It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Culture War: Get Out Of The Way White Cis Man- American Mathematical Society Article

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
More Examples of the new culture war in the Mathematics class room. Leftest political insanity has a goal of indoctrinating children into becoming overt racists or self-haters. These are a couple of examples from the articles from the American Mathematical Society. One, if you are a "white Cis Male" you need to go away and a good article on their perceptions of mathematics oppression.

blogs.ams.org...

Not to alarm you, but I probably want you to quit your job, or at least take a demotion. Statistically speaking, you are probably taking up room that should go to someone else. If you are a white cis man (meaning you identify as male and you were assigned male at birth) you almost certainly should resign from your position of power. That’s right, please quit. Too difficult? Well, as a first step, at least get off your hiring committee, your curriculum committee, and make sure you’re replaced by a woman of color or trans person. Don’t have any in your department? HOW SHOCKING. -

What can universities do? Well, that’s easier. Stop hiring white cis men (except as needed to get/retain people who are not white cis men) until the problem goes away. If you think this is a bad or un-serious idea, your sexism/racism/transphobia is showing.

This is not about shame or guilt. Those things are useless. This is about shifting perspective. I know you’re not going to quit your job, but I want you to understand that you should. And to understand that by keeping your job and your other unearned privileges, you are running a continued debt to marginalized people and you should always be seeking ways to pay us back.

Not to alarm you, but statistically speaking you are the problem. Your very presence. I can’t tell you what is the best strategy for you to stop blocking my path. I can just ask that you please get out of my way.

blogs.ams.org...-757

Mathematics is centered on cisgender, straight, white males, and our silence allows that default to dominate.

Perhaps mathematics is the reine vernunft, pinnacle of pure reason, but this purity excludes people practically and illogically; math is both a supremum and supremacist.

Math is political because it is shaping our world. Cathy O’Neil argues in Weapons of Math Destruction that “big data” is inequitable and threatens democracy.

Math is political because it is learned by people. School is a cultural institution that, in part, seeks to recreate culture. Math is a critical access point for future opportunity, but it has been a very effective barrier. Given that math is political, I think we each have a responsibility for navigating our mathematical spaces intentionally around justice, power, and identity.

edit on 20-5-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

This is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)
edit on Sat May 20 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So WWII happened, so this could happen?

+10 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is exactly why people become hermits. Good lord we are near the end of civilization.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

"....give your job to a woman of color or a transgender"

I mean how many actual trans are there as a percentage? For that matter wouldnt all hiring be in ratio to the population distribution for a given demographic?

Are the Indian Aryans privileged, or the caste heirarchy? Is there serious Asian privilege afoot in China?

Such a bunch of trumped up hooey.
edit on 20-5-2017 by BlueJacket because: Sp

+12 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm sick of being hated upon because I'm a white male. Apparently I'm privileged. Yet, I don't have #. Apparently I'm a racist. Yet, pretty much all my friends are non-whites. Apparently I'm the problem. Yet, I'm a nobody. All this hating on white males, only because they are white males, is going to do one thing and one thing only; Create more racists on both sides. Good job Liberals for creating the extreme racism you pretend to be against!

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ugh as a white cis American male let me say this to all the other white did American males.

If you get angry at this article and let it throw you off nalance.. you are part of the problem.

Clearly this article is more artistic than it is an actual declaration. It is more expression than anything and I support it.

The point Is, not to quit your job, etc.

The point is to look in the mirror and be grateful for your privileges and keep them in mind when making d escisions for others.

Use your power for the greater good.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Is this a joke or is this actually completely retarded?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Social engineered chaos at its finest.

I had been relatively unaware of this nonsense until I saw Bill Nye "the give random people hand jobs" guy's new s*** show on netflix and he had some guy blasting white people for actually appreciating Asian culture.

Reverse racism is here and it is amplifying and netflix appears to be one of the platforms... really it is no surprise Soros recently invested heavily in it.

This professor that you are discussing needs to be fired ASAP, she is probably as terrible at Math as she is at understanding her own reality.

edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago05America/Chicago531pmSaturday12 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

(post by Antipathy17 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I am offended that "people of color" only seems to refer to one color.
It seems to me that yet again, Native Americans are being oppressed and subjugated by a privileged supremacist invader race.

Tell this woman who wrote that article to stop being so oppressive.

/sarcasm /eye roll #truefax #getouttatheway

+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Ugh as a white cis American male let me say this to all the other white did American males.

If you get angry at this article and let it throw you off nalance.. you are part of the problem.

Clearly this article is more artistic than it is an actual declaration. It is more expression than anything and I support it.

The point is to look in the mirror and be grateful for your privileges and keep them in mind when making d escisions for others.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Congratulations, you've perpetuated racism in the name of being politically correct.

I'm a Hispanic male, BTW, and find your passive-aggressive racist attitude just as appalling as any I've encountered from white people.
edit on 20 5 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

That's unfortunate by the way because I too am a huge Zelda fan and we have that in common.

I think I just see things differently because I am a liberal white did male who grew up in a poor African American neighborhood and went to private school that was racially diverse.

I watched the plight and struggles of my close friends first hand... I was equally poor and equally "bad" yet I was always treated better and given more opportunity.

I went to college for 4 years but didn't graduate due to running out of money with a semester left.

Yet somehow I work as a business analyst for a MAJOR financial company in the U.S.

Whereas I have women, African American, Latino, etc friends with master's degrees and doctorates and no one will hire Then, or they are vastly underemployed

I am one of those people taking up

And I recognize it and I am greatful for what I have.

I go out of my way to create a diverse working environment and use my privilege for good

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i dont feel privilege or guilt.
im just trying to get by....

nothing to feel privilege or guilt about

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I'm a white male, and I'm not sorry, but I don't have any privileges.

I went to a public grade school with whites, blacks, asians, and latinos. I went to a public high school with whites, blacks, asians, and latinos. I went a public community college, and then a public university.

I worked very hard, while also working a full-time job.

I applied for those jobs, I wasn't just "given," anything. I applied for my scholarships/grants.

I made myself get out of bed at 7 a.m. and I made myself study until nearly midnight on a daily basis.

I studied my ass off and passed with flying colors. I worked my ass off and got a promotion.

I own my own vehicle. I own my own home.

GTFO with this "check your white privilege," bull.

What am I to be grateful for? That I - myself - worked my ass off to be where I am today?

Oh, but all of my successes should be chalked up to the fact I'm a white male (not single, though).

This pisses me off.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

This isn't one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Congratulations, you've perpetuated racism in the name of being politically correct.

I'm a Hispanic male, BTW, and find your passive-aggressive racist attitude just as appalling as any I've encountered from white people.

Nailed it!

Thank you for your well rounded response project!

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

im white and grind it out in a foundry with many races..
we are all equally on the struggle
i guess i live in a different world

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

The idea of "White Privilege" implies success because of skin color rather than merit, and implies failure of Black and Hispanic(or others) by sheer tone of skin rather than choices and merits.

Neither is true and both are equally racist.

edit on 20 5 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I really am surprised that mybfellow white men seem to not believe we have any privilege in this society.

Please read my second post above^

In addition to that.. I never get pulled over by the poloce.. ever.. I've never gotten a ticket and I've been driving for 25 years.

I've gotten pretty much every job I've applied for.

I just my ass.. but there's other people who just there ads just as hard if not harder and don't seem to get nearly as lucky.

And like I said. I grew up poor.

You all should watch "dear white people"

Maybe it will change your perspective a bit

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I really am surprised that mybfellow white men seem to not believe we have any privilege in this society.

Please read my second post above^

In addition to that.. I never get pulled over by the poloce.. ever.. I've never gotten a ticket and I've been driving for 25 years.

I've gotten pretty much every job I've applied for.

I just my ass.. but there's other people who just there ads just as hard if not harder and don't seem to get nearly as lucky.

And like I said. I grew up poor.

You all should watch "dear white people"

Maybe it will change your perspective a bit

different worlds i guess.
i see you are in cleveland. i am just outside of it...
i dont really see the privilege around these parts.

i have been pulled over by the coppers
i have been passed over for jobs

i do not see what you see and i dont need to change my perspective.

if you feel the guilt as a result of your privilege feel free to pass me some bennies...apparently i dont have it as good as you.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

I grew up in inner city philly when the race wars were reversing from mostly white on black to mixed to black on white. I've seen and been disadvantaged and others as well. None of that changed until I moved out of the city. Philly is a breading ground for haters. No one is given an opportunity unless you kiss the right asses the right way.
edit on 20-5-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join