It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February is Black History of Achievements Month. How Will You Honor or Celebrate It?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
To honor black history month I`m going to keep running tab on the number of murders in Chicago I`m hoping that they can beat their all time high score for number of murders for the month of februrary, an achievement worth noting.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Even positive racism is still racism.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I'll celebrate it the same way Morgan Freeman does. By being annoyed at it and wishing it didn't exist. Their history should be studied all 12 months, just like all other races.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
BLM!State approved domestic racist/terrorist organization.

If anyone here were honest with themselves, they would realize that all of the negative contributions FAR outweigh the positive. What the hell is there to celebrate?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
When they give us White History month to celebrate, I will start celebrating Black History month

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
When they give us White History month to celebrate, I will start celebrating Black History month

They will say all history is white history and ignore that it actually includes everyone. BHM is just for guilty white liberals to pat themselves on the back.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Let's see, after I work 60-70 hours, deal with all of the activities my five children need help with, not to include homework, the PTA, the Technology Advisory Council, pleasuring my wife, grocery shopping, dishes, laundry, helping out the folks, etc.

I've got so much time to celebrate black history....

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Black History Month was started by black scholar, Carter G. Woodson in 1926. The issue was that a lot of the contributions that blacks made were "white washed" back in the day.

While I think black history should be taught all the time, I do like the focus that the month serves. First, too many blacks simply do not get positive reinforcement of our successes and I think black history month can show all that we did accomplish even under the most dire of circumstances. Second, I also think too many whites as shown by some of the responses are also ignorant of these facts.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

I will celebrate it just like I celebrate White history month,what is the purpose,once again the liberal government and MSM,promoting racism

You mean the other 8 months of the school year?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: Kali74

Well since people like you are trying to erase the white European history, we have to protect it. It's obvious that is under assault. This is a majority white country. If you don't like it move to a country that's not majority-white.

I'm trying to erase my own history... LOL

Thing is, I'm not insecure and I learned how to share and I learned about fairness. I'm not afraid that having 28 days of learning how African Americans contributed to the greatness of this country is going to erase my heritage.

Why are you?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Let's see, after I work 60-70 hours, deal with all of the activities my five children need help with, not to include homework, the PTA, the Technology Advisory Council, pleasuring my wife, grocery shopping, dishes, laundry, helping out the folks, etc.

I've got so much time to celebrate black history....

I've just recently moved to a new area of the state I haven't lived in before. Why not celebrate the history of African Americans by leaning about their local contributions? Such as with what the OP is doing by going to a local museum, surely won't take much more time than posting on ATS.
edit on 7-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ummm, it's February?

I am sure I will pick up dribs and drabs of it all over this month, but like most things, including my own birthday, I am not in the habit of going out of my way for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'll reflect on the accomplishments and give a shout-out to some of the prominent blacks that understand the past is behind us and have been able to successfully move on in a country that is color blind and doesn't see race with everything. People like:

Ben Carson
Ebony Williams
Curtis Jackson (50 Cent)
Colin Powell
LL Cool J
Condi Rice
Herman Cain
Stacey Dash
Martin Luther King III
Alan Keyes
Larry Elder
J.C. Watts
Karl Malone
Clarence Thomas
Lynn Swann
Niger Innis

Thank you to these ladies and gentlemen. If I could add everyone from my list I would but I don't have enough time. Other than that, I'll go on like I do every month where these people will still be just as appreciated then as they are now.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I think Black History month is still needed, maybe more than ever because too many people are on the national stage whom, in the past, have been very vocal about how America is all about white, European culture and that we need to do everything to we can to protect it. Most of text book and curriculum leaves non whites and women out for the most part. The only way I can see justifying getting rid of Black History month is if the history text books change and curriculum changes.

But I'll wait til Frederick Douglas weighs in to decide for sure.

Hmm, I don't remember it like that down here in the deep South in the 80's and 90's, and especially not now. Where are you from?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I have a cabbage patch kids cake pan and I am going to bake a chocolate cake in it.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: Kali74

Well since people like you are trying to erase the white European history, we have to protect it. It's obvious that is under assault. This is a majority white country. If you don't like it move to a country that's not majority-white.

Oddly enough, there aren't many of those.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I will not honor or celebrate it until we have an official White History month.

I'm all about equality.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I think Black History month is still needed, maybe more than ever because too many people are on the national stage whom, in the past, have been very vocal about how America is all about white, European culture and that we need to do everything to we can to protect it. Most of text book and curriculum leaves non whites and women out for the most part. The only way I can see justifying getting rid of Black History month is if the history text books change and curriculum changes.

But I'll wait til Frederick Douglas weighs in to decide for sure.

I think you are a few years older than me, so our experiences are different. I was born in 1971. Racism was a settled issue, by then. I was born into a world that had rejected racism and was focused on progress, equality (race & sex), and was even comfortable favoring women and minorities in the law to try to make up for inequality.

I am so okay with black history month, but I am unequipped to appreciate the plight of people who were born just a few years before me and see things so differently. My public school education included so much truth about U.S. history that yours probably didn't. We were making a lot of progress until the issue of 'racism' was degraded for political expediency, eight years ago, by Democrats...one of the reasons I left the party.

I feel like my generation did 'civil rights causes' the best, so far. Not perfect, but better than your time and better than now.

I don't think things are how you remember them when you were in school. And my children were/are exposed to more history celebrating black people than I suspect you were.

edit on 7-2-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I wonder if they are going to include ALL Black historic moments and not just hand picked ones that either make them out to be victims or show them to be the inventors of everything [that's what it feels like to me].

I am talking about their own kind betraying their brothers and sisters for money during slavery times. Going out and collecting Slaves in the most horrendous ways. [The whites didn't do that part of it, they just waited at the shores for the bastards to come back with those poor souls]. Instead of fighting the slave traders, their own people made money without any care for women or children. Nobody ever mentions these greedy feckers. Teach that during Black history month.

Why do Black people have to distance themselves more than anyone else on the globe?
There is no Asian history month. Why? Because they don't need to have one. They have just history, like everyone else.

There is no need for special Black groups, classes, Universities [yes, there are Black Universities, I only learned about them the other day].
I want Black people to stop having a chip on their shoulder and use the past as an excuse for special treatment.
In my mind they are capable humans just like everyone else.

Anyone who thinks Black people need special treatment and affirmative action are people who obviously have no faith in Black people's abilities. Well I have faith, because I know some lovely, intelligent, funny, educated and in high position Black people who are just people, very rarely does the skin colour come up in conversation.

When I as a woman, see women getting special treatment [like there has to be one woman on every BBC program], I am livid about that. Women are quite capable without the BBC shoving us into every panel show around. I will live through programs with just males on it. I am embarrassed and get the feeling without such a grand gesture we would not make it. I find it frankly patronising.

And that is why I don't like the whole idea of a Black history month.

Come on decent Black people, do you really need this? A whole month worth of force fed history? You can do better than that, I think. Instead of wallowing in the past, there is a whole future where you can show the world what you are made of.

Actions speak louder than a month of words.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So to practice what everyone keeps bleating about--integration, which is, of course, a good thing--nothing but, we're going to emphasize differences in skin tone?

Huh... I've always found that a bit odd, somehow.

But, hey, if makes people happy, rock on. I'll just go on treating every month as History Month/Achievement Month...whatever it is the cool kids are calling it these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join