It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is creepy.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The white appears to be connective tissue. Same as under the wings probably at the joints too. Ever seen similar or crab and lobster legs. No freaky stuff going on.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I got bit by a harvester spider, the round daddy longlegs, when I was a kid. They are not supposed to be able to bite, but when I ripped out its third leg it swung around and bit me. It felt like it took a chunk out of my bone when it bit and my finger tip grew double it's size. When I told my father the story he said....what the hell were you ripping the legs off that spider for. I never did it again. So much for those harvester spiders being harmless. So much for me being harmless back then too. After that I was paranoid when I saw people ripping the peddles off of daisies saying he loves me, he loves me not.
edit on 24-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Daddy Long legs and Dragon flies don't bite. You are a scary grandpa

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
That is way to creepy! Good shot.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

You better be glad daddy longlegs can't bite. They're very poisonous.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Yeah they actually do bite and have one of the most potent venoms on Earth. Thank goodness those tiny mouths can't bite anything near our size.

Edit. I just had to Google it. The real daddy long legs cannot bite, and do not have fangs.

From Livescience:
Opilionids true daddy longlegs live in moist, dark places and eat mostly decomposing vegetable and animal matter. "They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food," the UC entomologists write on their website. "Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy longlegs, the tale is clearly false."
edit on 24-6-2017 by Illumimasontruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

They can bite other bugs but not us. Our skin is too thick. The daddy longlegs may ne the most poison spider. It can kill a Black widow. step on black widows but leave the daddy spiders alone or take them outside. Mom says they are nice spiders but belong outside, because they make a mess with the web, and we have to clean it

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

They can "bite" . Just their fangs are too small to penetrate human skin
The myth about the daddy long-legs being poisonous is just that . Urban legend . Look it up

The same for the OP Dragonfly as far as bite goes. Too small (in most cases) to do any damage.

edit on 6/24/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

I can guarantee you, if you start ripping the legs off a harvestor spider they can bite. And the dragon fly can take a chunk out of you. I was bit by both. I do not lie about things like that.

I once had a big and small horse fly sitting on my hand, I was watching the big one signaling the small one. They were talking, the big one was teaching the small one. The big horsefly swung his head to the left and then put it down onto my hand and dragged it quickly across my skin and blood came gushing out and both started to feast on my blood. I couldn't believe my eyes, I brushed them off and I saw a long cut. I was so shocked and looked it up. They have a sliding mandible, a sort of knife on their mouth and actually cut the skin and this contains an anticoagulant that keeps it bleeding for a while.

Dragon flies can bite, you can find articles about that on the net. Harvester spiders are not supposed to because their mouth will not allow it, but I must have ripped it open bigger when I tore off it's legs. Then they could bite and their poison is poison too. Look that up. It could have been either a daddy longlegs or a harvester, I do not know for sure, they are similar except for the shape of their body. I have been bit by various spiders multiple times in my life yet I am not afraid of spiders, usually they do not bite unless you piss them off. I just try not to piss them off.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I played with them both and they never bit me. We had a dragonfly come visit every year. He was orange. He would come and sit next to us in the garden. We didn't touch him. He would follow us around the garden, then leave, but come back every day. His eyes looked like a raimbow

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I can guarantee you, if you start ripping the legs off a harvestor spider they can bite. And the dragon fly can take a chunk out of you. I was bit by both. I do not lie about things like that.

I once had a big and small horse fly sitting on my hand, I was watching the big one signaling the small one. They were talking, the big one was teaching the small one. The big horsefly swung his head to the left and then put it down onto my hand and dragged it quickly across my skin and blood came gushing out and both started to feast on my blood. I couldn't believe my eyes, I brushed them off and I saw a long cut. I was so shocked and looked it up. They have a sliding mandible, a sort of knife on their mouth and actually cut the skin and this contains an anticoagulant that keeps it bleeding for a while.

Dragon flies can bite, you can find articles about that on the net. Harvester spiders are not supposed to because their mouth will not allow it, but I must have ripped it open bigger when I tore off it's legs. Then they could bite and their poison is poison too. Look that up. It could have been either a daddy longlegs or a harvester, I do not know for sure, they are similar except for the shape of their body. I have been bit by various spiders multiple times in my life yet I am not afraid of spiders, usually they do not bite unless you piss them off. I just try not to piss them off.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but you shouldn't hurt a little spider like that. That's probably why they don't bite me

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I played with them both and they never bit me. We had a dragonfly come visit every year. He was orange. He would come and sit next to us in the garden. We didn't touch him. He would follow us around the garden, then leave, but come back every day. His eyes looked like a raimbow

Of all the times I have played with dragonflies in the past, that is the only time I ever got bit by one. I am not afraid of them even after being bit, but I am a little more skeptical of their innocence because I know they can bite us.

I had a hummingbird land on my shoulder one day and it was so cute. Then it started looking at my ear as if it was a flower and it's beak started to go towards it. I quickly moved, I seemed to know what he was thinking, he then flew away.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Wow that's scary!

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but you shouldn't hurt a little spider like that. That's probably why they don't bite me

I was around nine or ten when that happened, I have never pulled the legs off of one after that. I learned from my mistake. Spiders are one of the best creatures on this planet, they help keep the bugs that bite us down. Most spiders do not want to harm us unless we threaten them. But once in a while they get ornary, maybe problems with the old man or old lady.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Grandpa says they just bite if you start to squish them, like it they get under your arm

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

As a final warning, before they bite, they lift up their front legs.

Oh, but you wouldn't have seen that.
That's why we don't pull off their legs

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Grandpa says they just bite if you start to squish them, like it they get under your arm

It is like spiders can read our minds, if you intend on killing them, they go into a stance and will ready to attack. If you fear them the same thing happens, we must give off some sort of chemical signal or something they can detect. I used to work in attics and crawlspaces all the time years back. I worked around spiders for many years. Getting bit a half a dozen times that I know of over the years was not that bad. Those brown recluses at the neighbors were not good though, I wound up needing a strong antibiotic for my leg, the neighbor got bit around the same time, it ate a chunk of his leg out before he got an antibiotic that worked. Mine healed after going to the doctor and getting those hundred dollar for five antibiotic pills, he didn't get the super antibiotic right away, he had a different doctor. He wound up with a lot of flesh gone under his skin.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

He's smiling at ya.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I think thats awesome cool and funny
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I have a thing for jumping spiders,i just adore them.I always have some on my bedside table,they like the light from the lamp.Also by my pc table.Cutest little faces you can imagine,and the lil brush cut hairstyles
Some people say there bites leave sores and ensuing scarring,but i have not been bit so i wouldn't know.In my house there are always Daddy Longlegses,i find it hard to think of them as actual spiders for some reason.Just a cute wobbly collection of legs

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join