It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are we going with this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Lol. That guy is awesome.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: angeldoll

I wanted to talk about hatred, and how we are becoming almost disabled from it. Not indulge in it in this thread please. We need to talk. We need to see where all this is leading us, and if it's to a place we want to be once we get there. And after today, I'm afraid we are well on our way. If there is a way to deal with it, we need to find it.

Well the media is playing to the hatred on both sides. We should be able to agree on that. With that said, the rest depends on the individual. How well can the individual control themselves in the public. Online is one thing. Even though it is public people often act like it isn't.

More people are on social media today, than at any other point in history, because it is new. Since it is new, and it can be studied, it would be easy to reason that more and more people are becoming detached from civility in society because we witness society online more so than in real life.

I don't know. What is your take on it?

I know you're not asking me but I'd have to agree with most of that. Social media is a double-edged sword. It allows people an alternative place to get their information so they can cut through the media's BS, but it can also become a place where you lock yourself in your echo chamber. This is why I follow some people I don't really agree with on Twitter, so I at least see another perspective from time to time.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Lol. That guy is awesome.

Isn't he though? I mean, they asked how he feels about gay marriage, and he indicates not only is he ok with that but if you wanna marry an inanimate object, if that makes you happy, he'll do the ceremony. What a great guy.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
This madness has to stop Now! If we let this spiral out of control, we will all be at each other's throats. Most of us are more similiar than what those extreme left or right led us to believe. I consider myself a centrist and I beileve most of you here are too. We may lean left or right on certain issues but at the core we mostly want similiar things (Freedom, Happiness, and Peace). Atleast I hope so. TPTB want us to believe we are so different that we are enemies, but lets not be fooled.

Dear joemoe. It has already spiraled out of control. We are already at each other's throats.
But it's not too late to turn it around. We are being coaxed into it by the pied piper. Only the tune is not at all pretty. It's very ugly, but still, away we go.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I wanted to talk about hatred, and how we are becoming almost disabled from it. Not indulge in it in this thread please. We need to talk. We need to see where all this is leading us, and if it's to a place we want to be once we get there. And after today, I'm afraid we are well on our way. If there is a way to deal with it, we need to find it.

Well the media is playing to the hatred on both sides. We should be able to agree on that. With that said, the rest depends on the individual. How well can the individual control themselves in the public. Online is one thing. Even though it is public people often act like it isn't.

More people are on social media today, than at any other point in history, because it is new. Since it is new, and it can be studied, it would be easy to reason that more and more people are becoming detached from civility in society because we witness society online more so than in real life.

I don't know. What is your take on it?

I think you are exactly right. A poet I know once wrote "Remember the heart when you speak to the face".
Hard to do when we don't see faces anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I know you're not asking me but I'd have to agree with most of that. Social media is a double-edged sword. It allows people an alternative place to get their information so they can cut through the media's BS, but it can also become a place where you lock yourself in your echo chamber. This is why I follow some people I don't really agree with on Twitter, so I at least see another perspective from time to time.

Yeah. You have to actually listen to someone, in order to understand them. I think that is another factor. These are confusing times. But there are groups out there that like what is happening. I am sure that there are many countries that would love to see the U.S. fall, and I am sure I don't need to tell you what President Lincoln said about how the U.S. could fall.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Isn't he though? I mean, they asked how he feels about gay marriage, and he indicates not only is he ok with that but if you wanna marry an inanimate object, if that makes you happy, he'll do the ceremony. What a great guy.

He reminds me of Fred Sanford. Seems like a good guy.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

You can do it! I have faith in you

I promise you wont regret it.

I have to force myself away every so often when I notice my serenity being effected, and I never regret it.

Peace angeldoll

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I think you are exactly right. A poet I know once wrote "Remember the heart when you speak to the face". Hard to do when we don't see faces anymore.

Yes it is. Beautiful words to describe that. Beautiful words may be what is needed now?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Will anyone take a vow with me?

When I see a thread that clearly is click-bait to express only hatred for a political group in it's entirety, like the one's we saw today, I will not flag it, star it, or post on it. I will let the thread die, if at all possible, or post on it only to give it a thumb's down.

When a politician or person does/says something that is in absolute disagreement to what I believe, I will address that individual, and that particular action, without attacking the entire political affiliates of that party.

None of us are scum or retarded. We have different views that we can discuss and debate until the cows come home.
We don't have to hate each other, and every single person in the adversarial party. We won't wish death and other horrible consequences on the opposing party members. (I've seen this)

I might express my disdain and disgust with an action or belief, but not for an entire group of millions of people of whom I have no knowledge.

I will not participate in threads in which hatred is clearly the motivation for the thread.

(Did I go too far? But you know what I mean, I hope.)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
There are many, many types of personalities. Something that's inherit in our own human nature, combined with the delivery method of our information creates an air of entitlement and righteousness.

Nobody is ever wrong. Nobody is ever right. Nobody can ever lose. Nobody can ever win.

You hit it right on the head with "we did this ourselves". Damn right we did. We will all be victims of our own creation.

The world feels sad... the best thing that anybody can do is unplug from modern media. I don't just mean the news... I mean if it's got a screen... TURN IT OFF.

TV sitcoms, stand up comedy, advertising.... it's ALL TOXIC.

Turn off the screens and read a book.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You deserve a good ass KISSING for this thread! GG.

edit on 14-6-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

You deserve a good ass KISSING for this thread! GG.

You made my day. I could use a good smoochie 'bout now.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I've promised myself. I still have to read newspapers though. I will surely go into withdrawals. I'll have to taper off.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

That is a great sentiment.

Will anyone take a vow with me?

(Did I go too far? But you know what I mean, I hope.)

You may have, although i like the direction you are taking. I will consider it.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Angeldoll.

Well said. I've been thinking about this topic all day. And I've come to the following conclusion: WE ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF OURSELVES. Even those of us who think, "well, not me 'cause I've done nothing wrong!" ALL of us. Somehow, we lost our way. Heated and passionate discussion is one thing, calling people who don't hold the same view as you Morons (as I read on a thread earlier this evening) is disrespectful. If those two members were sitting down at a table talking about it, I doubt very much the one member would call the other "Moron" to his/her face. The anonymity of the internet brings out the raw ugliness in people. We all have to take a breath before we post something, and think to ourselves if that post is something we'd tell to our neighbor, our family, our friends.

The Mud Pit - must be gotten rid of. Skeptic, Springer - it was an experiment that should be shelved. The venom and rhetoric of the posts and replies went too far, AND bled over into every other post made in other sections. The argument that we can't change the media or political vileness so why try is a cop out. ATS is OUR house, and change starts small. We clean up our act, and maybe we can provide an example of how a civil disagreement can be effective. Maybe that will bleed over into other aspects of our world.

Angelina
You and I joined ATS the same year, and I'm sure that we've had our differences over the past 8 years. Especially over the last year. If I have said anything ugly to you, that made you feel like you had been tromped on - I am very sorry! Please accept my apology, and hopefully next time we disagree we can discuss our differences calmly and civilly. And I will take that vow with you!

My name is Laura, but my friends call me Lollie.

Peace
edit on 6/14/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Angeldoll

I find myself expressing a lot of hate but the only violence I would perpetrate would be in defense of myself or others. Unfortunately the delusional exist who will not only make it violent but take it to the extreme. I am not a good or a bad person but I'd like to die trying to be the best one possible. People have a lot of reason to be angry. It's arguable that people have a lot of reason to be violent to. We live in the best countries in the world and yet we all know something isn't right. We aren't focused enough to challenge what really hurts us. So for a lot of us, especially here; passive aggression seeps through. All the infighting in the communities around us is just misplaced frustration or ignorance. Distraction only works for so long.

I really hope things aren't past the point of no return. Are they? I really think they might be.

Our information is corrupted and even our political institutions. How can we base a correct political system around one that has been this severly corrupted?
edit on 14-6-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Rural environments and inner city ones don't have that quite like suburban environments with the white picket fences do.

I live in a rural area. Though we don't live as close together, we know everyone that lives in our area. Neighbors notice when normal patterns change, and they are the first to call or to come visit, to make sure everything is okay. We share our harvests. It is common to come home and find a bag or basket of fruit, produce, or eggs on the porch.

I got a call earlier today from one of my neighbors, about 6 pot bellied pigs showed up in his yard. He was trying to track down the owners, unfortunately they didn't belong to anyone in our neighborhood, which means they traveled a good distance, or someone dropped them. We get that a lot out here because it so remote. When people no longer can afford to care for their animals, or are evicted or foreclosed on, they just drop their animals out here in the woods. Someone will take them in until their owners can be found, or they will be turned over to the animal shelter. Rounding up and returning live stock that has wandered onto your property, is another thing that neighbors do. My land seems to be their favorite, but they make the rounds.

Rural neighbors mind their business but are quick to come to your aide when needed, even if they don't like you.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Reading the responses in this thread has made me more hopeful that we haven't all lost our minds, and that we can turn our country around before it's too late. What are "the good ole days?" The good ole days are when we didn't hate each other and wish each other dead because of our political beliefs.

Thank you all. I don't feel so alone now.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have no idea where our world is headed, but people are really alright in my book. I see beautiful sentiments like OP and many of the responses on this thread everywhere I look (not all the time but quite often, often enough that I love people!)

Thanks angeldoll
Yes there is evil but there is also a light in humanity that is captivating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join