It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT Professor : US regressed to a Third World Nation for most of it's Citizens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
Not true at all !

The poorest of our citizens still live way above the level of a third world country.

They still have a smart phone and can post on ATS.

Yep...all paid for by those that work...just look up Obama phone...you pay, I pay, we all pay!

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Groot

But that will change though in a decade though. While yes at this point the poorest have smartphones and can post in ATS, that may change once the economy sinks even further and unemployment rates are increasing.

Of course it will sink because the new administration won't try to decrease the numbers of unemployed simply because they ran out of unemployment after the term they could claim runs out.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Really Trump???!!!! Ivanka's clothing products are manufactured in China.

Not to mention, breaking his promise to stop the war in Syria.

I don't think Trump is reliable on fixing the mess America is in.
edit on 4/20/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Really Trump???!!!! Ivanka his daughter manufactured products in China.

Not to mention, breaking his promise to stop the war in Syria.

I don't think Trump is reliable.

Hmmm...4 months in versus 8 years....ill take the odds.

So...do you think Ivanka suddenly started manufacturing there in the last 4 months? Or was it during Obama's terms?

Come back in a few years and let me know how you feel.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Labor Force

Apparently tens of millions of baby boomers retired and no one took over their jobs.

Weird huh???

Yes, because the younger generation are not motivated enough to get a real job to take over those jobs. I am 52 years old. Been in a blue collar job for 30 years. 5 years, I can retire with a nice pension. My wife works at Walmart, of all places. They can not get enough people to hire that are even worth a #. That, right there, is the state of our economy.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Labor Force

Apparently tens of millions of baby boomers retired and no one took over their jobs.

Weird huh???

Yes, because the younger generation are not motivated enough to get a real job to take over those jobs. I am 52 years old. Been in a blue collar job for 30 years. 5 years, I can retire with a nice pension. My wife works at Walmart, of all places. They can not get enough people to hire that are even worth a #. That, right there, is the state of our economy.

Most of them are headed to music festivals like Coachella on their parents dime...they will never want to work and if they do it will only be for a few months.

I say automate everything and let them eat cake....

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

What state do you live in? In places like California, living comfortably like yours is not possible due to how expensive the cost of living is.

And if Trump betrayed his promise in 8 years what then?
edit on 4/20/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You mention Japan as an example of a country with updated infrastructure.
Japan has twice the debt ratio to gross domestic product as the US because all those infrastructure projects were on borrowed money.
Maybe our leaders are just watching Japan to see if they bankrupt?
The trickle down reinvestment from large national infrastructure projects employing millions would be much higher than that from a *few* billionaire investors manipulating some paper derivative products.
Maybe they are happy just skimming the taxes?
edit on 20-4-2017 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I've heard that most of these new applicants now can't pass a drug test and if they do they don't last long because most places have random drug testing throughout employment. Top that off a lot of places have physical assessment tests to pass before you can be hired. I believe the MIT professor is correct over the past decade. Hopefully they can turn it around. The only thing keeping the economy going ithe last few years is Shark Tank.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Wrong, they aren't replacing the boomers with humans they are replacing them with machines.

Millennials work just as hard as anyone. Hence them being the most educated generation on the planet. They also work twice as much as you have at their age for half the earnings.

Look at the data.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You know M&M's are made constantly regardless of being sold or not. I bet more then half are thrown away. That's the economy we are in.

Isn't this ridiculous. That paper in your wallet only has a value because we place one on it. That paper isn't even good enough to wipe your ass. Yet it makes everything run around in circles. Doesn't make sense. That's why I'm low-middle class....we even have a class system....OMFG.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
I'm sorry but your wrong. I work around them constantly. I'm 28 so I hope I'm generation x because you millennials whine....omg do you all whine. Then do very little and expect it's a lot. I'm sorry I've never meet a sorry bunch of people. But who am I to talk. My generation has started this baby breeding babies and can't be satisfied for what we have....

Down hill indeed.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Obama: Shovel-Ready Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected--Glad that $$$ was pissed away.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Wrong, they aren't replacing the boomers with humans they are replacing them with machines.

Millennials work just as hard as anyone. Hence them being the most educated generation on the planet. They also work twice as much as you have at their age for half the earnings.

Look at the data.

Most educated generation- there lies the problem! With the push for all kids to get a college education comes a backlash- hundreds of thousands (probably more) of college educated adults still living at home with mom and dad, up to their eyeballs in college loan debt but unwilling to work at a job they consider "beneath" them even if they could make just as much in wages and benefits as they could in whatever career their college degree is for. Example: I had these neighbors for 15 years- good, hardworking people- who worked their butts off to put all 3 of their sons through college only to have 2 of them not get jobs in their chosen careers until their very late 20s and 1 still at home in his early 30s because they refused to do anything blue collar when they had a college degree. Nevermind that their father (who recently retired from a refinery job) made more money and had better benefits than either of the 2 now working within their degreed fields.

There are PLENTY of jobs out there for young people these days. Many trades are literally BEGGING for young people to enter their apprentice programs- damned good paying trades with excellent benefits. It's just that a whole heck of a lot of these college grads are afraid to actually get their hands dirty.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

They were sold a false paradigm.

Now they expect what they were told they would get if the accomplished this and that.

Now you blame the youngest people in our country for the problems our country is facing?

No, not accepting that sorry.

Also if you look at the %'s of people working in the Millennial age range you can see they have relatively close to the same # of employed.

So the theory that they just aren't working is also a lie.
edit on 20-4-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Look at the data.

I don't need to look at the data to know that hiring a "millennial", for an entry level job, almost never works out.
From my experience, they do not work "just as hard as anyone", they work just enough to not get fired.

edit on 2017-04-20T19:43:07-05:002201720America/Chicago4 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
great OP!

...And thanks much for the link.

This has been my paradigm since coming to ATS. The combination of conservative republican economic ( coddle the rich) policies AND dogma for 40 years since Reagan HAS GUTTED THE us ECONOMY.

I KNOW I WAS THERE WHEN the US economy was ready to shift into a developmental gear of lasting economic security and progress when Ronald Reagan got elected and fooled the people to cut taxes for the rich from about 80 percent to 30 percent.

And then the union bashing started and now we have no unions and are 100 percent at the mercy of the corporate bandit and his bandidos in the US government, congress and the white house.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Oh please with your gross over generalizations.

Just stop it with the nonsense. I am sure there are plenty of younger people working at whatever it is you do.
Just because people are not a proper fit for your company doesn't make 74 million people lazy.

It's almost laughable when you look at the numbers.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
That's not a generation thing, that's an age thing. Everybody comes out of school thinking at work you work like it's school. It's not. You have to bust your ass. Everybody learns this by their late 20's-early 30s. Nobody wants to admit they used to be that stupid kid, and some genuinely never noticed how much work everyone else was doing while they were wasting time standing around. The college grads come out of school expecting a job that will pay off their student loans. Can you blame them for being pissed? Pick any random STEM degree, and look how much it costs, then look up job openings and their starting pay. Don't bother going to college unless you plan to get a PhD.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Obama: Shovel-Ready Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected--Glad that $$$ was pissed away.

B.I.N.G.O. Obama screwed the economy. Anyone that blames Trump now is a tard. We are now trying to shovel out of his mess. The last 8 years has bankrupted us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join