It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of Detroit’s 8 mayoral candidates are felons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Putting the best foot forward?

Detroit — Half of the eight mayoral hopefuls on Detroit’s primary ballot next week have been convicted of felony crimes involving drugs, assault or weapons, a Detroit News analysis shows.

Three were charged with gun crimes and two for assault with intent to commit murder. Some of the offenses date back decades, the earliest to 1977. The most recent was in 2008.
www.detroitnews.com...

But "black" marks on your record show you have lived and over come challenges. This is what the NAACP feels about the candidates.

“Black marks on your record show you have lived a little and have overcome some challenges,” said Bowens, a former press secretary to Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer and NAACP activist. “They (candidates) deserve the opportunity to be heard, but they also deserve to have the kind of scrutiny that comes along with trying to get an important elected position.”

I guess I would like my leaders to not have felony firearm violations on their record. See they are in charge of the inner workings of the city and any felonies may speak to character flaws. But what do I know.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So they can't even vote for themselves?
Bbwwaahahahahaha

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Perhaps if more than one of the felons are elected they may not be able to be in the same room with out violating their parole.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Should make the debates interesting

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Being real they hand felonies out like candy in ALOT of places..

Get caught with one Percocet without an RX and your a felon ..

One ounce of pot.. felon..

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Oh, you mean the silly law thing that they will help shape?

But these cats have felony fire arm beefs. Not a little pinner.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Go the the debate for the mayor of Detroit and wear your body armor and pack a glock 19.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A new thrust for "Peer" voting !!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

After reading that, I'd say Bomer and Curtis Greene seem to be the two I'd worry least about. Bomer's conviction strikes me as being a result of a lkaw of questionable Constitutionality to begin with... possession of a loaded handgun in your own vehicle shouldn't be a crime by itself for anyone with a clean record. Greene seems to have been a dumb kid who has since made meaningful changes in his life.

Simpson's story seems fishy at best, and she seems absolutely unrepentant. Pitts, though? Thats a LONG and recent track record of violence and crime. If Detroit elects her, that's an ominous sign for their city's efforts to rebuild to the prosperous gem of America they were some decades ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Fair enough.. they might be horrible people..

I'm just saying felony means jack $-!T ..

You being a felon is only immoral or bad if only bad crimes are felonies..

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
When I was a kid Coleman Young ran Detroit. He was the biggest crook ever..... and they loved him. The more he enriched himself. the more admired he was. He turned Detroit into the mess it is now. Then Quame Fitzpatrick took the helm and tried to outdo Coleman,,,and to this day sits in prison claiming his innocence.

Detroit has been the hooker at the bachelor party being passed around for decades. Used for personal enrichment by everyone from the mayor to the school board members.

I remember one year when a reporter asked him about the high crime rate in Detroit he blamed it on the white people from the suburbs coming to Detroit to commit crimes.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I would imagine there are better qualified people that could fill those positions.

If I were wanting to continue the renaissance in Detroit I would want choir boys on my council and leadership positions.

But if these candidates are out of the joint, then why not?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

...so you're on board with reinstatement of 2nd amendment rights to felons who's crimes were unrelated to violence or weapons, I assume?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I think this fundamental right is and needs to be placed in responsible hands. Are felons irresponsible or not trustworthy?

With Detroit's history I would not vote for these guys with felonies. What the hell does it take for people to learn?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well it is Detroit....

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is what 55 years of Democrat rule looks like.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
This is what 55 years of Democrat rule looks like.

Oh being a felon is a per-requisite to running for mayor?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So they can't even vote for themselves?
Bbwwaahahahahaha

Felons are allowed to vote after they serve their time. They just can't own a firearm unless they get a pardon. Otherwise, what is the point of the correctional/rehabilitation system if someone can't do their time and get at least some rights back? I mean you get done serving your time and aren't even allowed a say in the form of voting? That would just be setting everyone up for failure.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

...so you're on board with reinstatement of 2nd amendment rights to felons who's crimes were unrelated to violence or weapons, I assume?

Yes . . . otherwise it is not a right. As long as they have finished serving the time that their peers / a judge has sentenced them to.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Half of Detroit’s 8 mayoral candidates are felons

To the surprise of no one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join