It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario Province Says Criticism Of Muslim Prayer In Public Schools ‘Racist’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So, it appears Canada has no problem with both prayer in schools and having religious teachers address students.... if Islamic. I find it funny that this is not tolerated for members of any other religion.

dailycaller.com...

The Peel District School Board, responsible for a large swath of schools in the suburbs of Toronto, allows Muslim students to hold regular Friday prayer session on school time and on school property. Parents have objected to this practice because they say Christians and Jews are not allowed to hold religious meetings.

The school prayers have become an issue because local imams are invited to pray and speak to the students in Arabic, and the school board cannot provide assurances that the students are not being subjected to radical Islamic indoctrination.

The two Ontario ministers dismissed the concerns of parents and refused to address the question of why one religion is being taught in public schools, saying such a practice was in full compliance with the human rights code and religious accommodation guidelines.

They suggested opposition to the weekly prayers was based in prejudice.

edit on 25-3-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Canada is nuts, you know that right? The government has even rigged the political system in such away to make it nearly impossible to get rid of these stupid laws, or the retarded politicians that push them. Stick a fork in it, Canada is done.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Couldnt agree more...I believe in the 1st, but separation of church and state needs to be upheld. Private religious schools are protected under the Constitution...NOT public government endorsed curriculum
edit on 25-3-2017 by BlueJacket because: Eta

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I am not as aware of Canada's version of religion and public schools. I assume it is similar to the US?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Ya know, i mispoke...im unsure of Canadian laws in this regard

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I am not as aware of Canada's version of religion and public schools. I assume it is similar to the US?

Well you addressed the issue perfectly in your OP for a fence position. There shouldn't be Religion in school at all, that is special treatment.

Now if that's to say History classes can't shrink everything, because they do, the way they do with a cultures Religion as they study it, that only makes sense. It would only make sense to inspect aspects of Christianity over the coarse of History and not as a whole. The same would go for Islam in that section of history. These would be bullet points compared to taking a Philosophy class, something more controversial depending on how specific it is.

There are certain grey areas. They aren't fine lines though, the Pillars of Islam is the 15 minute version of Islam("The 10 commandments"), and is often taught in schools. Anything that fringes ideology or radicalism is probably avoided.
edit on 25-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MacK80

Yeah, I think the prayer room and Islamic preachers teaching Islam in Arabic goes beyond history on this one.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

“It felt important to Minister Coteau and I to really reinforce our expectations … there’s just no tolerance for discrimination of any sort. We don’t tolerate issues of racism and Islamophobia.”

Allowing one specific religion to have privileges others do not is the definition of discrimination.

Is Canada drunk?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There's a lot of useful idiots out there who seem to be under the delusion that Islam is a race, rather than religious creed.

It's not true, of course.

" The school prayers have become an issue because local imams are invited to pray and speak to the students in Arabic, and the school board cannot provide assurances that the students are not being subjected to radical Islamic indoctrination. "

This part seems worthy of investigation. Ignore the people throwing the word racism around like a live hand grenade, if there is any possibility these imams are preaching Wahhabism then that stuff needs stopped.

Oh and if the law says no prayer in school, they shouldn't be invited based on that alone.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The America dream would be getting the prayer room to be shared for different activities, hopefully of prayer relation, to whomever desires of whatever sect. Edit: I actually really like this idea. Picturing a bunch of kids congregating together to learn about their Religion, but also their Friends. Probably a million dollar business that could save the world, but people would rather talk about censorship. As an Atheist, I'd put money towards these ass-hats learning about each other.

I don't even pray, just saying.

This issue stems from the controversy of Philosophy classes then probably though. It is ironic to teach Islams ways and not have a prayer room no? I don't agree with that insane rhetorical, I can just easily imagine how it was copped up. Similarly some schools had church-like extensions for Christians. I'm glad that didn't become a 'thing' experiencing round two is frustrating for me as well.
edit on 25-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Islam is a race now?

Like the "Aryan's" are a race?

(the Nazi Hyper-Tribalist political doctrine had Germanic peoples identify as the Aryan race; the Islamist Hyper-Tribalist political doctrine apparently has Arab's identify as Islamic).
edit on 25-3-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well damm I guess we need a wall on the Northern border too.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Shangralah

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I treat everyone the same.

No one gets special treatment. They can suck it.

(post by Milehigh removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How did you all miss this part?

Last week a video surfaced on YouTube that featured an imam speaking to a Montreal mosque, in which he urged the congregation “to kill the Jew behind you.”

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If it is not OK for one, it should not be OK for another.

I am a moderate dem and this is pure far left BS. Hate those idiots who call everything racist or bigoted and this is neither. You either allow ALL religions to practice on school grounds or NONE at all. I am for not letting any, it is bad enough the schools teach a watered down version of history but it is even worse to allow organized religion in to brain wash kids.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
How did you all miss this part?

Last week a video surfaced on YouTube that featured an imam speaking to a Montreal mosque, in which he urged the congregation “to kill the Jew behind you.”

Those videos are of radicals.

Do you think these videos are a representation of their religion?

I don't.
edit on 25-3-2017 by Mictain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

“It felt important to Minister Coteau and I to really reinforce our expectations … there’s just no tolerance for discrimination of any sort. We don’t tolerate issues of racism and Islamophobia.”

Allowing one specific religion to have privileges others do not is the definition of discrimination.

Is Canada drunk?

Not, drunk, politicians are just stupid. When you can't do real work, what do you do? Become a politician.

This is a kind of reverse discrimination, something akin to affirmative action on crack. It's reverse because they are holding one group up over all others. The government should just stfu and start doing what the majority wants before people get pissed off enough to bring out the pitchforks and physically remove these assclowns.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<<   2 >>

join