with me at the time. She was able to get me medicaid and get me hospitalized.

It's been 20 years since I got schizophrenia. I only have two people that look out for me and both are in ill health. In a few years I'm going to be alone. My biggest fear is being able to get my medication. Without it I can't tie my own shoes.

I'm well aware of what could happen if I get sick and have no one to help. I'm on disability but I can't fully take care of myself. I'm worried sick with all of the cuts they're making to programs. I have an exit plan should something happen in the future and I can't get my medication. I won't end up homeless or in prison.

Heres an article about cuts to human services

www.yahoo.com...

Heres an arcticle about medicaid

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

This is what I'd consider anti humanity. Who does this, it's unfathomable and disgusting, a revamp is in order.

This is common place, humanity is the enemy of capitalism, oh sorry I meant progress.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

When will the US join the civilised world?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join