It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollowood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Hollowood

Usually I am giddy whenever a display of moral superiority reveals itself to be no more than an extension of moral depravity, but in the case of Hollywood I cannot. The legends, the biographies, even the clichés had attested to what we had long suspected, but through wickedness or ignorance, never confronted: the rampant and systematic sexual abuse in La La Land. For that I am sickened and ashamed.

However, I am not as ashamed as many should be. It turns out that all the celebrity activism and advocacy, which always seems to occur during moments of self-congratulatory ritual (wherever there is a camera and golden statues), was all fake, an act which only actors could pull off. The same aristocracy that often uses its power and pull and platform to play moral arbiter and political judge, did nothing to bring to light the darkness dwelling within their own ranks, and because of it, more people fell victim. Because of a few brave souls, the abuse, injustice and the resonant silence of those who knew about it all along but did nothing to stop it, even hiding it, finally began to peep from behind the closing curtain.

It would do us well to remember that Harvey Weinstein was at a Woman’s March in January of 2017 and ask ourselves, “Why”? Besides making a case against mob protest—you can never know the evil dwelling within the crowds you are “showing solidarity” with—it shows that at least someone was using the march as a self-serving display of moral virtue.

In light of the countless accusations, we can safely say he wasn’t there to support women, or he might have actually done so in his day to day life instead of treating them like his play things. Perhaps he was there to prey on them. Of course, if he had tried anything untoward in that throng, in a setting where he had little of the power he was used to, he would have been ripped to shreds and beaten. No, just like his foundation aimed at supporting women’s rights and women directors, it is more likely he was there for one purpose and for one purpose only: to virtue-signal.

We should also recall Ashly Judd reciting strange poems about the sitting president to a mob, excoriating him for his remarks, his words, while saying absolutely nothing of the actual and concrete sexual assaults and injustices occurring in her own domain, of which she herself was a knowing victim.

Actress Uzo Aduba carried a sign that read “What Meryl Said”, referring to actress Meryl Streep, whom, while receiving a golden statue from her rich friends, used her platform to speak out against the sitting president’s words. It turns out that “what Meryl said” about the ongoing abuse and injustices committed by her friend Weinstein—“God”—was absolutely nothing.

Helen Mirren, despite her own run-ins with sexism and sexual abuse in her industry, was also at the Woman’s March on Washington. So too was Jessica Chastain, Kristen Stewart, and Gillian Anderson, all of whom were either abused, harassed, or have complained of the sexism in Hollywood in one way or another. What they got out of their activism besides the free publicity on social media is uncertain. But if the abuse and harassment occurred in hollywood, why do they march on the wrong side of the country?

Let’s give the activists the benefit of the doubt—they will march on Hollywood as they did on Washington. How could they not? Here we have evidence of systematic sexism and sexual abuse (even against children) at the hands of powerful and sadistic men hellbent on abusing their power. Countless victims are bravely coming forward pleading for help, and the activists no doubt have something brewing to fight it. Here they will put the predators on blast, if not for their own honor, then to warn future victims and perhaps save lives. They will stand up against real injustice and oppression—to actually do something—instead of revealing their displays for what they might as well be: the hollow political posturing of a self-interested aristocrat, just like Harvey Weinstein.

Thank you for reading,

LesMis
edit on 23-10-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The activists already are marching on Hollywood. So no, there is no 'double standard' as you imply.

And can we all please remember that sexual assault is not a problem of Hollywood. Women are at risk everywhere. The rate of sexual assaults at Colleges is an even bigger problem than Hollywood.

This trend I am seeing on ATS lately of it being only a Hollywood problem is disturbing.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

The so-called Womans March on Washington was a worldwide event that had nearly half a million participants in Washington alone. Where is this march on hollywood?

Men and Children are also at risk in hollywood. Take for example this very disturbing documentary.

edit on 23-10-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Painterz

The so-called Womans March on Washington was a worldwide event that had nearly half a million participants in Washington alone. Where is this march on hollywood?

Men and Children are also at risk in hollywood. Take for example this very disturbing documentary.

It's harder to march on Hollywood. All you really have to do to protest against Washington is choose which politicans you want to donate to (or don't donate to any). Tuning out of the Hollywood media machine is much harder. Few are willing to give up music, TV, and movies.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

It's harder to march on Hollywood. All you really have to do to protest against Washington is choose which politicans you want to donate to (or don't donate to any). Tuning out of the Hollywood media machine is much harder. Few are willing to give up music, TV, and movies.

That's true, myself included. I am a stage and film buff and I will not give up watching them. If the culture of silence surrounding hollywood is any indication, this problem extends beyond the movies. I think the best we can do at first is make it easier for victims to come forward, and to compel those who can stand up for them and protect them to do so.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Wait a minute, you're saying Hollywood is full of hypocrites? Damn your mouth. You mean the people who have unnecessary sex scenes in every movie, who treat starlets like so many sheep being lead to the slaughter, who revel in violence, gore and death, who sexualize younger and younger children each year, who have one of the most corrupt police forces in the country and yet go on to espouse they believe in equal rights, pacifism, and gun control are hypocritical? I think you're way off base with this one. /s

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
well written LesMis! For me, I gave up on listening to Hollywood celebs long ago. They live in a world so far removed from the common-person that, unless I see them on film, I ignore them completely. In fact, if I ran into a star, I wouldn't even want to have a conversation with them. Whatever problems exist among them, I don't care about. I'm sure there's a lot more depraved behaviour than we can even imagine.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Take on the Gay Mafia?

Fuggetaboutit!

They'll behead ya with a shiny platinum record, and then send you to the fishes in San Francisco Bay.

edit on 23-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
But ... but ... why is no one upset over Weinstein's racist abuse?!

Remember kids, because Weinstein didn't also abuse black women just as much as white ones. He's a racist and so is Hollywood!

What kind of sick mind takes the time to actually get angry that someone's perversion and tendency to victimize doesn't have a neat racial quota that can be observed?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

This has been the entertainment and modeling industry since there's been an entertainment and modeling industry. It's about time all this is coming to light.

Anyone who has worked in either industry knows what the score is. And has been.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That first video of David bradley is a must watch for everybody who wants to wake up to the powers that run the entertainment industry. You should check this one out too:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
From the earliest years, Hollywood has been portrayed as a place of questionable morals filled with reprobates of both (or all) sexes -- you know, like everywhere else. I don't know why people are acting so shocked.

Oh, that's right. The media outrage generator.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

This has been the entertainment and modeling industry since there's been an entertainment and modeling industry. It's about time all this is coming to light.

Anyone who has worked in either industry knows what the score is. And has been.

Yes, I am ashamed we didn't do something about it sooner. We all read the biographies. We all knew. Our silence was a choice, and we are in a sense complicit because of it.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Yes, I am ashamed we didn't do something about it sooner. We all read the biographies. We all knew. Our silence was a choice, and we are in a sense complicit because of it.

The people involved -- men and women -- were apparently fine with it, until they weren't. There are all kinds of crazy things going on in what used to be called "deviant subcultures," and one of the biggest reasons we don't put a stop to it is because the subculture accepts it and in some cases even wants it. I think that's the takeaway. It's neither our fault nor our problem.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

"Fine" with it or simply desperate enough to put up with whatever it took to make their career?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

The people involved -- men and women -- were apparently fine with it, until they weren't. There are all kinds of crazy things going on in what used to be called "deviant subcultures," and one of the biggest reasons we don't put a stop to it is because the subculture accepts it and in some cases even wants it. I think that's the takeaway. It's neither our fault nor our problem.

I take a little different approach. I prefer to call out injustice wherever I see it rather than resort to apathy. As I mentioned, silence too is a choice.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReligiousQuestionDude

Never heard Obama called an Isreali before.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
"Fine" with it or simply desperate enough to put up with whatever it took to make their career?

Either way. I don't try to judge other people's moral standards. You know there are some people out there -- men and women -- who feel that having sex with somebody in exchange for the chance to become a rich, world-famous movie star is a pretty small price to pay, and are happy to do it. I'm not talking about rape, which is definitely a crime. I'm talking about two people bargaining for something using sex.

It's like that old joke where a guy offers a woman $10,000.00 to have sex with him and she says okay, then he offers $100.00, and she indignantly refuses saying, "What do you think I am?" He responds, "We've already determined what you are, now we're just haggling over the price."

It's pretty old-fashioned to judge people according to some theoretical standard of morality, because any one of us could easily run afoul of that. I thought we were getting away from that, but I guess not.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I take a little different approach. I prefer to call out injustice wherever I see it rather than resort to apathy. As I mentioned, silence too is a choice.

Unless it's an obvious illegal rape, then it's all a choice. Quid pro quo is a choice. Sure some people regret it, and want to lighten their hearts by going public with it. But it's personal. If it didn't happen to you, how can you be absolutely sure what someone's motivations were? A bit of sex for a chance to get a role in a hit movie that could make you a huge, world-famous movie star? That's something that would almost be worth giving yourself a roofie.

I remember the guys on the Howard Stern show a long time ago talking about whether or not they'd give oral sex to another man for a million dollars. The answer across the board was, "A million bucks buys a lot of mouthwash."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join