It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAO: Climate change already costing US billions in losses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: xuenchen
Sounds like some left-over alarmists are still working.

I’ll give you that, the alarmist’s messaging approach was front and center back in the day. Need better messaging — I’ll lament not having beachfront property when I’m old enough to give a #.

I think there's pretty good evidence that the planet is experiencing Climate Change. I'm not going to argue the anthropogenic elements, just the effects of the warming that is already occurring.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery
More liberal B.S. to push the NWO. The real information was hidden by the past administration, not anymore. Climate change is natural chemtrails are not. a reply to: DexterRiley

Even if Climate Change is natural, shouldn't we still be prepared to fight the effects of rising sea levels and the other likely effects of rising global temperatures?

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I'm actually planning for the opposite effect, cooling over warming. C02 is plant food, and not nearly as big a deal as it's made out to be.
Also, remember, we can look to the past for technologies that have little use in warm environs. Just found this little nugget about the "fruit walls" of Paris.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Well then obviously the only real solution is to further increase the tax burden on taxpayers and regulate businesses, industries, until they are all gone, and ultimately have outright bans on combustion engines and on energy production that produce CO2 emissions until eliminated completely.

Collapse the economy and have all Americans living in a modern-day version of the dark ages.

Meanwhile in China, India and elsewhere....

With respect to limiting CO2, China and India are still committed to the Climate Change agreement that Trump removed the US from.

In another article I read today, China and France are now taking the lead in monitoring Climate Change now that the US has turned its back on the problem, and abdicated its global leadership position.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Its amazing, only the far left can believe in climate change. NOT. Why do over 90% of climate scientist all agree, that its happening and its real. I guess they all are far left, probably very uneducated scientist, who only have degrees in the field in question. Someone who maybe, lets say got a business degree would know far more about the climate than a climatologist.

That does appear to be the case, doesn't it. It used to be that actual scientists were the decision makers in those parts of the government concerned with science-related topics. Now it looks like the main requirement to head up those agencies is to have some time in with the Gold Man Sacks.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Its amazing, only the far left can believe in climate change. NOT. Why do over 90% of climate scientist all agree, that its happening and its real. I guess they all are far left, probably very uneducated scientist, who only have degrees in the field in question. Someone who maybe, lets say got a business degree would know far more about the climate than a climatologist.

90% of some 54 scientists is not a lot. Not when they had to move the goal posts and discard the opinions of 4,000+ other individuals.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Replace "Climate change" with "weather" and let's get back to work, shall we??!!??!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
So the cost of rebuilding homes and businesses damaged by normal natural disasters is now the cost of climate change?

Congrats on the stupidest post of the decade.
edit on 24-10-2017 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

link   
It is costing a lot of money; unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

Taxing the hell out of everyone isn't going to help (although that's always the first idea coming out of the political think tank)

We just have to understand that the Earth will keep going through changes for as long as it exists

link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Works 60 percent of the time, every time...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Climate Change (yawn) and no climate change which one costs us less money? I see where young penguins are starving in Antarctica the pack ice has grown and the Penguins are unable to walk the increased distance for food. Drive your car,get out the BBQ-"Save a Penguin"

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

90% of some 54 scientists is not a lot. Not when they had to move the goal posts and discard the opinions of 4,000+ other individuals.

Do you have a link for that?

And remember that the biggest disagreement I know of is not whether Climate Change is happening, but whether anthropogenic factors are the main forcing component.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

I'm actually planning for the opposite effect, cooling over warming. C02 is plant food, and not nearly as big a deal as it's made out to be.
Also, remember, we can look to the past for technologies that have little use in warm environs. Just found this little nugget about the "fruit walls" of Paris.

I like the robotic bees. Imagine a hacker getting into that system, and using them for nefarious reasons, rather than the crop saving purpose for which they are built.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Replace "Climate change" with "weather" and let's get back to work, shall we??!!??!

But isn't weather just a part of the global climate? Any changes to the global climate system will affect the weather everywhere.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So the cost of rebuilding homes and businesses damaged by normal natural disasters is now the cost of climate change?

I believe the report is based on the best available scientific evidence. And the conclusion of the science community is that these natural disasters are more powerful and plentiful because of the changes being experience by the global climate system.

Congrats on the stupidest post of the decade.

In the words of Forest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does."

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
It is costing a lot of money; unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

Taxing the hell out of everyone isn't going to help (although that's always the first idea coming out of the political think tank)

We just have to understand that the Earth will keep going through changes for as long as it exists

Yes, we'll continue to experience Earth changes as long as we live on this planet. Even the most radical measure that we can take to mitigate Climate Change will still take time to become effective.

However, we can address some of the costs of Climate Change. Probably a combination of taxes and new regulations.

This GAO report came to the conclusion that we are already experiencing the effects of Climate Change, to the tune of many billions of dollars per year.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

I’ll give you that, the alarmist’s messaging approach was front and center back in the day. Need better messaging — I’ll lament not having beachfront property when I’m old enough to give a #.

I think there's pretty good evidence that the planet is experiencing Climate Change. I'm not going to argue the anthropogenic elements, just the effects of the warming that is already occurring.

-dex

I’d advise you not to (argue the merits of AGW). Don’t know Xen from Adam, but there’s more truth in his one-liners than hyperbole; hyperbolic alarmism is very much an egregious factor in AGW being solidly rebuked by the citizenry of the U.S.A. As I said earlier, I’ll lament not having beachfront property when I’m old enough to give a #, in the meantime, I’ll do what we do pretty well: adapt. Climate change/disruption is old hat. Good, bad, or indifferent it’s time to move on. The opportunity “to do something about it” was when this could have been presented as an energy issue. The messaging would have been more effective.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on what you want to attribute to "climate change," rather than simply normal statistical variations in weather over time.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychicCroMag

Climate Change (yawn) and no climate change which one costs us less money? I see where young penguins are starving in Antarctica the pack ice has grown and the Penguins are unable to walk the increased distance for food. Drive your car,get out the BBQ-"Save a Penguin"

So, the singular global attribute of Antarctic sea ice increase is a reason to discount all of the other indicators of Climate Change?

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

relax the knee first, but am I to understand that all the recent disasters are due to Climate Change, yet all previous disasters were just things that happened?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join