It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn’t Diverse, It Won’t Be Eligible for a BAFTA Award

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

In an incredibly bold move, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts announced last week that, beginning in 2019, works that do not demonstrate inclusivity in their production practices will no longer be eligible for the Outstanding British Film or Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director, or Producer awards at the annual BAFTAs, often considered the U.K. equivalent of the Oscars.* Eligible projects must showcase this in two of the following ways, as the BBC reported: On-screen characters and themes, senior roles and crew, industry training and career progression, and audience access and appeal to underrepresented audiences. BAFTA will also remove the requirement that newly admitted voters be recommended by two existing members.

Back in 2014, the British Film Institute established similar standards for projects seeking National Lottery funding in an effort to improve representation within the filmmaking industry. BAFTA's decision is particularly striking, however, when you hold it up against its American counterpart, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, which, of course, faced an embarrassing PR backlash with the #OscarsSoWhite campaign this year. Not long after the Oscar nominations revealed, for the second year in a row, a slate of all-white acting nominees, the academy announced that it was changing its membership rules in an effort to address the issue. This included shortening members’ voting statuses to 10 years (able to reactivated so long as they remain active within the industry) and adding three more governors' seats filled by people from underrepresented groups.

www.slate.com...

So UK members what's you opinion on this? This is another example of Political Correctness gone too far. Now before I am accused of being a white supremacist, I am actually a non white American and I believe we shouldn't have special treatment and be treated like ordinary people.

I find it sad that movie awards is now about who has the most non whites.

Personally, I think movies should be about who is the most talented, regardless of color.

edit on 12/21/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Fun times ahead when awards are based on political reasons, and not actual merit.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I'd love to see them try to pull that off in non white nations like Africa. Not gonna happen.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Who makes films just to win awards these days?

Oh wait...

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Kinda seems like a scam to get movie studio money to pay for propaganda films.

Award ceremony folks have an agenda.. make rules to earn award.. writers and directors must follow to be eligible... Film written to adhere to the rules, movies get made... Awards ceremony agenda gets pushed to the masses.

Or just a publicity thing. Ive never heard of bafta before this.
edit on 21-12-2016 by PlasticWizard because: More

edit on 21-12-2016 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
What's BAFTA and why should I care?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Will stick with hong kong and taiwan movies no pc rubbish in them .

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
What's BAFTA and why should I care?

It says what BAFTA is in the first line of the OP.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Eligible projects must showcase this in two of the following ways, as the BBC reported: On-screen characters and themes, senior roles and crew, industry training and career progression, and audience access and appeal to underrepresented audiences.

That seems reasonable.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

I'm not surprised at all to be honest and this has nothing to do with being British or anything. We're reaching the era of history where being white means you're bad. Being someone who is white will get you seen a horrible disgusting vile person who coursed all the worlds harm. I wish and this is from my heart, that people would get off this train of thinking, so you had slave ancestors well I didn't have any freaking slaves, my parents and grand parents didn't have slaves so we had nothing to do with your ancestors problems and neither did most modern white people who aren't rolling in cash. The funniest fact is that for decades non-white people have been demanding to be treated equal and not attacked on the base of their skin colour and yet now that's there go to thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

obvious quesations spring to mind :

how would one introduce " diversity " to a epic biopic of robert falcon scotts doomed last polar expedition

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Or you know, they could not pander with useless token characters, and give people in the industry jobs based on merit.

What a strange concept that is in the modern world

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
"Diverse" in the land of fruits and nuts (Read hot bed of liberal biased lunacy(Hollywood, BBC, MSM et al)) means complete over representation of certain approved demographics, and massive under representation and denigration of one in particular.
edit on 21-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
By filling it with lies and positive race reinforcement stereotypes like has been happening for some years now.
a reply to: ignorant_ape

edit on 21-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
When did the definition of diversity become so un-diverse. Basically all they want is less white people in movies. Or none at all even.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
When did the definition of diversity become so un-diverse. Basically all they want is less white people in movies. Or none at all even.

Think of it in terms of The Great Race Replacement Movement, it all makes sense then.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

unfortunatly you are correct - i wish you were not - but facts is facts

i watch a miniscule amount of TV content - and over the years - its been apparent that characters are added to piriod peices for no reason other than they are black // female - black female lesvians get an additional bafta gold star i think

one wonders what twaddle would emerge if someone attempted a 2017 remake of " zulu " - it would be hilarious to watch just to see they " diversify that "

ETA :

i should not msake light of what was a massive blow to the community and industry - but i recently attended the event to commenerate the barnsley pit explosions

a tragedy that happened 150 years ago - and saw the latgest death toll in any UK mining incident - it was a massive blow to a comunity and the industry

but today - some cockwomble would make a film about it with a cast of female asian lesbians [ no one else ] just < and that would be it - oh wait - one male white bloke would have to be the " villian "

i know i should not post this - but its the way things are going

further edit -

the cast would of course circumvent the law agaist women being employed underground by being transgendered and " identifying as men "

sometimes i think i should have been a writer

edit on 21-12-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I suppose a diverse remake of Zulu would take the shape of a mass of red coated white soldiers with rifles charging in human waves at a group of black welsh warriors defending a mission station with nothing more than spears, while singing Men of Harlech gospel style.
a reply to: ignorant_ape

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

" men of harlech " - just WTF - they cannot sing that - it re-inforces the " patriachy "

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

" men of harlech " - just WTF - they cannot sing that - it re-inforces the " patriachy "

Good catch! Make it "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

<<   2  3 >>

join