It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If disclosure happened tomorrow...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This thread is a mixture of rant, questions and hypothetical analogies. I don't have any hard based facts here, just some ramblings from a wandering mind.

I've heard it said before that the government wouldn't disclose the knowledge of Advanced Alien life to us because it would cause a global meltdown. For some reason the Government feels that we just wouldn't be able to handle it.

I've heard things ranging fromThe stock markets would crash due to uncertainty or that there would be mass chaos in the streets, group suicides, pandemonium, you name it.

But when it comes down to it, what I think the biggest concern is, Most of all - Religions would crumble.

So Just pure utter chaos.... But why?
Is it because we were told we would act like that, so with that in mind, we would?
Is it because we fear the unknown?
Or is it because it would bring to light that the government has lied to us over how many years now, claiming they have never received any communications or evidence of Life outside of our little bubble.

In 2014 NASA gave just over $1 million dollars, to The Center of Theological Inquiry, based in New Jersey, to study "the societal implications of astrobiology."
That's a lot of loot to do a study IMO.
Well the Freedom from Religion Foundation asked NASA to revoke the grant and eventually threatend to sue them if they didn't fall in line, claiming that their concern was mainly the "commingling of government and religious organizations" and how the FFR felt it was a waste of money because science should not concern itself with how its progress will impact faith-based beliefs.

Now I don't see the need to sue NASA over this, but I do see their point. Why do we need to feel out if religion will meet its demise if it was announced there was intelligent alien life out there?
I believe in a god. A creator, a superior being, that knows all, and possibly IS all.
But I wouldn't burn down my church if I was told E.T exists.
I think there's plenty of room in science for a god, as do a good majority of other believers I assume... with the exception of extremists of course.

Do I believe in Adam and Eve ? No. I think it's a children's tale.
It's much easier to tell that story, than it is to explain the Big Bang...believe me, I know. I was asked by my 8 year old just yesterday, how we got here and how did life start. We had an hour long YouTube session, and by the end of it, she understood the basics behind what evolution is.

My 8 year old loves God. She Goes to a Catholic school. She Regularly attends mass with her class, heck sometimes I even take her.
Well to my surprise, She didn't have a break down or a fit when I told her and showed her the videos about evolutions part in this world. She didn't even renounce her faith.

Why? Because she has more sense than that.
So do the rest of us...or at least I'd like to think the majority of us at least.

So if the world leaders have made and are in, contact with an advanced civilization outside of earth, why the secrets? Why are we being lied to?

In the year 2000 astronomers knew about 50 or so exoplanets. Planets that occupy what WE THINK, is that special Goldilocks zone, that allows life to be a possibility.
By 2013, we had discovered over 850 of these planets, and that number keeps on rising almost every month or so.
I guess we're not so special after all.

As we have learnt, life finds a way. It can pop up in the most random places. Be it deep in the arctic, or miles under the ocean around hydrothermal vents...heck even my fridge has been known to host a sudden outbreak of "life" in my wife's long forgotten casserole in the back.

So why would it be so hard for us to accept that out of the +400 billion stars in our galaxy alone, that there are planets just like earth. Teaming with life. And that Everywhere you go, your tripping over one of "Gods Miracles"

Maybe people will no longer feel special anymore? That they will realize we just happen to be one of the millions of planets that happened to form the correct elements to allow life to exists.
So what?
Just because we found out were not the only child anymore, doesn't mean God can't love us, right?
We could think of it like God went to vegas and mommy stayed home...now we have a new brother or sister.
The point being, I don't see how the church - which ever creed it may be, would fall due to the discovery of intelligent life.
I could go on for hours about how if my faith, Christianity, was the true religion, then that would mean, god had to of sent a "Jesus" to millions of planets, just to be crucified, for the religion to be true.

It doesn't bother me one bit about how ludicrous that sounds in order for it to be true.
But really, wouldn't that be but a small feat for something whom created that vast universe.

One thing I do know, is how religion has adapted over the years to accommodate others. There are certain aspects of religion that would have to be abandoned of course if indeed Aliens did pop in, or the governments finally telling us they've been here all along.
But nonetheless, people could still believe in one creator, one superior being, that is responsible for everything here on earth...and in the universe....until the Aliens told us otherwise.

So If disclosure happened tomorrow, what would you do?

Would you join the supposed hypothesized masses and partake in the uprising in the streets?
Would you renounce your religion and try to get back all those coins you placed in the collection plate.
Or Would you say, I knew it! And continue onto work like every other day?

Sorry for the long one folks, I've been reading Hawkings book "A Brief History of Time" and it got me thinking about the implications of Science, ET's and God and if the 3 can coexist with each other.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Interesting subject. Always gets me thinking...

What would I do tomorrow? Mhmm...

Guess I'd skip job, then I could think about the next steps.
edit on 24/4/2017 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think most of us would just say "finally the Gov have done something right" about time lol. but true cause millions have been waiting for them to say.

It wouldn't put me off my normal routine cause I'm one that believes​ their is thousands/millions of "Alien beings" just like us on different levels being played out throughout the universe... Would just be nice for them to say that's​ all.
edit on 24 4 2017 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Same with me. It would actually give me more trust in the government if they admitted they lied and provided an explanation.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Same with me. It would actually give me more trust in the government if they admitted they lied and provided an explanation.

Exactly and it shouldn't be hard for them to admit it...This is the thing, they've been hiding it so long it's probably impossible for them to give us everything they know.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't understand why anyone would believe "religions would crumble" is it came to light that ET's were real. Why would religions crumble? On what basis? Does the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book state that we humans are the only beings God created? Those books don't say that. Does the Vatican maintain we're the only creatures of God? No, the Vatican says quite the opposite, in fact, and has publicly acknowledged that the Cosmos may be full of life. Will some fundamentalist sects be upset? Sure, of course, but meh? They're nutcases anyway. If Disclosure happened ,they would still be nutcases.

Now, the fact is that we are a space faring species. We've sent probes to all the planets and beyond. We've landed on the Moon and have a presence on Mars, both ground-based and orbital. It's obvious were within a few years of sending humans to Mars. We've grown up with Rocky Jones, Space Ranger and Star Trek. If Jean Luc Picard pared the Enterprise in standard orbit and broadcast, Hey, guys, if you behave yourselves you can join the United Federation of Planets, would anyone REALLY be that surprised? I don't think so. It fits right in with our worldview.

So EITHER: (a) The government doesn't have much to Disclose and the whole idea is promoted by wishful thinking of people who see "aliens from space" in every light in the sky they can't immediately identify. or (b) The government DOES know something, and it is REALLY BAD! In other words, aliens are NOT from space at all and that world view is nonsense. They are from another dimension and treat us as farm animals at best and behave in what may as well be called a demonic manner (no religion required: Bad guys are still bad guys) and that we are totally screwed but don't know it. If that's what Disclosure would reveal, no wonder the government doesn't want to Disclose.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Why do they not tell the people what they know?

Well 1 year on from disclosure will see our world as a place that no one, not even us here on ATS will recognise or I suspect can even imagine.

It will not only bring down the US government and all who sail in her now but also those who have sailed in over the last 60 decades. But also the same will happen to most western governments. It will be nothing short of the end of Civilisation as we know it.

In fact I suggest that they will most likely push the H bomb button if necessary to prevent this news from getting out.

Does it have to happen? Well I would say we are probable over due for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The religious implications aside, I understand why the governments of the world would be fearful of the consequences of alien disclosure. Even back in the days before many people believed in extraterrestrials when the War of the Worlds radio broadcast happened people who tuned in after the initial disclosures about how it was not a real news broadcast believed Earth was really being invaded by aliens and there was panic and suicides.

Now in my personal opinion I don't think disclosure would cause the collapse of religion. Even according to religious texts "God" is not of this world- that makes Him/Her an alien.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
From one side of the scale to the other would describe modern humans, it takes all kinds. Problems will arise with the radicals, hardliners will lose it completely. Remember in the film "contact" when the fanatic blew up the device as it was speeding up? Generation after generation has been led down a very long path of BS..and some will firmly go off the deep end. The non religious will see ultimate authority change shape and boundaries will be moved as to their limits of what they may do. Not all see this as we, the reactions will be intense and extreme for many...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

First of all I have to say I don't believe the hypothesis that government bodies are in communication with ET, there is scant evidence to support this and in my honest opinion I don't believe we have the mental capacity to remotely comprehend the complexities of our true relationship with existence.

What we seem to have is a mish mash of information, some designed to be deceitful and some genuinely honest. Both these types of information seems to stem from experiencers and organised groups. Now the question remains whether the disseminators of such information are themselves aware of truth and lies.

From my own difficult experiences I can attest to the fact that when you are suddenly thrust from one belief system to another you loose the very foundation you have built your life on. I am not exaggerating when I say its an incredibly destabilising experience. It can take months or years to rebuild your foundations and during this time there is a huge amount of mental and emotional uncertainty, and I have been a very open minded individual. Now imagine how people with a more rigid outlook on life would react?

I was stupid enough to discuss my experiences with my peers (high level scientists) and some ridiculed me, some however were less skeptical, when I asked them how they would deal with it they told me they wouldn't be able to and it would destroy everything they believed in. I was shocked at the fear they had, a typical response was "I don't want to think about that as there is no empirical evidence for it". Now apply that to religious folk...

Believe me when I say there is a huge difference between believing something might exist to suddenly being face to face with it. You may think you are ok with these things but its a whole new level of brown trousers when you realise you are at the mercy of things you cannot even begin to relate to.

So from experience I am pretty sure disclosure would create a rather rapid global psychological disaster, if only for a few years.....

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

The stories about the War of the Worlds broadcast were greatly exaggerated, there were no suicides resultant.

That said, saying "We have evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life" is quite a bit different from "Martians have landed and are frying people with heat rays!"

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 4/24/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MAC269

Why do they not tell the people what they know? Well 1 year on from disclosure will see our world as a place that no one, not even us here on ATS will recognise or I suspect can even imagine. It will not only bring down the US government and all who sail in her now but also those who have sailed in over the last 60 decades. But also the same will happen to most western governments. It will be nothing short of the end of Civilisation as we know it.

Oh, nonsense. Why would governments fail? You will still have to feed yourself. You'll still have to live, take showers, participate in the economy. The roads will still have to be fixed, the garbage collected. Kids would still be born. Life would not just stop. In other words, the Earth would not stop spinning. The institutions that have evolved would still need to be in place. The recognition that ET was real and may have visited is insufficient to destroy order out of hand.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage, your opinions are always grounded and sound on ATS.
I would like to know what your thoughts on this are.

You wake up tomorrow morning and it's all over the news.
How do you react?
Is it Just another day floating through space or Are your beliefs challenged in some form or another?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

How do you react?

It would depend upon the context.

Heat rays? I might take a day off work.
Something unequivocal from SETI? Probably not.

Feel free to fill the shades between.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There's that bit in the Bible about Jesus having to attend to "his other sheep" that are "not of this fold" for which He must lay down His life. (John 10:15-17).

And the assumption that if intelligent life exists out there that Jesus would have to die millions of times over also isn't a foregone conclusion. The Drake Equation (normally called upon to estimate the likelihood of intelligent life) has several terms which we are finding makes the likelihood quite low.

What makes you think there'd be one iota of difference in the religious world?

edit on 24/4/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No heat rays lol and well Beyond microbia.

Every channel on tv, every radio broadcast, every website reporting the same thing,
Heck even google's homepage has a picture of a flying saucer.
Intelligent, ET on earth, came by craft, no harm or threats, meeting with world leaders as they report.
are your core beliefs shaken or tried?
By that I mean, is this something that totally rearranges what you felt your place in this world meant.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Does the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book state that we humans are the only beings God created?

actually the bible says that God created at least two being,lifeforms,races or what ever you prefer to call them, angels and humans. to think that he didn't create any others is just foolishness.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
And just to clarify, it seems that some are taking what I wrote regarding religion in the wrong context.
In that I PERSONALLY have the outlook that religions would crumble.

I was using that as an example in what I've heard/read in the past as a possible implication of the impact on the general populace of faith based beliefs.

IMO, I don't think thats true.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

By that I mean, is this something that totally rearranges what you felt your place in this world meant.

Nope.
My paradigm is not dependent upon Earth being the only place with intelligent life. I would be thrilled to find otherwise.

Unless, you know, heat rays.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

In Christianity alone, the faith is based off the incarnate.
Jesus died for our sins by being crucified.
Hypothetically speaking here; in order for Christianity to be the true religion, Again HYPOTHETICALLY, wouldn't an incarnate of a Jesus type of figure, needs to be crucified millions of times for each of these worlds.
Or does every race in the universe know that there was only one Jesus and he was on earth?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join