It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trangender Bathroom and Locker Room Useage at Public Schools - New Federal Guidelines.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
February 21, 2017

Need help with understanding this... The Obama Administration said that Male and Female students had to use the Bathrooms and Locker Rooms that matched their gender. Why was that ruling a "protection"? It's been that way for centuries.

According to the below article, the Trump Administration is planning some changes. Perhaps changes that are more in line with the comments he made in April of 2016? ATS Thread on Candidate Trump's position: www.abovetopsecret.com...

ARTICLE FROM TODAY's WASHINGTON POST:

"The Trump administration plans to roll back protections for transgender students and is preparing changes to federal guidance that required the nation’s public schools to allow students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms that matched their gender identities.

A White House spokesman said Tuesday that the Education and Justice departments would soon issue new guidance on the matter. He hinted that it would be different from the Obama administration’s position, which was that denying transgender students the right to use the bathroom of their choice violates federal prohibitions against sex discrimination.

“I think that all you have to do is look at what the president’s view has been for a long time, that this is not something that the federal government should be involved in, this is a states’ rights issue,” spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters at a daily media briefing Tuesday afternoon 2.21.2017"

FULL STORY AT: www.msn.com...

-CareWeMust
edit on 2/21/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Feb 23 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: ADDED EX TAGS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

My God defecating and urinating is a big deal.

Just shut up and go into the bathroom that matches what you look like. Use the stall if your plumbing is different. That is how it has been working since bathrooms moved indoors.
Last year is not the first year people have been changing their gender ID's.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
"what are all you sjw snowflakes crying about Trump hasn't done anything to hurt you yet he's super supportive of LGBT rights and always has been"
right, so, can we get an acknowledgement that we're like than a month into his presidency and we're having changes that do nothing but potentially put a group who are already living at risk right into more dangerous situations?
or should i not bother checking back in this thread because it's going to devolve rapidly into a transphobic circle jerk?
i wonder...
edit on 21-2-2017 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Wow, you have already drawn a conclusion.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm not visiting MSN to get their story. But I do have one question.

From the OP I get the impression that they (The feds) are looking to make this a state authority instead of a federal authority issue.

Is that correct?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If the administration keeps to it's word and allows it to be a states issue then I'm cool with that. I do however feel bad for all those poor Trans kids that will be affected by this living in podunk states and I hope their parents have jobs that allow for relocation.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
"what are all you sjw snowflakes crying about Trump hasn't done anything to hurt you yet he's super supportive of LGBT rights and always has been"
right, so, can we get an acknowledgement that we're like than a month into his presidency and we're having changes that do nothing but potentially put a group who are already living at risk right into more dangerous situations?
or should i not bother checking back in this thread because it's going to devolve rapidly into a transphobic circle jerk?
i wonder...

Um... can you tell me honestly why this "group" is living at risk right now and will potentially get put into a more dangerous situation... because of where they pee?

I'm honestly trying to understand the problem. Is this just more victim posturing or is there an honest danger to someone's person if they pee according to plumbing?

Are people being shot for squatting instead of standing in the wrong restrooms in town? Burned at the stake?

Why has this evolved into a topic where any rational person cares?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand I understand that in very specific cases it should be allowed but on the other hand I also understand that this could possibly be abused by perverts as a scapegoat to get out of trouble.
edit on 2/21/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

If so, it's just a temporary fix, and the issue will ultimately wind up in the Supreme Court.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: continuousThunder

Wow, you have already drawn a conclusion.

"rolling back protection" doesn't exactly sound like trans teens are about to be given free candy, does it?

...unless the conclusion you're talking about is that there are a number of loudly transphobic people on this site, in which case let me just point out that i'm a trans woman and i've been using ats for a decade, i think i'm less drawing conclusions than speaking from experience.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

My God defecating and urinating is a big deal.

Just shut up and go into the bathroom that matches what you look like. Use the stall if your plumbing is different. That is how it has been working since bathrooms moved indoors.
Last year is not the first year people have been changing their gender ID's.

Good lord, I never thought I'd hear such sense that I agreed with coming from you.

Well said, Seasonal. I mean that.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hermaphrodites are one thing, but if you want your kid to be rediculed to death, allow them to be whatever they want.

It is borderline abuse to not teach a kid their identity like a responsible parent.

What is next, bathrooms for imaginary alligators? I was convinced I was an alligator at one point in my childhood.

My parents set me straight last year though, it's ok now

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I see TSA checkpoints in the near future !!

Special IDs with doctor certifications.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I for one would like to take this issue and use it to further my agenda of SINGLE USE BATHROOMS!

I don't know about you guys, but I find it highly barbaric that we even have bathrooms within a bathroom, that people can hear and smell sometimes even see what you're doing, why in the day and age of the internet are we even using bathrooms in bulk?

ITS A BATHROOM! NOT A PEE PARTY!

EVer imagine how much we'd cut down on virus and bacteria spread, let alone the sick days.

Then we'd not even have this gender issue be an issue, every bathroom would be within ADA regulations and would be unisex.

Let's end the gross group dedication trend and join the civilization as a private bathroom use society.

edit on 21-2-2017 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Agreed, it is kinda like group showers in gym. Not needed.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

There's a gas station/truck stop in Indiana where the truck drivers bring their pre-teen daughters into the men's room. Maybe the new Federal Guidelines will stop that. Or maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy for feeling uncomfortable at the urinal, when little girls are present.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreyScale

originally posted by: continuousThunder
i wonder...

Um... can you tell me honestly why this "group" is living at risk right now and will potentially get put into a more dangerous situation... because of where they pee?

I'm honestly trying to understand the problem. Is this just more victim posturing or is there an honest danger to someone's person if they pee according to plumbing?

Are people being shot for squatting instead of standing in the wrong restrooms in town? Burned at the stake?

Why has this evolved into a topic where any rational person cares?

Rational people shouldn't care. This *should* be a complete non-issue.
Trans people should be able to pee wherever they feel comfortable, and that's all we want from this ordeal.
UNfortunately, a lot of people want it to be dictated where people can pee based on their genitals, and that's where we get problems.

For a start because it means that people will be policed based on appearance and their adherence to gender norms, and that's just a mess waiting to happen - people come in all shapes and sizes and don't always fit stereotypical gender expectations. an example right off the top of my head is that i've known many very masculine butch lesbians, what will happen to them? are they going to have to show their genitals to get into a bathroom? for laws ostensibly designed for the protection of women and children, it's starting to sound like some serious privacy invasion.

more pertinently, dealing with Trans people, we are all aware that transition is a lengthy, painful process, right?
when i transitioned there was a period of a year or more where i didn't look i fit anywhere. i was still too rough around the edges to go unquestioned in a policed female bathroom but i was definitely far too feminine to be safe in a male one.
i used to get threats from men just walking to the corner shop and was attacked, viciously and physically on multiple occasions [five years later and i still have scars].
Fortunately for me, i was allowed to use the female bathroom at my place of work, and while i got a few odd stares for a while, i was never beaten up in a toilet stall.
i guarantee you, that would have happened if i was forced to only use the mens and i have friends it has happened to.
imagine that for a second, beaten bloody in a smelly public toilet, just for existing.
so yeah i have no hesitation in saying this puts a group in danger right in more harms way.

another, secondary point to consider is that now i look entirely female and i'm actually very attractive, in a girl next door kinda way [not bragging, just relevant honesty]. should my genitals dictate where i pee now? would you send your cute female bff into the dingy men's room at the bar in your city? every single time she needs to pee? how long do you reckon it would take for that to turn ugly?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
As as a financial contributor to several transgender advocacy organizations, I am on several mailing lists and we've pretty much known this was coming.

Obama issued the guidelines on transgender students in May of last year in his "Dear Colleague" letter. Later, a federal judge in Texas issued an injunction or some legal maneuver to halt enforcement of the guidelines nationwide. This same judge filed suit against the federal government for the state of Texas to revoke these guidelines all together. 13 additional states joined in this lawsuit.

Two days after Sessions was appointed Attorney General, it was announced the federal government would not contest or fight the lawsuits brought on by the states.

Now DeVoss and Sessions are intending to completely just do away with the guidelines issued by the Obama administration.

Here is one of the emails I received today from the National Center for Transgender Equality

I followed the link in the email, added my 2¢ and emailed six different govt. entities and individuals. I urge you to check it out if for no other reason to see what grassroots, person on the street activism looks like and who got the emails. This isn't social justice warrioring. It's fighting for the survival, equality and dignity of children directly affected by this. Since I was one of those children fifty years ago, this issue is near and dear to my heart because I don't want kids to have to grow up with the bull# I did in the 60's and early 70's.

Last week, over 1,000 parents also emailed Trump, Sessions and DeVoss to please keep these guidelines in place for the sake of their transgender children.

When you have a genuine understanding of these issues and can separate them out from all the non-binary/genderqueer transtrenders and attention seeking gender-neutral nonsense, this is a serious issue for those students that are genuinely transgender suffering from gender dysphoria and their parents and are concerned for their well-being, mental health and the ability to have the same educational opportunities as everyone else.

Leaving up to the individual states is akin to licensing discrimination and will create a hodgepodge of different laws all over the country. These are national rights issues and need to be lead by the federal government.

I know this is ATS and trans topics seem to bring out the worst in people but I urge everyone to please take the time to learn more about this issue with open minds and compassion for the struggles of trans youth and their families.

I would be more than willing to help with that understanding in any way possible.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
First off, has anyone noticed how the Obama rules conflated gender identity with sex from the law? Sex is a biological thing and that is the word used in the actual Title IX law. Gender identity is a thing that stands athwart one's biological sex in the case of transgendered folks and this is why we have this controversy because we have girls with peepees and boys with vaginas now.

Either gender is not sex or it is, but we can't continue to just conflate the two when it serves our purposes to do so.

Second, pretty much every single comment on this thread thus far has ignored the issue of locker rooms. That's where the real controversy is and always has been. People who are against don't want already uncomfortable communal locker rooms and showers to suddenly become sex co-ed even if everyone in there claims they all have one gender.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join