It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preschool conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Homeschooling isn't such a bad idea, but it is not as simple as having textbooks. You have submit a curriculum to the State, and they have every right to come to your home and inspect your teaching practices.

There's also such thing as unschooling, by the way

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
quote:" Homeschooling isn't such a bad idea, but it is not as simple as having textbooks. You have submit a curriculum to the State, and they have every right to come to your home and inspect your teaching practices. "

correct me if im wrong but
in the state of Texas Homeschooling is completely deregulated
theres virtually no inspections
plus im led to believe that you dont even have correspondance either

so basically i can teach my kid science as the backbone of their studys
unlike in public schools which focus mostly on sports

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
My children went to "Mother's day out" on T/TH during their 2 and 3 year old school years. Not academic, but they loved the interaction and it was from 9-1. Hardly a chance for brainwashing. It did give them time to learn to interact and play with others.

This year, during their 4/5 year old year(they just turned 5 a week ago) I sent them to Montessori preschool. They are reading, writing, spelling, and doing VERY simple math. The focus is on accepting others and learning at their own pace. They have also learned about many other cultures and celebrate ALL the religious holidays(Jewish high holy days, Rhamadon(sp) Christmas, ect
No religion/culture is excluded. There are kids from all races, religions, backgrounds.

They will enter Kindergarten with a step up on the others. They have already pretty much completed what kindergarten will teach.

Homeschooling is great in theory, but it also shelters kids to the point of not learning essential life lessons. I do believe kids can get a very good ACADEMIC education from parents, but parents cannot teach what other kids can.

My beef with homeschooling is not the academic impact, but the social. It deprives kids of learning to deal with how to say no and make good choices ON THEIR OWN. How to spot and recognize those that are bad influences. How to steer clear of such people. If mommy and daddy do that for them until they are 18, they are at a distinct disadvantage when they leave the nest

Oh, and my daughter is a pistol. I don't think anyone will brainwash her. Or even control her. She cracks me up. My son is the mirror image of her. Easy going and quite stuck in his ways, just quietly.

If you are an active parent, you can overcome whatever shortcomings you see the schools having. The problem isn't with schools of any kinds, but the parents.

<< 1   >>

join