It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just had to share this due to it's idiocy and hilarity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
An anti-immigrant group mistook empty bus seats for women wearing burqas

Some group members took the picture — posted with the comment, “what do people think of this?" — as proof that a ban was needed. More than 100 soon commented on it. “It looks really scary, should be banned. You can never know who is under there. Could be terrorists with weapons,” one user wrote, according to a translation from the Local website. Others described it as “frightening” and “tragic.”

Well, those are not burqas. They're bus seats.

Johan Slattavik, the user who initially posted the photographs to Fedrelandet viktigst, told WorldViews in a Facebook message that he had been bored one night so he decided to play “a little practical joke.” Slattavik said he was curious to see how people would react. “I laid out the photo to see what happened,” he said, adding that he was shocked so many people fell for it. “I ended up having a good laugh,” Slattavik said.

This just proves how fear and stupidity are a bad mix. These bigots just can't see straight and only saw the thing they feared most.

It is not wrong to think of your country first but it is wrong to blame an entire group for the violent idiots who are out to destroy that country. It is OK to disagree with someone's religion but you first must educate yourself on what it actually is about instead of reading biased sites on the subject.

Yes radical Muslims exist but they do not speak for an entire group. I do not know enough about the religion of Islam to spread hate or tolerance about it and the same goes for all religions. I hear the western religions speak about love...etc and then hear people from these same religions spread hate and fear yet do not enough to condemn them.

Just thought I would share this post due to ridiculous nature of how much hate and fear can blind a person.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
When I read this yesterday I thought, surely this is satire...........

I was in tears. Wow.

-Alee

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: justagod

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Trolling bigots! Love it!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I wouldn't sit near them unless those burkies were off. But if I put a horse head on maybe I would sit beside one.

edit on 3-8-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Bus seats matter!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

At first glance bus seats happen to look like women wearing Burkas. Fancy that.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: justagod
An anti-immigrant group mistook empty bus seats for women wearing burqas

Some group members took the picture — posted with the comment, “what do people think of this?" — as proof that a ban was needed. More than 100 soon commented on it. “It looks really scary, should be banned. You can never know who is under there. Could be terrorists with weapons,” one user wrote, according to a translation from the Local website. Others described it as “frightening” and “tragic.”

Well, those are not burqas. They're bus seats.

Johan Slattavik, the user who initially posted the photographs to Fedrelandet viktigst, told WorldViews in a Facebook message that he had been bored one night so he decided to play “a little practical joke.” Slattavik said he was curious to see how people would react. “I laid out the photo to see what happened,” he said, adding that he was shocked so many people fell for it. “I ended up having a good laugh,” Slattavik said.

This just proves how fear and stupidity are a bad mix. These bigots just can't see straight and only saw the thing they feared most.

It is not wrong to think of your country first but it is wrong to blame an entire group for the violent idiots who are out to destroy that country. It is OK to disagree with someone's religion but you first must educate yourself on what it actually is about instead of reading biased sites on the subject.

Yes radical Muslims exist but they do not speak for an entire group. I do not know enough about the religion of Islam to spread hate or tolerance about it and the same goes for all religions. I hear the western religions speak about love...etc and then hear people from these same religions spread hate and fear yet do not enough to condemn them.

Just thought I would share this post due to ridiculous nature of how much hate and fear can blind a person.

I remember after 9/11 for a period of about 6 months, I was convinced every damn Muslim was a terrorist....I flew on Sept 10th 2001 and then January 2002, I remember a group of middle eastern people on my plain (going to Disney in Florida) I was just convinced they were going to blow the plane up. Not for one second did I think, they just may be going on Vacation or even home....Yeah, I was stereo typing them all.

I don't remember when I finally got over, my ignorance, but now when I fly, I look at them, as I do any other person.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

At first glance bus seats happen to look like women wearing Burkas. Fancy that.

Which goes to the point that a woman wearing a burka is just about identifiable as a bus seat.
Some states allow them to wear it for their drivers license photos.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Are there no pictures of the bus seats in question so we can see for ourselves what they thought they were seeing?

Oh, I see Tory just posted them ...

Someone should do a totally looks like poster if they really want to upset people.

edit on 3-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Image Source (and report on same story)

Yeah, no resemblance whatsoever.

Look, I get bigoted comments not having a place, but mistaking those bus seats for a group of women wearing burqas isn't exactly the biggest stretch anyone has ever made.

a reply to: ketsuko

A visual comparison good enough?
edit on 3-8-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2017 by SlapMonkey because: added photo credit

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It's not just them mistaking them for burkas. That is pretty awful by itself, but it's also the immediate jumps to intolerant rants like how they are hiding weapons or they are dangerous and stuff.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I have seen people claim they have bigfoot pictures that are much bigger stretches.

Lol

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Stupid people are everywhere, now they have a platform.

Mocking white people dining at Cracker Barrel solely for their skin color reflects a growing trend in America
www.bizpacreview.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Right, which is why I specifically said:

Look, I get bigoted comments not having a place, but mistaking those bus seats for a group of women wearing burqas isn't exactly the biggest stretch anyone has ever made.

You're not really saying anything that I didn't point out or imply, but this mistake in identification, like I noted, isn't exactly far-fetched.

People have mistaken me for a racist simply because I have white skin and I shave my head. They were wrong, and maybe it was an "awful" assumption, but it was a simple mistake that happens based on appearances. I'm not excusing it as being okay, just that it happens, and pretending that these people are idiots simply based on that initial misidentification--especially when the claimed goal (that I'm not buying) was to intentionally trick people into the misidentification--is pretty flimsy.

Sadly, though, this probably won't be a learning experience for many of the true bigots, and they will continue to misidentify based on ideological fears. I agree that this is an awful thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have a big foot...compared to my 3-year-old daughter. Wanna see a pic?

I'll even put it in a sock so that it looks like a seat cover, which will then make it a big foot in a burqa.

Whoa...too soon?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's not just them mistaking them for burkas. That is pretty awful by itself, but it's also the immediate jumps to intolerant rants like how they are hiding weapons or they are dangerous and stuff.

The teller at the bank will call the cops if I walk in wearing sunglasses- I'm all for tolerance, but let's spread it around a little, okay?

link   

Well that's the thing. The picture was intentionally framed to make them look as similar to women wearing burkas as possible. I'd be willing to bet that the photographer was sitting on the bus, noticed the similarity and decided to get a ton of laughs online by trolling the gullible bigots. If he had used a wide-angle shot then it would have been more obvious it was just a picture of empty seats.

Framing matters.

link   
What blows my mind is most lefties are against christian religion, don't want the ten commandments anywhere, don't want Christmas being called Christmas yet bend over backwards over the religion of islam.
Mind - Blown.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join