It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Doesn't matter. They know exactly how a slave felt, they were bound, thrown in a dark room, watched roots with teacher acting as slave ship captain yell "things" at them. The only thing that is shame is this is the last class exposed to the truth.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I find it interesting that some of the most avid supporters of this teaching method were themselves part of the experimental values clarification models used starting from the 60's. Not real surprising. This may explain why they seem comfortable and at home with this teaching model and seem to agree even with this dramatic approach.

2.2 Role Playing Model Role Playing Model is an often opted for alternative to the aforementioned Value Clarification Model. This model demands much more active participation from students but, as we will see later in this paper, is considered to be more effective as well. Role Playing was formulated by Fannie and George Shaftel (1967). Some ideas have also been incorporated from the works of Mark Chesler and Robert Fox (1966). As given by Bruce Joyce, Role Playing helps students explore human relations- by enacting problems and then discussing the enactment, students together can explore feelings, values and problem-solving strategies. Role Playing as a model of teaching has roots in both personal and social dimensions of education. This helps individuals resolve personal dilemmas with the assistance of social groups. Regarding the social dimensions individuals work together and analyze social situations, with special reference to interpersonal problems. Herein, some students are given the part of role-players, while the rest are observers. Each person puts himself in the position of another person and then tries to interact with others who are playing roles. Doing so generates not just sympathy, but empathy. We learn to put ourselves in others’ shoes and consider problems with different perspectives. As empathy, sympathy, love, and friendship are generated during the interaction, role playing will be effectively carried out. Thus in order to have a clear understanding of oneself, understanding of others too, is essential. As Bruce Joyce puts it, “The essence of role playing is the involvement of participants and observers in a real problem situation and the desire for resolution an
. www.iosrjournals.org... This method of values clarification uses Role playing.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I wonder how many here would have been outraged had they read this version of a similar exercise reenacting slavery and the Underground Railroad in Atlanta Georgia
www.ajc.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Perhaps 10 year olds shouldn't be taught in such great detail about this issue yet. They are ten.

Georgia standards require fifth graders learn about how state’s rights and slavery fueled the growing tensions between the north and south. “It is very hard to bring that down to a 10-year-old’s level,
www.ajc.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Agreed, that's way too young to be exploring such political content with such an obvious bias. But that is what values clarification is for regardless of the bs cover of it being to help kids know what their own values are. Values clarification is and has always been for the purpose of disregarding parental upbringing and instilling the chosen social justice values of the political State.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I get the feeling that these leftist teachers don't give a sweet crap about the kids, it is all about ideology.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I get the feeling that these leftist teachers don't give a sweet crap about the kids, it is all about ideology.
yes I believe that's pretty much the case...all high and mighty do gooders who think they know all the way society should be according to their secular humanist values.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Then create your own thread, this is not the thread for that line of questioning. You're only going to get feelings/opinions here because that's all that matters in context with the OP. Even better, do your own research and prove yourself wrong. We've already established that nothing about ones opinion of the OP is "incorrect" since it is all subjective, so again that line of questioning is moot.

If you want to change, then change yourself, don't expect others to do it for you. You'll only truly change once you have a desire to change, which means you will need no proof, only a change in perspective.
edit on 23-9-2017 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

So people don't want to discuss it? They just want an echo chamber to complain?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

It's only an echo chamber if there is no one to oppose a view. Clearly you are in opposition, therefore this is not an echo chamber. That being said, you can't debate an absolute state with a subjective topic. State your opinion, let others state theirs, and agree to disagree, it's not hard.

Just because you disagree does not mean they're "wrong", they simply have a perspective that you can't understand, based on their own opinion. How you derive your opinion and how someone else derives their opinion really doesn't matter and I think that's why you're having such a difficult time with this. Once you accept that there is no definitive "right" or "wrong" here, then you'll understand why your line of questioning makes no sense in context with the OP.

Another persons "proof" is not ones own "proof" of concept. If you need to burn your finger to know that a fire is hot, then you make that choice for yourself; don't assume others need the same experience and vice versa.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I think it's a great exercise. Kid's are spoiled...and this is a weak punishment, at the end of they day the shackles come off and they go home.

My teacher offered extra credit to students who fasted with water for one week. His idea was that we would have a greater understanding of world poverty and hunger. This was optional, and he couldn't really tell if you were lying...

But you could really tell who was suffering...the smart kids became less involved and interested in anything but food

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

What the.....????? Ten YEARS???? Where were the parents?? How is that not child abuse?? Why are all involved not in jail? if I was an adult that had attended that school, I'd be filing a lawsuit.

Clearly the only way forward is to remove all evidence of slavery from the history books, and certainly not teach kids about it and or how inhumane it was.

Putin has a similar strategy, he has rewritten the history books in Russia to show that Stalin's way was a good thing and beneficial for his citizens .....

Teaching about what happened does not require students to be treated as slaves themselves, bound and tossed into a dark room. If a parent did that, they'd be arrested for child abuse.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

What the.....????? Ten YEARS???? Where were the parents?? How is that not child abuse?? Why are all involved not in jail? if I was an adult that had attended that school, I'd be filing a lawsuit.

Clearly the only way forward is to remove all evidence of slavery from the history books, and certainly not teach kids about it and or how inhumane it was.

Putin has a similar strategy, he has rewritten the history books in Russia to show that Stalin's way was a good thing and beneficial for his citizens .....

Teaching about what happened does not require students to be treated as slaves themselves, bound and tossed into a dark room. If a parent did that, they'd be arrested for child abuse.

I agree with you there, somehow though there is a balance that can be found, kids need to learn and understand the mistakes, hardships and pains of the past, no matter how ugly it is.

I would like to see a similar position in the U.S that Germany has taken, educating its citizens on mistakes made to avoid a repeat.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I agree with you there, somehow though there is a balance that can be found, kids need to learn and understand the mistakes, hardships and pains of the past, no matter how ugly it is.

I would like to see a similar position in the U.S that Germany has taken, educating its citizens on mistakes made to avoid a repeat.

Educating students on slavery has been done without resorting to such means. At this stage, people want to erase parts of the past, and then demand others are still accountable for the actions of those people in the past. That doesn't work. The people responsible for the actions at that school deserve prison time.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join