It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Nuclear Testing Effects Earth's Rotation???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Does it? I heard thats why they stopped the tests. How does it effect the rotation? It takes something alot bigger to effet the roation of the Earth, doesnt it?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MooMix3
Does it? I heard thats why they stopped the tests. How does it effect the rotation? It takes something alot bigger to effet the roation of the Earth, doesnt it?

First off, it would be nearly impossible to determine if they were affecting the earths rotation. I believe it would be highly unlikely. The only way to change the earths rotation (without involving something from outside of the planet) is to redistribute the mass of the earth (i.e. a large earthquake pushing a signifigant amount of mass towards the top of a mountain).

Underground nuclear tests have an extremly small effect on this. (much less than mining or other industries). Tests were stopped due to public concern regarding the long term effects of the radiation. Also, with advances in computing power the US and Russia decided they could satisfactorily simulate the tests.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
another way is to alter the diameter of the earth. This is apparently what happened, to a very small degree, with the tsunami, and is why its thought to have altered the length of day.

join