It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biracial UT pageant winner slammed as 'not black enough' on Twitter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Well, Obama identifies as "darker" too, but he also has a black father and white mother ... just like this girl. Are all these students going to tell him he's not "black enough?"

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hey! ENOUGH!

That's uh...that's different. Yea.

*flips through SJW handbook for applicable response*

THAT'S RACIST.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I assume that would be the miss university of Texas? Is that a thing? I went looking and only found results for the miss black UT? Is there no competition for all the others?

And hey if you ask me transgenders in sports should be a separate competition. Like paralympics. Sorry if I'm offensive to someone with that but everything else just isn't fair.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: MisterSpock

To be fair, I think Dolezal might actually be darker than the girl in the OP.

Of course...she's not naturally darker, but she identifies as darker.

Well, Dolezal was obviously smart enough to use "ethnic" appropriate hair styles.

Joking aside, that probably is the "real" issue here. As another pointed out, she probably has too nice of hair(and maybe too little of an ass) to be "black".

It's pretty ridiculous really, don't know why people actually care about this stuff.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Hey! ENOUGH!

That's uh...that's different. Yea.

*flips through SJW handbook for applicable response*

THAT'S RACIST.

Your still carrying the book around? There's an app now.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I assume that would be the miss university of Texas? Is that a thing? I went looking and only found results for the miss black UT? Is there no competition for all the others?

And hey if you ask me transgenders in sports should be a separate competition. Like paralympics. Sorry if I'm offensive to someone with that but everything else just isn't fair.

Yes, but just Miss University of Texas would be open to anyone. This competition is apparently only open to black students, and in the case of this girl, the some of the students believe she shouldn't be allowed as she was biracial.

So, she could join Miss University of Texas, white girls can join MIss University of Texas, and black girls can join Miss University of Texas.

You mentioned competitions for all colors implying everyone had their own racial competition, leaving out biracial kids entirely ... accept for Miss University of Texas (assuming they have it) which is open to biracial kids, kids who can join race-specific competitions, and white kids who don't have their own race specific competition.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Well then the problem is pretty obviously the one who started the miss black university thing. Was bound to create further racial separations. And would be a total in your face joke if the regular Miss Texas were Hispanic. Or Asian.

The world is just crazy.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill
Do you have a Miss White Universe in Texas?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Well then the problem is pretty obviously the one who started the miss black university thing. Was bound to create further racial separations. And would be a total in your face joke if the regular Miss Texas were Hispanic. Or Asian.

The world is just crazy.

On that we can agree.

I can see it inasmuch as different groups do have some differing ideals of beauty, but then again, there are girls in all groups who are very fine looking too.

Last I checked, the models on the runway are all ethnicities these days.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Do you have a Miss White Universe in Texas?

Are you god damn crazy!!!!!@@!!!!!!

That's super racist.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Haha I just checked Miss Texas has Mexican roots.

Hilarious

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

This is not new. I have coworkers who were tormented for not being black enough, and others for being too black by the black community.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
We used to be clear on these things. There was Black, White and Mulatto, a combination of both.

Mulatto is a term originally used to refer to a person who is born from one black parent and one white parent; more broadly, it refers to a person of mixed white and black ancestry in any proportion. Contemporary usage of the term is generally confined to situations in which the term is considered relevant in a historical context.

Mulatto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She certainly appears white or Hispanic at most. She looks white to me.....................

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Yes, we were clear, and still are. Mulatto was considered black, and still is. Her dad is black .. but you say she is white so I guess she can't be black.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
but you say she is white so I guess she can't be black.

Not what I said... I said she 'appears' to be white.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I have known more than a few black girls who looked much whiter than her. We know her dad is black. How is anyone arguing she is not black. And saying she looks white is fanning the flames for sure.

She definitely does not look white. She is a halfie for sure.

edit on 4-5-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
She doesn't look white to me... She just looks like a fair skinned black chick or hispanic. While I don't know her, my guess is that she may identify more with her white side and the students who care about the competition may know that to be the case. For example, did she pledge Delta or AKA or is she part of one of the white sororities?

Being mixed, mulatto, bi-racial or whatever isn't a big deal in the black community. In the vast majority of cases, you are still considered black and almost always identify with the black side more than the white side.

In some cases though, you can have mixed folks who for whatever reason pick up more of the white side in terms of culture, mannerisms, social scene, etc. This becomes particularly acute if the person isn't outwardly black (hair much straighter, very fair skinned, etc).

I can only suspect that is what is going on in this case. Heck, Kappas are known for being light skinned pretty boys anyway, so it isn't the bi-racial aspect that is the problem per se.

Regardless, she is very attractive and if I were in college I'd be trying to smash.

Sometimes minorities get sensitive about people who could be perceived to be passing or not really identifying as a minority taking advantage of it for gain (except in the case of Liz Warren) or only claiming it when advantageous. For example, I worked with a young lady who claimed she was hispanic. She won a scholarship to a to business school. Her grandmother was Puerto Rican. However, she was a pasty white red head who grew up in New England. She had more in common with the Kennedys than anything hispanic. It was clear she was only claiming it to get a highly coveted admission spot and scholarship.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Being from New England, and having known pasty white red head Puerto Ricans, they took being PR VERY serious, nothing in common with the Kennedys. So I can't speak for the person you mention, but being pasty white and redhead is a VERY Puerto Rican trait (as in 100% Puerto Rican).

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not black enough? LOL, she ain't black at all.

Not that i care, "Miss Black" anything is dumb in my opinion. We are miles away from any real humanism, i think. This is just a stupid example. Of course she's not black. Does it really matter, though? Pageants are stupid to begin with. Racially positioned pageants are moreso.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is her, for anyone who hasn't seen her pictures:

<< 1    3  4 >>

join