It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Proposes a 5 Year Wait Before Immigrants Can Qualify For Public Assistance.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: carewemust

I never thought I would see the day! I certainly hope this passes, and with the GOP majority it should.

The proposed bill will become law, so long as not too many professional "agitators" know about it. Otherwise it could be in trouble, because Republican leaders are frightened into paralysis way too easily.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I never thought I would see the day! I certainly hope this passes, and with the GOP majority it should.

Wish they'd do the same in the UK.

We work.
We pay tax.
We create a health service and "safety net".
We get sick.
We get shafted.
We end up homeless.
We die in record numbers from failed govt policy.

They arrive.
They're housed.
They're fed.
They're healed.
They're educated.
They attack us.

Something went wrong with our system.
Something is wrong with our politicians..
Something needs to be changed.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This is pretty normal policy in most countries

Normal

But if the USA wants to be the same as most other countries, it's "RACIST!!!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

And the UK Parliament is denying U.S. President Trump the opportunity to address them this Fall, because he's "too tough" on immigrants and terrorism?

edit on 6/22/2017 by carewemust because: wording correction

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
Much better idea than the wall (which imo is dumb and unnecessarily antagonistic). Its sensible. Its what most countries do.

@the Jesus comment: Jesus didnt tell the government to take care of people, he said you do it. So...are you volunteering to house them? When you do, then you can be condescending to everyone else and ill take you seriously.

I've housed and feed homeless people in my spare bedroom many times can I be condescending?
If your not willing to feed starving people no mater who they are than you have no business claiming to follow jesus.
edit on 22-6-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

i am an anarchist atheist and I feed people because it makes me feel good when I see hungry humans eating.
edit on 22-6-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

My opinion?
A small but loud bunch of UK politicians jumped on the bandwagon of anti-Trumpism as a cheap shot at virtue signalling.
I can't name them all off the top of my head but Sadique Khan the London mayor is one and everyone knows what we think of him.

Theresa May has already met with Trump although she went to the States for a visit and, I might have misunderstood the news but the Queen has made it known shes no objection to having him visit.

I'm not clear on the process but the objection from parliament only means that he wouldn't be getting the red carpet treatment associated with an official "state visit".
Otherwise there's not much they can do to stop him.
If they tried to stop him I'd guess the negative publicity would backfire and make them look stupid.

They don't need much help there.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

So, Jesus would probably be glad a program like SNAP exists, sans wine...you can't buy wine on SNAP.

Yes you can.

Vendors aren't supposed to take food stamps or other states benefits in exchange for alcohol, but many still do.

It's a gamble on whether or not someone is watching the books closely, or whether your state might decide to audit its benefits programs.

The point is, vendors have the capability of accepting food stamps for alcohol.

But I'll also leave you with this to think about:

Maine Gov. Paul LePage’s recent welfare reforms have led to more employment, higher wages, and less dependency, according to a preliminary report published by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services and the Maine Office of Policy and Management.

In October 2014, Maine began requiring about 16,000 able-bodied childless adults to work, train, or volunteer on at least a part-time basis in order to continue receiving food stamps. Adults who refused to comply with the new requirements would cycle off after three months of benefits.

Reform Led To Less Dependency

After implementing these reforms, Maine quickly moved thousands of able-bodied adults out of dependency and into self-sufficiency. By January 2015, the number of able-bodied adults on food stamps had dropped to 4,500 and has continued to decline.

New Report Proves Maine's Welfare Reforms Are Working

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
My proposal is better. Zero benifits for illegal leaches.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Oathkeeper73

My proposal is better. Zero benifits for illegal leaches.

You read the headline wrong.

The 5 year wait is for legal immigrants. The illegals get nada.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Palm to forehead.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Suprised you dont already have this?

UK had this years ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This is straight out of Nigel Farage's playbook.
He pushed for the same during the UKIP and Brexit campaigns.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

There is a difference between helping the truly needy and encouraging leeches and laziness. Since you are mentioning Jesus... you will also find this in the Bible:

Proverbs 20:4
The sluggard does not plow in the autumn; he will seek at harvest and have nothing.

Proverbs 19:15
Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger.

2 Thessalonians
For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Proverbs 10:4
A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

Proverbs 18:9
Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys.

Proverbs 21:25
The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.

2 Thessalonians 3:11-12
For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

Proverbs 10:5
He who gathers in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who brings shame.

I could go on and on with such quotes. And of course you will also find many quotes about caring for the poor. But there is a difference.

Of course Jesus says to help the truly needy. Churches and organizations can certainly help those in need too. I can see a need for the government to discourage those who come to our country just so that they can get free stuff. A government should offer some kind of assistance to "citizens" who are unable to work, or who have short term catastrophes. But making a career out of living off of the government just so that you don't have to work is not right. Neither is moving to a country for the free benefits.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

The sermon on the mount of Olives went on for 3 days so he had no choice but to feed them.
Apparently the olives were not ripe at the time enough to eat.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

There are a ton of Iraqi immigrants here where the whole extended family are getting benefits and they know how to work the system. I've seen families where all 5 members get assistance at the same address.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Something that's causing problems in the UK is the massive unfairness of austerity measures which are devastating the lives of the disabled, sick and those who are out of work through no fault of their own.
You can get your benefits taken off you at the drop of a hat.
Two minutes late for an interview?
Counts as a no-show and you are sanctioned.
Fill a form in slightly wrong?
Goes in the bin and you are sanctioned.
Not considered disabled enough, or in enough pain?
Sanctioned.
These disgusting inhuman actions are resulting in untold hardships.
People are ending up homeless and there have been hundreds of deaths through neglect, starvation and suicide. The government denies its their fault and does all it can to hide the figures.

On the other hand, thousands is spent on translators for new arrivals who cannot speak our language.
They get special advisors who assist them and ensure that they claim every last penny that they can.

The ones who can work get to pick and choose which jobs they get because they can't work around women, cigarettes, alcohol or can't work on certain days or at certain times based on "religious requirements".
We get no such luxury and get our benefits stopped at the slightest hint that we may not want those same jobs. Nothing but preferential treatment.

It is grossly unfair to the people who are born here and, often, have worked for many many years and have paid into the system until such a time as they are no longer able to work.
We are supposed to be a first world country with a decent economy yet people are treated as numbers who are a burden not as members of our society.
It also breeds massive contempt towards the newcomers, which helps no-one and will be a contributory factor to the perceived dislike of foreigners.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Back in the 60 or 70's a friend of mine came over from Jamaica.

They made him sign a form stating that he could never collect welfare in this country.

And I agree that if you come to this country you should be working and not collecting welfare.

A 5 year wait is not unreasonable. Probably the first time I agree with anything Trump has come up with.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Have a baby in the United States (for free) as an illegal...you can get TANF, SNAP...not to mention a host of other things.

Technically the child receives the benefits, mom (and/or dad) are the Representative Payee

mg
edit on 22-6-2017 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

Have a baby as an illegal...you can get TANF, SNAP...not to mention a host of other things.

mg

YOU don't get anything.

The BABY gets those things.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

originally posted by: missed_gear

Have a baby as an illegal...you can get TANF, SNAP...not to mention a host of other things.

mg

YOU don't get anything.

The BABY gets those things.

You just made my point.

mg
edit on 22-6-2017 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join