It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Most mom and pops try to avoid overtime in any case.

I'm sure this won't really effect that in the slightest.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Making America suck again by taking away every opportunity and benefit from working people and giving everything to the rich. We tried to warn you, but Americans were too infatuated with testosterone fueled rants and rebellion to listen to anyone who actually understood what they were doing. Hopefully this won't pass the senate, otherwise we'll all be worked to death and given only promises of eventual time off in return. Let's go back to the days when everyone worked 15 hours a day 6 days a week and died penniless by age 60. Doesn't that count as treason?

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

money.cnn.com...

Where is the "end of overtime" at? There are instances where I have taken other than OT for various reasons....still partisan as ever CB

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
I imagine most Mom and Pops won't offer it.

Depends on the mom and pop.
My boss would most likely jump at the comp time thing during certain times of the year when businesses go through their natural cycle.
But yeah, small shops are a lot different than huge corporations and will require a lot more planning on both parts to make it a reality.
Easier to take off every other friday in such a place than long stretches of time with a skills void on a small ship.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

True enough but on the flip side. Let's take jobs that pay under 10/hr (where legal). That would be a small sector of jobs. Should they all eventually come to the standard practice of only offering comp time vacations, it could evolve to the standard. Same thing with how health insurance through your employer used to be. It could work its way up.

Lots of "what-if" scenarios, and just spitballing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy1
Where is the "end of overtime" at? There are instances where I have taken other than OT for various reasons....still partisan as ever CB

Yeah, this entire thread has mostly been everyone calling the thread title out as BS...except for 1 guy who rejects reading the bill because the pubkins are evil and want to enslave mankind or some such.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Actually, it used to be that most places didn't offer comp time anyway, so this bill does nothing for or against anyone working there. Those kind of perks are common in engineering, though, so this could help me.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

True enough but on the flip side. Let's take jobs that pay under 10/hr (where legal). That would be a small sector of jobs. Should they all eventually come to the standard practice of only offering comp time vacations, it could evolve to the standard. Same thing with how health insurance through your employer used to be. It could work its way up.

Lots of "what-if" scenarios, and just spitballing.

And thats a issue in a weak economy even without the comp time...want a job? lotta unemployment out there..sure, but no vacation time.

Strong economy vs weak economy may effect benefits for new hires. pain in the ass system but hey, one small step for man type thing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My last post here torturing you folks with truth you don’t want to hear…

One fine day all of you will say...”you know that guy WillTell was right.”

…Because I go back to the day when we were making progress as a civilization…

Getting to the 30 hour work week. The 6 or 7 hour work day. 10 week vacations a year

That’s right we were evolving to that folks at one time back in the day.

Then the storm clouds of republican backlash reared its ugly head

Ronald Reagan got elected president and that began the descent into this era of the 60 hour standard work week…two or three jobs just to survive

In other words we started going backwards

First the unions were broken

Taxes were massively cut for the rich from 70 percent to 30 percent

Bad trade deals, financial swindles, bank failures in the thousands, stock market swindles, outsourcing millions of manufacturing jobs and even the IT industry was gutted…eventually

I saw all this because I worked through the destruction of the auto industry and the destruction of the American IT industry.

You people don’t know it now but you’re being slowly destroyed, conditioned into self-destruction, unless you wake up

And you better wake up fast

Willtell

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Agreed. I would contest however that having a weak economy for such a long time has changed business practices between employee and employer. I don't expect those perks to come back overnight.

Speaking of which, i mentioned earlier that this was a common practice. What is the difference having the bill now as opposed to earlier?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

OK, I do see a small downside...

If a small place wanted to offer comp time, they might be a little worried that someone would use it like a Christmas Club account. Build up the time, then suddenly request payment. That could wreck a small payroll.

Still not enough to turn me against it, though.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Oh, I see now.

You're saying it's just a scam to make you work more hours and a step backwards in that respect.

Well, I've this to say on that. There will always be people who will work as much as they can for as long as they can for a myriad of reasons.

...but those dastardly 'publicans!!!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

OK, I do see a small downside...

If a small place wanted to offer comp time, they might be a little worried that someone would use it like a Christmas Club account. Build up the time, then suddenly request payment. That could wreck a small payroll.

Still not enough to turn me against it, though.

TheRedneck

That's why we don't have nice things!

Always someone who wrecks a good program, but as you stated, only in a small payroll scenario.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I've never worked anywhere that did. 'course, I've only had three jobs since HS...I've found that that is rather rare.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

then why are you here?

To filibuster a already passed bill in the house that still has to make it through the senate to end up on the prez's desk.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

it wouldn't hurt to add the word "paid"

lol... thats cause it not "paid" time off... instead of getting paid time in a half for overtime, they pay the regular hourly wage for overtime plus an hour or so time off at a date to be named later.

edit on 3-5-2017 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hahaha! I've swapped that many jobs in under a year!

My employment history, as condensed as I can get it, covers 5 pages. Admittedly, some were short-term contract labor, and several were in trucking (typical turnover rate of 400-500%). It's how you climb the corporate ladder.

Of course, once you climb it, you find another ladder... then another... the rungs get slippery... so as far as I'm concerned, the rat race is over and the rats won. Now I just want a nice quiet little desk in the back room out of sight of the public, and somebody with a purty face to take all the credit.

I guess when you get old, you start looking at things different.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

By that reasoning, the worker still wins. They would get the hour paid PLUS an hour of time off later. However, that's not what is in the bill.

1 hour of OT = 1.5 hours PTO

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

lol... thats cause it not "paid" time off... instead of getting paid time in a half for overtime, they pay the regular hourly wage for overtime plus an hour or so time off at a date to be named later.

I don't think I could have dreamed something that ridiculous up if I slept for 30 years straight!

Read the bill.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   
So I'll ask it again because I think it is relevant.

What keeps employers from doing this already? What does this bill change or add?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I don't think I could have dreamed something that ridiculous up if I slept for 30 years straight!

No problem, congress has been asleep a hell of alot longer than that...

"Compensation" can be in many forms, so If you like your time off, you can keep your time off...

edit on 3-5-2017 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join