It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STUDY - Women Are Less Likely To Receive Life-Saving C.P.R. from Passerbys.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I am more apprehensive bout breaking a rib.

But then again never been in that kind of situation.

Unless you've had some training FORGET about it.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: beeteeSuing people for saving your life should not be legally possible, in my opinion. If it is, the system needs to be changed, asap.

Ummm...I've got a coworker here at work that told us straight up that if he collapses and starts to twitch...that if we give him CPR...he'll sue...He then told us to leave him twitching for thirty minutes before calling the ambulance...

I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with touching his boobies though...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Breaking ribs is almost inevitable when doing proper compressions, and not really anything to worry about in a cardiac arrest scenario. The emergency line operator will tell you the same thing, hopefully.

It is important to keep at It, and not stop, if/when ribs do break. And get help, because after little while you will be quite exhausted.

An automatic defibrillator, if available, will be more likely to succeed in reestablishing a rhythm if preceded by at least a couple of minutes of quality CPR.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

While you know the individual better than I do, it is one thing to talk about such a scenario and quite another to actually experience it.

Most people I have talked to, after the fact, are pretty terrified and grateful for anyone who helped them.

It's pretty sad though, that your co-worker should even say such a thing.

Makes me sad, at least.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
People have been afraid to intervene when witnessing a crime, for ages. But I think this fear of administering life-saving Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation to women, is related to the growing number of sexual harassment complaints and lawsuits being filed.

If you suffer cardiac arrest in public, just being a woman means you’re less likely to receive potentially life-saving CPR from a passerby, according to a new study.

Strangers may be reluctant to undo a woman’s clothing and touch her breasts, even if it means they can save her life, says a lead researcher on the study.

“This is not a time to be squeamish,” said Dr. Benjamin Abella of the University of Pennsylvania, who urged strangers to get over their inhibitions and help in an emergency.

Only 39 percent of women suffering cardiac arrest in a public place received CPR versus 45 percent of men, and men were 23 percent more likely to survive, the study found.

The study involved nearly 20,000 cases around the U.S. and was the first to examine gender differences in receiving heart help from the public, versus professional responders.
SOURCE: www.foxnews.com...

The timing of this trend couldn't be worse, because just as many women are now having heart attacks, as men. An astounding 25% of all female deaths in the U.S. are now due to heart issues, according to the Center for Disease Control. This amounts to approx 290,000 heart disease-related deaths annually for women.
SOURCE: www.cdc.gov...

Personally, I'd have no problem performing CPR on any female who needs it, or, standing behind a woman and thrusting under her breasts, if she's choking. Just like I'd do if a man needed help.

What about you? Are you someone who would administer CPR, or heimlick a female, without hesitation? Or would you say to yourself, "Nah...I might be hit with a sexual harrasment, or a rape claim!"

-CareWeMust

I can understand the sentiment I've been yelled at just for holding the door before. But on the other hand, I don't really think I'd stop to think twice about who it was that needed help. It's usually one of those automatic reactions you see something and you just kinda jump in.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This is terrible to hear. If someone is in need of help and you have the skills/tools/will to help, HELP THEM!

This is no different than the phone-zombies who stand around recording crimes instead of jumping in to help the victim or even calling 911. 911 will rarely if ever arrive in time to change the outcome (reactive vs proactive). The cell phone footage makes decent evidence, but no one needs 20 people filming the same thing.

How many times have law enforcement officers been entangled with a subject and yelled out for help from a crowd only to be met with silence/more recording? Several. Check YouTube.

Not just LEOs though, people witness crimes every day and do nothing to stop them. No wonder crims feel so emboldened.

Then again, maybe that is the difference between the armed and the disarmed/unarmed.

**When it comes to aiding random people, remember that you are generally protected by "good Samaritan laws" which protect you from any claims arising from your reasonable effort to render assistance.
edit on 11/13/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
For example, some states have laws that create a "duty to act" for bystanders and witnesses.

The state of Vermont has a law that says that you must render assistance if you know that someone else is in grave danger of physical harm if no one else is doing so and if doing so does not place your in peril. Failing to do so is a crime punishable by a fine of up to $100. (Vermont Statutes Annotated Title 12, section 519(a))

Helping others doesn’t always go as planned, and in your attempts to render assistance you can very easily cause more damage or make the situation worse. In such a situation, you could cause the person in need more harm, and that person might choose to sue you for the damages you cause.

Because of this many states have adopted laws that add protections whenever someone chooses to be a Good Samaritan or acts under the requirements of a Good Samaritan law. Such laws typically state, for example, that once you provide assistance as required by a Good Samaritan law, you are shielded from civil or criminal liability.

www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

Do not let fear win by causing inaction. It is an atrocity of the highest order to remain silent & still when someone's life hangs in the balance. Do unto others and all that... would you want people to stand around and film/ignore you if you were in cardiac/respiratory arrest? What if someone was trying to kidnap you? How about a violent assault where you're being beaten to death on the ground by a dangerous criminal?

A few years after I retired from law enforcement, I got into EMS and took an EMT class then finished my Paramedic certificate a little over a year later. I have performed such actions on various female patients, and when something like this happens, the last thing on your mind is modesty or liability. Your only thought is doing your best to save that person. We use EMT shears to remove clothing that blocks vital defibrillation points (apex & sternum) as well as to verify a bra doesn't contain metal wires which will cause damage to the PT during defibrillation or prevent the electricity from affecting the correct location. The rule is that you remove as much clothing as needed to do the job, and of course while doing your best to maintain their privacy and modesty. Gloves are used at all times, and there is never a good reason to directly touch someone's private locations in such a way.

Even in LE, when no female is available you can use the back of your hand in those areas for a cursory weapons check. Drugs and contraband will be found at the jail, where they have female deputies and proper facilities for in depth searches. I didn't do many searches like that (different times), but I always ensured they were conducted with the utmost respect of the law and suspect. Usually letting someone know that bringing drugs into a jail is a felony offense they will fess up or try to ditch them covertly

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Another backwards step for women courtesy of dumb ass feminism.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
boy, any old excuse to start another thread about how feminism has just ruined the world for you special little snowflakes, huh? i'm too scared to even LOOK at a woman because i will get accused of sexual harassment and my life will be ruined!!!

just admit your ego is too fragile to handle rejection, okay? you're not fooling anyone except your fellow redpill, incel, mgtow bros.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It's a risk I'll take, should I ever be placed in the situation.

((shrug))

I've never copped a feel in any other situation, I certainly wouldn't in that sort of scenario. Anyone who would is...disturbed.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
In this climate of sexual assault and sexual harassment claims, and feminism haunting every step and gesture and look a man makes, forget it, she'll get no aid from me, so it looks like she'll die. Hell, I'll even film it after I've called the paramedics.

Don't blame me, I didn't create the climate, so I won't pander to a woman's needs. I'm single by choice and absolutely loving it! Men could really empower themselves if they'd simply stop chasing the skirt. Men don't need women they just think they do, but women do need men.

There are some capable women out there, and can be independent of any man, so kudos to them, but most women couldn't change a light bulb.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

I agree they should stop chasing women (MGTOW is an excellent and intelligent choice), but you are absolutely shielded from any such claims arising from reasonable efforts to render aid.

I personally carry a Taser axon 2 body camera with me wherever I go. Not just because I carry a concealed weapon 100% of the time, but to prevent false claims from anyone (not just females).

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
boy, any old excuse to start another thread about how feminism has just ruined the world for you special little snowflakes, huh? i'm too scared to even LOOK at a woman because i will get accused of sexual harassment and my life will be ruined!!!

just admit your ego is too fragile to handle rejection, okay? you're not fooling anyone except your fellow redpill, incel, mgtow bros.

Is that why MGTOW and red-pilling gets under your skin so much? Who has the fragile ego again?

MGTOW couldn't give a crap less about feminism and its apologists, save for mocking the myriad of hilarious hate posts that show up on the forums (at MGTOW site) and pointing out the general hypocrisy of said ideologues.

No biggie though. You're entitled to believe whatever you want, just as we all are.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If unconscious it becomes "implied consent." Can't be sued.

Now in the "asking for sex" thread I posited that we are being programed to limit population growth Wouldn't this also apply here? Letting someone die because of sexual harassment claims?

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

MGTOW?

Obviously I've missed something, somewhere.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Agreed, absolutely is implied consent

I think the large population is definitely an issue, but we shouldn't just "let" anyone die (not that CPR or even ALS has much to say about it usually). Most non-witnessed arrests don't end very well sadly

Regardless of false claims, I'd rather do the "right" thing and have to defend it instead of doing nothing and not taking any risks. Defending the "right thing" position is pretty easy to do, especially given the clear legal tilt toward those who render assistance.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It is just an acronym for "men going their own way." I am personally married, but love to see the movement growing. It is basically a response to third wave feminism/false assault allegations, with a subset of that group focusing on red-pilling feminists (some very prolific feminists have been red-pilled, like Laci Green). It also is influenced heavily by the rhetoric of some third wave feminists, such as: "castrate all males" or "start killing male children" etc.

Granted, I don't agree with everything that comes out of the MGTOW groups/website, but it is interesting to see the level of hate these guys get especially since it is the male version of feminism. Some MGTOW guys hilariously call it "meninism"

Maybe it is like rival football teams, I do not know

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I thought there was a new accepted form of CPR that doesn't require all of machinations of the past. You just press on the upper abdomen to keep the blood flowing, but not hard enough to cause any damage.

Seems like you can stay clear of all the naughty bits if you do that.

-dex

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

suggest the reason might be the risk that one could get accused of touching a ladies bumps while giving cpr or watching for rise and fall of the chest. Suggest even some other women would not take that risk.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Sorry lady, my lawyer says you're gonna die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join