It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario to remove Sir John A. MacDonald's name from school's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Link

For those of you who don't know who he is, he is one of Canada's founding fathers and was Canada's first ever Prime Minister.

The union representing Ontario’s public elementary school teachers is calling on all elementary schools in the province to pull the name of Canada’s first prime minister from their buildings.

The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario passed a motion at its annual meeting last week calling on all school districts in Ontario to rename schools and buildings named after Sir John A. Macdonald.

The union said it wants the name change because of what it calls Macdonald’s role as the “architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples.” Macdonald was prime minister during the time the federal government approved the first residential schools in the country.

No surprise here at all for my city to follow suit and remove some history because it's potentially an offensive reminder of a brutal time in the past. I mean why stop there, he also has statues.. I'm sure they are coming down next, if not forcibly. His name is also plastered all over the country on many different buildings and streets. I know plenty of people that went to these school's and I don't think a single person even knew about the history, let alone got offended by it, because our school system was not very keen on teaching us about what happened to the indigenous people.

As a Canadian, I have nothing but respect and sympathy for them, and I'm glad the nation is taking great steps to improving their relationship. Having said that, my concern isn't about that but rather the dangerous precedent this "movement" is setting. It's already having a profound effect world wide and will only continue to grow. Where does it stop? Who gets to determine what goes next?

Dangerous road, and it boggles my mind how some of you can't see the path this leads to.

Hello 1984?

Food for thought - history usually repeats itself, but we barely know much about our history, and that's probably because this exact thing has happened before. Those who destroy history get to rewrite it.. and round and round we go..

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Next they are probably gonna demand that the US Constitution should be removed because it was created by slave owners.

link   
Seriously??!!!...

The lunatics have the asylum keys again,

Sing it with me, "History what is it good for??, Absolutely nothing"

(Unless it can be used for an agenda), time to start the book burning?..

RA

link   
Are you F'ing kidding me???

What's happening??

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Fer Jeebus sakes! I'm not remotely Canadian and I'm getting all hot under the collar with these reports from Aussieland, UK and Canadia!

Just brace yourselves, more monuments and name changes will happen before something breaks and returns to reason

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Fer Jeebus sakes! I'm not remotely Canadian and I'm getting all hot under the collar with these reports from Aussieland, UK and Canadia!

Just brace yourselves, more monuments and name changes will happen before something breaks and returns to reason

I'm afraid to think what's coming next.

Country name changes?
The originals were picked at a time peopie find offensive...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Your title is very misleading, as ludicrous as the idea is, it is just an idea by a teachers's union it is not going to happen. Your title states that it's going to happen, which is wrong.

For those of you who don't know who he is, he is one of Canada's founding fathers and was Canada's first ever Prime Minister.

He was also a drunken financial schemer surrounded by scandal and also helped implement the systematic genocide of the Canadian Natives.

Sounds like a stand up guy

Don't worry, your hero's statue isn't going anywhere.

EDIT:

It is not a statue, I meant to say that the school or building names will not change, neither will the street names. If they go after the statues, they will fail.

edit on 24-8-2017 by WhereAmEYE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

What's happening??

Whining stupid c#nts whinging about pointless BS because they can, knowing full well that the general public with any ounce of savvy will be shut down by the Liberal agenda...

RA

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: WhereAmEYE

It's not just an idea, the motion has been passed.

Hero? Lol I don't even know anything about him other than he was our first prime Minister. And trying to assassinate his character doesn't make removing his history any better.

History should stay as a reminder, good or bad.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: Jefferton

What's happening??

Whining stupid c#nts whinging about pointless BS because they can, knowing full well that the general public with any ounce of savvy will be shut down by the Liberal agenda...

RA

It needs to be stopped. I am usually against violence but.....

Is a good back-hand to the head considered violent?

Because they need it.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I don't know who to feel more sorry for, those people who are crying about history, or those people crying about people crying about history.

Both sides on this issue seem rather extreme and you all need to find some kind of balance before this madness gets any freaking worse, hard to imagine this idiocy getting worse but I know it can.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Easy.

One side functions on nothing but feelings and emotions and wants to remove anything they deem offensive.

The other side is trying to stop the removal of historical art pieces because of a group of emotional sensitive people.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

True! England; land of the Angles... you know, Germans.

UK = Nazi

Thats all it will take besides someone with a chain and crowbar.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Frickin idiocy. He's the equivalent of George Washington for our brethren below the border. A founder and 1st PM. Not squeaky clean but those were different times. I wouldn't be quick to discount this. You never know what stupid thing Kathleen Whine will do next.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

It's not just an idea, the motion has been passed.

Hero? Lol I don't even know anything about him other than he was our first prime Minister. And trying to assassinate his character doesn't make removing his history any better.

History should stay as a reminder, good or bad.

The motion has been passed, nothing more. This might give you a bit more information on how far this is from even being considered. It's simply a recommendation by a very biased group, it is up to the school boards to decide, this union has no say in the matter. This would probably make its way to the Ontario's Supreme court and obviously shot down due to the sheer stupidity.

The ETFO passed Pareja’s motion as a recommendation, which means it will now be up to different school boards across Ontario to decide whether they implement the change or not.

I have no dog in this fight, I don't like a lot of the statues and tributes to evil men, but I don't think denying history is the proper approach either.

Sorry for the "hero" jab, that was poor form on my behalf.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Exactly. It was a much different time in those days. No human is without sin..

MLK cheated on his wife over 45 times and he's still revered.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The entire history of humanity is BRUTAL. There's hardly any of it that isn't. That has been, and still is if you pay attention, a defining aspect of our history, if not the defining aspect. And leaders are almost always at the crux of decisions that will cause suffering. Civilization has been built on suffering. Sure, I would hope we can do better, though looking at the world today, I don't think we are. We are the same species that has been at war since the beginning of history.

The only purpose of tearing these statues down and replacing names is as a grab for totalitarian power. That's it. This is textbook revolution 101 for both communists and religious extremists. If they really wanted to promote higher ideals, they could build their own statues and put them up. But they aren't builders, they are destroyers.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Who knew American idiocracy was contagious.

We must find a cure!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Easy.

One side functions on nothing but feelings and emotions and wants to remove anything they deem offensive.

The other side is trying to stop the removal of historical art pieces because of a group of emotional sensitive people.

In my opinion, the major problem, IS "sides".

They have us so divided that we spend all day online arguing taking sides about this idiocy. I am not making light of the scenario, but we are being played. Even the most seasoned conspiracy theorists who claims to know about the men behind the curtain are getting caught up in this non sense.

I have no doubt that most of this outrage is engineered by the various alphabet agencies and their underlings, Soros isn't the only one causing this crap.

Racial tension is the point of Trump's presidency and it's working just like a charm.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

My message to SJWs trying to spread their message of destruction:

edit on 8/24/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join