It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No evidence supporting theory Russia hacked DNC says NSA whistleblower

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

That fact is also deeply troubling.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Exactly.....Crowdstrike was not paid to tell the truth, they were paid to come up with the hack story.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

But didn't I read somewhere that Clowdstrike retracted their Russian conclusion?
edit on 8-11-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The Russians could easily have political operatives in the DNC. It is also very possible they have assets in the GOP. We have assets in theirs as well. Such action is a common part of intelligence gathering, as political intelligence is important to decision makers up the chain. Given the nature of intelligence missions, this information would not be leaked because it was certain to trigger tightened security/reprisals (therefore cutting off the flow of info - opposite of what intelligence agencies desire/spend lots of money on).

For this reason, even if the Russians had standard intelligence personnel in place (turned employee, mole, whatever the means) they wouldn't blow their cover over some potentially damaging data. It is far more likely a disgruntled insider wanted to deliver a blow against the DNC over a perceived sleight/personal vendetta of some kind, and conclusions from experts like Binney appear to support that assessment.

Just my take on it though rickymouse

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'd like to know how the "Forensicator" knew the file meta-data he used in his analysis was representative of what would have been found if the files had been examined on the confirmed disk of the original destination device.. you know, since he never had access to that. He had access to a zip file uploaded to the internet, assembled in God knows what manner or in how many steps, across how many machines.

I'd also like to know where Binny got his numbers, if not from the same place.

Unless he knows who the hacker is and actually has THAT GUY's machine/device at his disposal.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Did they? I will see if I can dig that up from anywhere!

If so, this is an interesting twist. Timelines of certain potentially related events become even more important.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Does this sort of nonsense really keep the base from tuning out?

You guys might want to pace yourselves.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: rickymouse

The Russians could easily have political operatives in the DNC. It is also very possible they have assets in the GOP. We have assets in theirs as well. Such action is a common part of intelligence gathering, as political intelligence is important to decision makers up the chain. Given the nature of intelligence missions, this information would not be leaked because it was certain to trigger tightened security/reprisals (therefore cutting off the flow of info - opposite of what intelligence agencies desire/spend lots of money on).

For this reason, even if the Russians had standard intelligence personnel in place (turned employee, mole, whatever the means) they wouldn't blow their cover over some potentially damaging data. It is far more likely a disgruntled insider wanted to deliver a blow against the DNC over a perceived sleight/personal vendetta of some kind, and conclusions from experts like Binney appear to support that assessment.

Just my take on it though rickymouse

A disgruntled insider(s) like the Aswan family?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

So you're saying you can't refute the information with facts? So you now resort to attacking the character of those you disagree with?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

So you're saying you can't refute the information with facts? So you now resort to attacking the character of those you disagree with?

I have been refuting the information with facts.

So you're saying you have reading comprehension issues?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Did they? I will see if I can dig that up from anywhere!

Yes, they did. Dug up here:

On Thursday, CrowdStrike walked back key parts of its Ukraine report.

The company removed language that said Ukraine's artillery lost 80 percent of the Soviet-era D-30 howitzers, which used aiming software that purportedly was hacked. Instead, the revised report cites figures of 15 to 20 percent losses in combat operations, attributing the figures to IISS.

The original CrowdStrike report was dated Dec. 22, 2016, and the updated report was dated March 23, 2017.

Cyber Firm Rewrites Part of Disputed Russian Hacking Report

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

The first two comments found in that article are very interesting.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

This thread is filled with disinformation. That has nothing to do with the CrowdStrike work for the DNC, it's about an app that was being used by Ukrainian artillery units.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

After CrowdStrike released its Ukraine report, company co-founder Dmitri Alperovitch claimed it provided added evidence of Russian election interference. In both hacks, he said, the company found malware used by "Fancy Bear," a group with ties to Russian intelligence agencies.

Did the above emphasized excerpt not occur?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Since you skipped over the OP and zeroed in on replies instead, would you mind debunking Binney's analysis since you're clearly convinced otherwise?

I'm assuming you've seen evidence proving this Russian connection right?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

What you're not getting is the analysis done by the Forensicator is confirmed by Binny's statements.

There are two separate and unconnected entities (the Forensicator and Binny) that have come to the same conclusion.

The analysis by "The Forensicator" is bunk. First off, it has nothing to do with the DNC, a point that keeps being missed by people running around talking about it like it's the holy grail.

The files in the archive he looked at was released via torrent on or about Sept 13. They were files from the DCCC — from the DCCC hack. If you look at it again real quick, you'll notice that the mod times are all 2016-07-05 (6-7 weeks after the CrowdStrike announcement).

Most importantly, the theoretical transfer, assuming that's what is evidenced, could have happened anywhere:

* it could have occurred between two computers at the DCCC prior to the final archive being exfiltrated.
* it could have occurred between two computers on the hacker's own network.
* it could also have occurred between two interim boxes in between or even between the DCCC box and an interim destination.

You see this?

That's a transfer I did earlier today between a VPS in Houston, TX and another in Windsor, Ontario at a different ISP. I regularly get ~20MB/s between them.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

That's not what was claimed though was it? What was claimed was that CrowdStrike walked back attribution in the DNC hack. That did not occur.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

No one is doubting the transfer speeds can be done over a reasonably fast WAN connection. The problem is that such activity would throw up major red flags to IPDS systems and security guys keeping an eye on those systems. There is a good likelihood that would've caused them to lose their access, which is a primary goal of an alleged APT: "persistence"

Why not break into smaller chunks and transmit more slowly to avoid detection? Wouldn't you want to maintain access?

Binney is no quack - he is widely respected in his field, and should be taken seriously.

Why is the conclusion of an insider job so difficult for you to consider? It appears to challenge some deeply held world view or something. If it were me, I wouldn't put too many chips on the table if you're betting for this Russia stuff to ever be actually proven.

All we have so far is innuendo, suggestion, accusation and summary judgment supporting that belief.

One piece of substantial evidence is all it would take.... ?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

No one is doubting the transfer speeds can be done over a reasonably fast WAN connection. The problem is that such activity would throw up major red flags to IPDS systems and security guys keeping an eye on those systems. There is a good likelihood that would've caused them to lose their access, which is a primary goal of an alleged APT: "persistence"

Why not break into smaller chunks and transmit more slowly to avoid detection? Wouldn't you want to maintain access?

Binney is no quack - he is widely respected in his field, and should be taken seriously.

Why is the conclusion of an insider job so difficult for you to consider? It appears to challenge some deeply held world view or something. If it were me, I wouldn't put too many chips on the table if you're betting for this Russia stuff to ever be actually proven.

All we have so far is innuendo, suggestion, accusation and summary judgment supporting that belief.

One piece of substantial evidence is all it would take.... ?

Can't rule out inter-system transfer on the same network (would not trip IPDS), then transfer to a USB stick. Manually walked out by an insider (i.e. Aswan).

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

That is an extremely valid and good point Krakatoa

I wholly believe it was an inside job, exfil'd via USB. My suspicion is that Seth Rich may have been part of that effort, although I admit I have no evidence to prove that. It is just a belief, based on timing. However, I believe an analysis of the timeline regarding both matters could shed some light on a few questions. Aswan or really anyone else could have been responsible though as far as I know
edit on 11/9/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join