It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the 1st Time Lady Liberty Depicted as a Woman of Color

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
it doesn`t matter what they put on gold coins because most people will never see or own a gold coin,so it won`t matter to most people.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
She looks Pissed and somewhat maniacal or is it just me?

She looks a lot like Michelle Obama, so it's not just you.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

The Roman were white.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Michelle looks pissed and maniacal to you?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yes.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
LOL @ the PC crowd... always demanding FICTIONAL depictions and versions of the truth.

What next, George Washington depicted as a black, Muslim, female, pansexual, vegan feminist? (oh god, don't let me encourage them...)
edit on 13-1-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
She doesn't look like a Roman goddess to me. Her hair is braided and in a bun. She is Afro-American. The only roman connection i see is her gown. She looks regal. Beautiful coin. I'll never see one. Collector editions only.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Or maybe they'll demand that Jesus be depicted as white! *Gasp* Oh wait. That's the Christian Right.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think some people may be outraged about this because there may be a political agenda behind it.

I too think that this was done because of an agenda, rather than being done because of liberty and the history of the US

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Couldn't they do a multi coin series, one for each ethnicity? Maybe with a unity coin of all the ladies together on the last one?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

From the OP:

Future depictions of Lady Liberty, according to the Mint, will also feature designs to represent Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Indian Americans, and others "to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States."

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux
a reply to: lostbook

Beautiful coin, but isn't Lady Liberty that giant french chick in New York?

She can't be. She doesn't have a bush in her armpit.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

From the OP:

Future depictions of Lady Liberty, according to the Mint, will also feature designs to represent Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Indian Americans, and others "to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States."

My powers of observation could use a tune-up.....
Thanks

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: The GUT
She looks Pissed and somewhat maniacal or is it just me?

She looks a lot like Michelle Obama, so it's not just you.

I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem with a black Lady Liberty, except that she looks suspiciously like Michelle with cornrows.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Another for the collectors coffers, still I find interesting that Americas black women I live in the south do not look like that.

But then again the coin looks more like a version of Queen Sheba.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

This will sure guarantee we aren't a racist country

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
She doesn't look black, more like gold....and that Europid nose just doesn't work for me.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I choose Beyoncé, for what it's worth. (Template by GraphicRiver, Portrait by Tony Duran, Design by me.)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
?? Woman of color ??

youse gotta be profiling or else stereotyping...

I guess in a way, the profiles features are suggestive of an African...I can't say African-American because that would be pigeon-holing ~~ which is a no-no

the profile then would have (more correctly) the features of a mixed race person... which we see plenty of in the streets and on the thoroughfares of metro areas including the present White House

I am all for keeping up with progress...but the profile design looks suggestive of the now Older Classic "ROOTS" TV movie with lots of 'Blacks' far removed from the African Slave traits of the late 1700s-1860s civil-war era.... a poignant and thoughtful docudrama...

but the founders had the idea to have minted coins with the profiles of the classic ancestory of Democracy ~
i.e.: Greeks in togas
then in another classic institution of Rule-of-Law... the Romans were honored on USA coins and Statues

Greek & Roman named rockets/missiles/spacecraft have been the mainstay for generations of developed high tech science & warfare delivery systems

?? I wonder what is the metal making up the coin... is it Bronze or a similar alloy ??

all-in-all... the coin in relief, honoring no body in particular is utterly Politically-Correct
I don't expect to ever own one

OK, its' a gold $100 coin, minted @ West Point Mint...
the USA is finally up to par with the Canadians with a .9999 pure (4 nines) where they used to be only .999 (3 nines) pure
same with Silver

designed to be one-of-several issues of 'commerative' as opposed to circulation usage...
I doubt the coins will be demanded as ransom payment...the demand will still be for gold bars, no treasury bonds or pallets of $100 bills

reference info: Treasury and @usmint have unveiled the designs for the 2017 American Liberty Gold Coin. Details here:

go.usa.gov... #USMint225

www.imdb.com...

edit on th31148435928513012017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

From the OP:

Oh it makes sense it's from the
Asian American
Hispanic American
Indian American
African American
we all can't just be normal American, special license plate wielding people.
*Sigh*
Will it ever end?

When your are all done virtue signaling let me know.
I'll be in the corner slowly sipping Clorox.

Side note:
Didn't they already do this with the twenty dollar bill?
And why have I yet to see it?

Side side note:
No this doesn't make me racist. It makes me annoyed that we actually waste time and resources on crap like this as a nation. Think we got bigger things to worry about than having ethnically diverse coins...
edit on 13-1-2017 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join