It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN hosts makes 'racist' comment to 12-year-old Spelling Bee Champion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Ut Oh. Saying a little girl can't spell a word because of it's root not in Sanskrit (language), which you are not used to using. This is a racist comment. What a strange world.

A CNN host is accused of making what some are saying is a "racist" remark to 12-year-old Scripps Spelling Bee Champion Ananya Vinay who the host said likely misspelled a word on air because "its root is not in Sanskrit, which is what you're probably used to using."

The next morning, Mr Trump cryptically tweeted "Who can figure out the true meaning of 'covfefe'??? Enjoy!"

Ms Camerota corrected Ananya's spelling of the word and then said "so, I don't know. Anyway" after her Sanskrit comment.
www.independent.co.uk...
Don't forget the class action suit against CNN for paying and rating their African-A employees unequally compared other employees.

The Atlanta-based news network has a pending class action lawsuit that alleges the network gives African-American employees lower performance ratings and pay inequality compared with other employees.

Just the smallest mistake can get you nailed now. I hope the Clintons are happy with the ultra PC world that CNN has helped create.
edit on 4-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Ut Oh. Saying a little girl can't spell a word because of it's root not in Sanskrit (language), which you are not used to using. This is a racist comment. What a strange world.

A CNN host is accused of making what some are saying is a "racist" remark to 12-year-old Scripps Spelling Bee Champion Ananya Vinay who the host said likely misspelled a word on air because "its root is not in Sanskrit, which is what you're probably used to using."

The next morning, Mr Trump cryptically tweeted "Who can figure out the true meaning of 'covfefe'??? Enjoy!"

Ms Camerota corrected Ananya's spelling of the word and then said "so, I don't know. Anyway" after her Sanskrit comment.
www.independent.co.uk... .html

Don't forget the class action suit against CNN for paying and rating their African-A employees unequally compared other employees.

The Atlanta-based news network has a pending class action lawsuit that alleges the network gives African-American employees lower performance ratings and pay inequality compared with other employees.

Just the smallest mistake can get you nailed now. I hope the Clintons are happy with the ultra PC world that CNN has helped create.
To me it sounds like they were trying to be charitable.

For example, in ye olde days many euro-centric folks would judge those who didn't conform with European norms. So, this host may be trying to do the opposite, i.e. acknowledge that instead of the mistake being due to an intelligence or education deficit, it may be socio-cultural.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The gloves are off and anything anyone says is subject to harsh judging.

CNN is getting a taste of their own medicine. Is it silly yep. Is it entertaining yep.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
SJW's are turning on their own.

The left never saw this coming as they're fascists who can't comprehend anything beyond their own viewpoints. Little do they know their own garbage will ultimately offend others and cause problems.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Saying a little girl can't spell a word because of it's root not in Sanskrit (language), which you are not used to using. This is a racist comment.

What was the word that the young lady misspelled?

edit on 4-6-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

'covfefe'

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

The modern liberal is a fascist, that is true.

This is truly poetic justice.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Social Justice is like a tank of piranhas, if you don't give them something to chew on they start eating each other. It's only a matter of time.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
OOOOOooh I'm offended your offended !

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Am I reading this right? She was asked to spell covfefe ... a typo by all accounts. Then tried to explain why she misspelled it and got called racist for the explanation? So they tried to make fun of Trump and instead got called racist by the time it was all done? Wow, the world has gone crazy.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Exactly! COVFEFE! You can't make this stuff up!

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This really puts the Ass in assumptions.

People assuming things has got to stop.

There is actually a very small cognitive leap between "you probably cant spell it because its root is not in your native tongue" and saying things like "youre probably a racist because you support trump".

This trend of political assumptions is #ing disease.
edit on 5-6-2017 by 0racle because: cnn is worse than isis

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Now trump is inventing new words to cause even more division and unrest. This is clearly his plan.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
No you mean social justice warrior ideologues. Not the same as all liberals nor especially actual leftists. There is a difference.
edit on 5-6-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Social Justice is like a tank of piranhas, if you don't give them something to chew on they start eating each other. It's only a matter of time.
Lol true, I like the phrase the social justice warriors are "cannibalizing each other." It's so true.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

From Urban Dictionary:

Covfefe is the once secret name of an ancient tentacle monster that white supremacists fornicate with

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
No you mean social justice warrior ideologues. Not the same as all liberals nor especially actual leftists. There is a difference.

The scary thing is that most people under say 40 think this is what being liberal is all about.
The SJW's are fascists and trying to turn their beliefs into modern "liberalism".

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If it's racist to ask someone where they are from, then it's racist to assume they can't spell something because it's not in their native language.

The racism is in making the assumption they even speak that language.

Juan Gonzalez may have deep family roots in Hispanic culture, but he may be a second generation or even third generation Latino who speaks English as his primary language and doesn't really know any Spanish to speak of. So to make the assumption that Juan Gonzalez should interpret for the group because of his looks and name is racist.

What the CNN lady did is working off the same principle of SJW land. It seems a shame that someone who thinks this stuff is absolutely the height of stupidity understands what's going on here.
edit on 5-6-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Not to deviate from the OP too much... but did they seriously ask how to spell someones typo in a SPELLING BEE?

I hope they all burn.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Not to deviate from the OP too much... but did they seriously ask how to spell someones typo in a SPELLING BEE?

I hope they all burn.

No. The Spelling Bee winner was interviewed on CNN, when the host, trying to make a joke, asked her if she could spell spell "COVFEFE". When she spelling it wrong, because it isn't even a real word, the CNN host awkwardly joked about COVFEFE not being a word based in "Sanskrit".

The fact is, the girl is a linguist scholar who probably not only relies, on only Sanskrit but Latin and several other "root" languages.

edit on 5-6-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join