It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School District Preparing to Bring the Paddle Back

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

In this touch-feely world, Teachers will need to have a check-list for each child.

Jimmy Pudberry

1. Nut allergy - Yes

2. Paddling Allowed - No

3. Cries easily - Yes

4. Dangerous - Maybe

5. Sensitive to light - Yes

6. Large Font Text books - No

7. Afraid of Bugs - Some

on and on she grows.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I think the parents should be the ones disciplining their children and not the state, hopefully the parents will have some kind of choice in the matter, if not then that is wrong in my opinion.

The problem is a lot parents don't discipline them.
The back of my fathers hand and his belt were a pretty good deterrent from being stupid.

Here's an idea, if the kid is acting up, instead of paddling the kid, you bring the parents in for paddling. Maybe they'll get better at parenting after enough whoopins.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Grik123

I grew up in the era when children got their ass whooped in school and my father had the rule if I got a whoopin in school I would get one when I got home. I BEHAVED!

However in todays world? When I see so many teachers and adults wearing their political church on their sleeve and not being able to be objective? Nah, I think it is a bad idea. Only way I would agree with it as a parent is if the school called me up, explained what my child was getting a crack or two for and I was able to be there to witness the punishment. I don't trust Cultural Marxists to discipline my children.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Let me just say, as a Texan who had her ass paddled more than a few times...it's quite the deterrent for a lot of kids. Our paddle was wooden and had six holes in it. Most kids didn't go back for seconds.

I wasn't most kids, clearly, but that's a whole 'nother story.😁😁😁

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

I can see your point but I think another punishment could be used if the parents choose to forgo paddling. I personally would discipline my own child and many parents already do and may not want the school paddling their children. I don't think they should be forced to accept another person harming (paddling hurts) their child if they are not comfortable with it.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Maybe schools should focus on teaching science, technology, engineering and math instead of worrying about indoctrination and social experiments. If the child can't be taught or is disrupting others that are being taught, then they are exited from the school until they are capable.

This ultimately needs to fall back into the parents lap. Their child(ren) are their responsibility.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Dangerous precedent, especially given the times and state.

Parents will be able to decide, upon registering their children for the upcoming school year, whether they want to opt in or out. “If the parent is not comfortable with it, that’s the end of the discussion,” Three Rivers ISD Superintendent Mary Springs said.

This makes the whole idea not worth it. Why this was even thought of as a good idea, I will never know. Putting disciplinary actions over your child in someone else hands is a bad idea IMO. There should be consequences to bad behavior but I can't see this as being the answer. Good parenting is.

Believe it or not, still implemented here in south western PA. It was part of punishment in 1992 as still applies now. My butt behaved, butt a few of my dear friends pushed the boundaries and got to sign "The Paddle Board".

I never thought this was applicable ever.. however Archaic school systems still use the measure.

Ok I lied.. got cuaght smoking a Kool cigarette at lunch break...
Did I quit smoking.. no... i switched to regulars.
Did my father find out... I'd bet my @SS..

edit on 27-7-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that the time that this would be useful is long past or a long way off. Bias and agenda play too much of a role in schools to properly punish any student. Moreso if it's not practiced ethically at home. Some would say any sort of discipline is unethical.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I got paddled in middle school for fighting. Man , did it hurt. Got grounded when I got home.

But you know what, I never did it again.

Good on them, might put an end to this snowflake syndrome that seems to be currently infecting this country.

I had kids, and a good ass whooping set them straight.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: RazorV66

I can see your point but I think another punishment could be used if the parents choose to forgo paddling. I personally would discipline my own child and many parents already do and may not want the school paddling their children. I don't think they should be forced to accept another person harming (paddling hurts) their child if they are not comfortable with it.

theres a difference between harming someone and paddling them when paddling only causes superficial pain. now some people can go overboard and thats why this needs to be supervised on multiple levels imo. there is a place for this type of punishment i believe cause many kids are completely different when they are away from home due to the lack of any real consequences for their behavior these days.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think I'm going to swoon. . . .

Because the idea of beating kids with a board makes you faint with delight?
I wonder if "child correction" videos featuring beatings and paddles are available on YouTube?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Right on.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that the time that this would be useful is long past or a long way off. Bias and agenda play too much of a role in schools to properly punish any student. Moreso if it's not practiced ethically at home. Some would say any sort of discipline is unethical.

so what are u saying? that we should just give up because were to far gone to have any hope of righting the ship so we should just let it sink? the pendulum swings back and forth through history and im starting to feel like were moving back in the other direction these days which im quite happy about as this PC slippery slope is out of hand.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Aren't you the sicko!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Edit: i dont have kids. My opinion is not relevant.

edit on 27-7-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

What I am saying is based upon the current social climate, regardless on how you feel about the direction, is that corporal punishment by schools is a bad thing. There are much better forms of punishment with most of it being the burden of the parent.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

If schools were any reflection of what the real world holds, those who could not behave and learn would not be in the school until they could demonstrate that they should be. I don't like the idea of a place children must go to receive social engineering especially forced and by corporal means. It's my liberal side showing through.

I'm a parent and I will teach my children how to behave and discipline as necessary. Disruptive and bullies should be immediately sent home. As usual, just my opinions.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Dangerous precedent, especially given the times and state.

Parents will be able to decide, upon registering their children for the upcoming school year, whether they want to opt in or out. “If the parent is not comfortable with it, that’s the end of the discussion,” Three Rivers ISD Superintendent Mary Springs said.

This makes the whole idea not worth it. Why this was even thought of as a good idea, I will never know. Putting disciplinary actions over your child in someone else hands is a bad idea IMO. There should be consequences to bad behavior but I can't see this as being the answer. Good parenting is.

So many parents not capable of good parenting though. Of course, they're the ones most likely to opt their kids out of corporal punishment too.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Sounds like you need a good paddling yourself.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I would agree with you on sending the problem kids home, but the law says they can't. So those of us who are taking care of business at home and sending in kids who can be managed end up with kids stuck in environments where they can't learn because of the children who don't have the first clue how to behave and those kids cannot be shown the door.

It's why so many parents overstretch for private schooling or homeschool.

The public schools are slowly becoming asylums to warehouse delinquents and ruin the hapless ones whose parents can't get them out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join