It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xylitol and Dogs....EXTREME DANGER

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just a heads up for anyone that doesn't know...Xylitol is EXTREMELY toxic to dogs. I am finding this out the hard way after mine ate a "cup holder" package of Ice Breakers Ice Cubes gum. He is now hospitalized with liver failure. Lucky he is still alive at this point as even a couple pieces of this can kill a dog. He ingested close to 40 pieces at 1.15 gms of xylitol per piece. I am hoping for the best but outlook isn't real uplifting at this point. I am mad as hell at my inlaws for not watching him and allowing him to eat whatever at the house while they were supposed to be taking care of the kids and my dog Ripley. I always put everything edible out of his reach as I know there are plenty of things that are toxic to dogs, but did not know about xylitol and gum until today. This is the second time in as many days the inlaws have allowed this to happen too. First time was a big package of easy bake chocolate that I caught in time to flush it out after talking to the vet. Sad part is they didn't even tell me about the gum. One of my kids did this morning after I took him to the vet because he was puking and pissing everywhere. He was super lethargic and could barely walk when I got up so I immediately took him in.

Fingers crossed.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I had a dog that ate about fifteen slices of gum containing xylitol. It had no effect on him, other than he pooped out a blue turd the next day.
He also got into a new unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and ate all of them... again, no ill effects.
One of his favorite foods was cheeseburgers with fried onions, until I found out that onions are supposed to be poisonous for dogs.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Vets and in-laws can’t do everything in the world and grovel to each and everyone’s needs unfortunately.

We are only human and don’t have eyes everywhere...

However as a veterinary surgeon myself, I feel and understand your frustration,

Hoping for you that Ripley makes it... keep us updated please.

Warmest

Lags
edit on 28-12-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap grammar

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I would be incensed.

If a purse is left within reach, our pooch will pull everything out and take it apart, make up, gum, cough drops.

But we know about this sneaky side of her behavior from experience and remind ourselves not to leave things where she can get at them. Its been trained into our nature.

I had a friend who left her dog with a neighbor while away. It died after eating rat bait out back from one of those little store bought bait 'trays'.

How awful is that accident ?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Praying for your pup!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I had a dog that ate about fifteen slices of gum containing xylitol. It had no effect on him, other than he pooped out a blue turd the next day.
He also got into a new unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and ate all of them... again, no ill effects.
One of his favorite foods was cheeseburgers with fried onions, until I found out that onions are supposed to be poisonous for dogs.

Some humans are allergic, go into anaphylactic shock if they eat the wrong thing. But us humans know what not to eat don't we?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Of course you're upset. Who wouldn't be.

Come on Ripley! You can get through this!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It is really frustrating. Of course, when you let people take care of your pets, it's a risk you always take. You hope they will take the same care of them that you would because you regard them as family, but not everyone loves your pets like you do. I have the extra trouble of being an aquarium hobbyist. Most people understand the love people have for cats and dogs, but when you start talking about tropical fish beyond guppies ... fish with specialized care needs and diets ... people just sort of zone out and don't get it.

But even when you own and love the critters in question, they can be super frustrating. We had a cat who would go out of her way to get ahold of chocolate which is supposed to be toxic to both cats and dogs (theobromine). No matter how well you'd think you had it locked down, she'd do her best to get into it. I once found out that the sealed tub I had the brownies in was no obstacles to her and that she'd been poaching brownies out of it one by one ...

I do hope for the best for you furry buddy Ripley.
edit on 28-12-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
My parents dog got in to Halloween candy and died due to xylitol poisoning.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Xylitol is found in some peanut butters, and baked goods as well. There are so many things that you have to read the labels on these days, just in case.

I sure hope your pup pulls through....I'm guessing the inlaws won't be trusted with dogs again.....

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Xylitol is found in some peanut butters, and baked goods as well. There are so many things that you have to read the labels on these days, just in case.

I checked my peanut butter, Jiff brand, and xylitol is not shown. (My dogs sometimes have peanut butter and vanilla wafer sandwiches.)

I then checked a package of Trident gum, and it is not shown either. I thought it did so I looked it up, and it does not.
(not that I would give them gum, Just thinking I need to be more careful where I keep it.)

Anyway, thanks for the info. I will be more mindful of this in the future.

*still thinking about Ripley.

edit on 12/28/2017 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

You really want to check anything that says sugar-free. Xylitol is the main sugar-free sweetener in those types of candies.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: snowspirit

I checked my peanut butter, Jiff brand, and xylitol is not shown. (My dogs sometimes have peanut butter and vanilla wafer sandwiches.)

I then checked a package of Trident gum, and it is not shown either. I thought it did so I looked it up, and it does not.
(not that I would give them gum, Just thinking I need to be more careful where I keep it.)

Anyway, thanks for the info. I will be more mindful of this in the future.

*still thinking about Ripley.

I think the instances where peanut butter is mixed with xylitol are for people looking for sugar free peanut butter.
Here is a link that has more info and a futher link there to a more extensive list of foods containing xylitol.
The dodo.com

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Did the the same, ran and looked at the labels again. Seems to be more prevalent in item's marketed for low in sugar. ( not sugar free. But low sugar 80-20 Sugar Xylitol )

I've looked before and did find it in cheap store-bargain brands of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise that I would use in marinades.. check your condiments!
Don't give the pooch the rest of your hotdog unless it's plain.

Heinz brand is ok still as they still use fructose corn syrups.
Seems food companies are sneaking it in more and more lately as this problem seems worse than before.

Sorry VC,
I'll keep positive thoughts.
edit on 28-12-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Vets and in-laws can’t do everything in the world and grovel to each and everyone’s needs unfortunately.

Warmest

Lags

Can you tell me where you work, so I can avoid you like the plague?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Good luck, hang in there, dogs always surprise us by how tough they are.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I’m sorry that your baby is so sick! I hope Ripley pulls through. Thank you for the heads up regarding xylitol. This is new information to me! My husband is diabetic, so we have a lot of sugar free food in the house. You may have saved other pets with this information.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Warmest

Lags

Can you tell me where you work, so I can avoid you like the plague?

France.

Can you elaborate please?

Thank you.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Sure, no problem.

A guy is on here talking about his sick animal, and warning others of the dangers.

To me you came across as uncaring and condescending with the grovel comment.

Maybe I read too far into it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Maybe I read too far into it.

I think you did unfortunately.

Typed words are not the same as if we were discussing face to face unfortunately and can be misunderstood.

Have a great day.

Warmest

Lags

<<   2  3  4 >>

join