It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a single Partridge egg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hey guys,
This isn't a pet thread, but more of a wildlife topic.
While walking in the back of the house to my parts jeep, I came across a single partridge egg on the ground.
It was sitting out in the open on a path way, right in front of my other jeep, that I frequent back and forth to.

When I noticed it, I immediate left the area for a good 2 hours to see if a momma had thought my parts jeep was a good nesting area.
I figured nature knows best and decided to leave it alone for the day and work on something else.
Well about 12 hours later I quietly creeped to the area within binocular distance and there it was, still laying on the path.

Partridge here are pretty nonchalant creatures.
You can usually walk within 2-3 feet of them before they take off, darn near trip over them.
So I doubt it heard me from the distance I was.

When I spotted the egg still laying there, I said well I'll check in the morning I guess.
Same thing this morning. Egg is still sitting there, no momma.

Why would she only lay one egg and split?
If there was a chick in there, is it dead now?
Am I wasting my time if I pick up the parts to make a small incubator for it?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject,
I figured the good folks of ATS may have some members that have dealt with partridge or quail before, that could offer up some good advise.

Thanks!

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The location of the egg doesn't sound like it is in a nesting location. Usually they will be in a protected area so they can see around and still have seclusion. I don't think the egg is good. Maybe you can incubate it and have a little baby bird hanging around for a while, just tell the DNR you thought it was a chicken egg if they complain. They can be friendly birds in the yard, we had one that used to come onto our deck to eat bird seed.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I don't know Mac, if it will make it.
Are you sure it's a partridge egg?
Some birds only lay one egg a day. Did you notice the remnants of a nest nearby? Perhaps if you locate one, you could place the egg back in it?
Different birds require different parameters for incubation so you would need to be sure.
Is it illegal to hatch wild birds? Rebels we are!

Interested in what you decide and if you do decide to incubate it...if you're successful...
*dropped by a predator?
edit on 22-5-2017 by TNMockingbird because: *

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Crack it into a pan and make a sarnie out of it.

If you don't post here tomorrow we know that the egg was a definate no no when it comes to "nom nom" and that you have the "put the bog roll in the freezer" syndrome...

Bon appétit

Warmest

Lags

edit on 22-5-2017 by Lagomorphe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Some birds only lay one egg a day. Did you notice the remnants of a nest nearby? Perhaps if you locate one, you could place the egg back in it?
Different birds require different parameters for incubation so you would need to be sure.

Interested in what you decide and if you do decide to incubate it...if you're successful...
*dropped by a predator?

But it is not a wild bird, that chick never goes to Rock concerts or parties till four in the morning.
edit on 22-5-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

*dropped by a predator?

But it is not a wild bird, that chick never goes to Rock concerts or parties till four in the morning.

Oh, so a tame bird then?
I don't know a thing about those!
So, carry on LOL

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I agree with rickymouse I don't think the egg is good but you could try. Typically eggs need mom/dad to turn them/keep them warm. Being left on the open ground over night without a parent's warmth isn't good.

It's possible it was left by an inexperienced young bird, she'll get the hang of it. Don't fret too much if it doesn't make it, nature takes care of things just fine.

If every bird hatched/survived, we'd be overrun. If they outnumber their food supply, disease/starvation can take hold and many more would die. Far more cruel/devastating to the population than the normal amount of eggs that typically go unhatched.

Besides if she left her egg laying around unattended/unprotected most likely she's not good mom material, yet. Birds here will attack/squawk/carry on if you get anywhere near their nest. The fact you weren't assaulted makes me think it was abandoned.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory
I agree with rickymouse I don't think the egg is good but you could try. Typically eggs need mom/dad to turn them/keep them warm. Being left on the open ground over night without a parent's warmth isn't good.

It's possible it was left by an inexperienced young bird, she'll get the hang of it. Don't fret too much if it doesn't make it, nature takes care of things just fine.

If every bird hatched/survived, we'd be overrun. If they outnumber their food supply, disease/starvation can take hold and many more would die. Far more cruel/devastating to the population than the normal amount of eggs that typically go unhatched.

Besides if she left her egg laying around unattended/unprotected most likely she's not good mom material, yet. Birds here will attack/squawk/carry on if you get anywhere near their nest. The fact you weren't assaulted makes me think it was abandoned.

If the temperature is warm out, it may still be good. Here it would be bad, it is around forty at night yet in this area. If the egg is down south where the temperature is in the seventies, it may be alright.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats what I was thinking.
Where I found it does not seem to be the best nesting location.
But who knows maybe the bird thought it was perfect.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Well I brought it in the house, and have it in an egg carton at the moment.

As for being a partridge egg, I should have clarified that it's just speculation on my part.

I looked it up yesterday, and a partridge egg was the closest I could identify the eggs colour and markings to. As well, we have a lot of them in my area.
I could be wrong though of course. Perhaps someone here may be able to positively identify it.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Same thing here, being left out alone overnight would be bad. I'm in an arid region, at altitude, we're having "spring" snow showers.

I feel sorry for the hummingbirds they always get caught up in the late season snow. Critters are tough, that little egg might stand a chance but I'd leave it.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My kids are fascinated by it. they are looking up on how to take care of it.
And found an easy incubator made from a styrofoam cooler.

This Gave me a chance to discuss nature with them.

I told them not to get their hopes up however,
but did say each egg is a chance at life, and that we should at least try.

So we will give it Our best, and will keep you all updated.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Gosh well, it's a good opportunity for you with your children then

Here's a link that may or may not be of help.
sialis.org...
Good luck and please post an update when/if it hatches, neat project for you and the kiddos!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, not 100%, but I would assume it would be like a chicken egg. It may have never been viable. Have you tried candling it?

Go in a pitch dark room, with a flashlight. Hold it up to the egg and see if you can see a dark spot inside, or even little "veins" of darkness.

I'm with the others, if I had to guess, I would go with not going to hatch. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join