It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Shipping, Where 2 day shipping really isn't 2 day shipping

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm a long time Amazon user. I've used prime on and off for the last couple of years. The first year of prime they would do anything to make sure you got your package in 2 days. Now good luck, they have changed the meaning of 2 days. So now if you order, it's two days from whenever they want to update it on their tracking website to look like 2 day shipping. I know first world problems, but there is a deeper issue here. When I was in college I got into a huge arguement with my professor about Marketing, and how companies lie to get you to buy the product. Has anybody every ordered food from a fast food place that looks anything like the marking photo? Professor said companies are honest, if it show two buns and one patty, it's the truth. I think it is bait and switch. But I digress, there was a time when people wouldn't stand for this kind of stuff. Have we gotten to soft as consumers because of our throwaway society? It is either two days shipping or it isn't, there shouldn't be anything in between. If they can't do that call it something else, "fast as we can shipping", "faster than if you don't pay for extra membership fees" etc. Just venting because I see so many lies everywhere in marketing now. Even in stores, I've noticed that they are putting product in places to trick you to think it is on sale when it isn't (talking to you Hobby Lobby). I'm old, my eyes can't see that tiny tiny find print sometimes.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I always get my packages in 2 days. Recently, I had to wait 3 days because Fed Ex ran into a problem. According to Fed Ex, they were dealing with a natural disaster. I live about 30 miles away from where this disaster was occurring and check my weather app, clear skies and sunny days.

I wouldn't blame that on Amazon though.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It should be noted that companies like Amazon rely on UPS/FED ex for shipping, and that the employees of those companies are striking/planning to strike due to changes in their healthcare benefits and 70 + hour work weeks, especially during the holiday season.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I refuse to buy prime.

Most shipping used to be two day from Amazon anyway.

it still is, actually- says so on the label.

instead, they sit on my orders for 5-7 business days, then ship them 2-day.

I call it extortion. screw them. eBay generally has same or better prices and they ship plenty fast. screw the big guys.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Amazon mostly uses the post office for my packages. I was a lil surprised Fed Ex was delivering my package when I went to track it. You're right though, its hell at those two companies right now because of the holiday season but this is where the people working there make a lot of money because of overtime. My bro-in law works at UPS and hates the job but definitely works his ass off during the holidays.

Have there been strikes at either company lately?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I know they've been threatening it, whether it will happen or has happened yet I don't know.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I had prime for about a year. I ordered something on 4 different occasions and 2 of the things came about 2 weeks late and the other 2 things they had to refund my money. Promptly canceled. Probably wasn't their fault, but really? I gave up.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I'm wondering if Fed Ex's natural disaster was actually a strike. Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I get things on average 3-6 days after ordering them. If I get it in two days I am really shocked. I live near a gigantic distribution center. They have these little pick up areas, and I think they want to "force" people to start using them. Hell no, why would I pay for membership so I can drive and pick up myself? I have no problems with how long Fed Ex or UPS takes, it is the fact that Amazon is saying 2 day shipping. It is very misleading. I think they need to change it. I feel bad for the drivers I know they are on the short end of the stick and probably get a lot of the blame for a lot of this. Can you imagine if they did strike about two weeks before Christmas, it would be crazy! I learned my lesson years ago. Don't wait to order presents, it is too risky and you might not get them in time!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Never used prime but I hate dishonesty.

Got a delivery notification telling me an order had been despatched and it would be with me shortly.
Three days later got another email saying that when they went to pick my order they found it was mashed and the last one so they offered me a refund.

I've worked in warehousing before and I would've got an earfull if I'd done that so made a note to give them crappy feedback.

Naughty blighters!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sorry hearing that you've experienced issues with orders before. Never experienced any issues, other than typical items not ready for shipment for while but that happens. Once the items do ship get them within two days so can't really can't fault them for that.

The other comment you made about food looking different than what you receive. When companies do the pictures they hire food artists. When they make the food sometimes the food can be raw or not food at all. If you can find it there was a really good documentary about 6 years ago about food artiest . It's so insane what they can do and make look perfect with things that should not work but do come out perfect in the end. This is not a bait an switch at least to me. This same trick is used for just about anything out in the world.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Ok, but just because you live near a distribution center doesn't necessarily mean that the items you ordered came from the distribution center. Some of the stuff I've ordered on Amazon came from third party vendors and small businesses who just use Amazon to sell their products to you directly. Those items generally take longer then two days, so are you certain you read everything closely or did you just assume that because it was bought on Amazon it was connected to Prime?

Not everything is.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Having a laugh...I just sent a package today (thursday early am) to my daughter USPS Priority 2-3 day, guaranteed to be there by Monday. I did make a joke with the post office about Monday actually being four days from now!

It is Christmas time, so I expect that it is a lot busier.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
the problem is not just with Amazon. I order product from re-sellers. At present, we are getting many instances where a certain web site shows the product is in stock, but it turns out it's not available at all. Yet they are gladly willing to let you pay and have to wait for the refund.

It's a vicious world.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't buy often enough to justify prime.

I just ordered a cell phone stand couple of days ago and 'somehow' they signed me up.

After my order went through I promptly canceled prime with do not renew

Shipped pretty fast cause I received it today.
edit on 7-12-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Maybe you are not old enough to become jaded yet by about any business that that is IN business. Most of us expect less then we are promised to expect. Take that tact and you won't be disappointed. Reality is a bitch and that applies here.

BTW: Last week a person I know ordered something from Amazon on a Thursday afternoon and received it the next day, Friday! I knew that Amazon was opening and outlet in Austin and hiring, but it looks like they are in operation. That parcel of the friend was delivered to a small town 30 miles east of Austin.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

This is exactly what I am saying. I don't want to just take that tact, When I order a Ham and cheese sandwich, I don't want pink colored turkey! Maybe if we all demanded higher standards from companies they would give it to us, but they know a large part of the population has no fight left in them.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If amazon takes more than 2 days on my 2 day shipping I email them and they refund my shipping charges with no questions asked.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
My wife and I belong to Amazon Prime and I think it's a bargain. $8.25/mo and it includes free 2 day shipping, free kindle books (my wife is an avid reader), HUGE amount of free streaming music selections and a nice selection of free HD movies, documentaries and TV shows. You have to see who's fulfilling the order. If it's Amazon, then you can count on 2 day delivery roughly 80% of the time. If it's a third party seller, then 2 day delivery can be a crap shoot. I don't really mind, because if my package doesn't arrive in two days, it's delivered by the third day. Plus, I use the Amazon Chase card which offers reward money towards future purchases. I pay off the card every month to avoid interest. I worked at UPS for 31 years before retiring and I can tell you every hub, from right after Thanksgiving to Christmas eve, is an absolute madhouse. I drove in the 80's and went nights in 1992, loading the package cars. Every truck goes out with over 200+ stops (some over 300!) and that DOES NOT include the drivers pick up accounts. UPS NEVER plans very well for peak Christmas volume and as a result MANY packages never even leave the building.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
First world problem. Order early. I don't have prime. I just accumulate orders until over the limit and choose free shipping. My last package was to be delivered December 8th. It showed up Tuesday. For the calendar impaired, that was December 5th. Really, choose something else to be outraged about. This ain't worth it.

<<   2  3 >>

join