It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Families of Orlando Victims Sue Google, Facebook and Twitter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's a new story about some people suing Facebook and Twitter and Google.

The families of victims of the Orlando shooting are going after the social media giants for providing ISIS with material support !!

Looks like the fact that social media gave accounts to "terrorists" is a problem.

Families of Orlando Victims Sue Google, Facebook and Twitter for Giving ISIS 'Material Support'

Six months after a gunman walked into Orlando’s Pulse nightclub and opened fire, families representing three of his victims have sued the world’s biggest social media sites, accusing them of providing ISIS with “material support.”

According to the lawsuit, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (which is owned by Google) all “provided the terrorist group ISIS with accounts they use to spread extremist propaganda, raise funds, and attract new recruits.”

Witnesses say Orlando gunman Omar Mateen declared his allegiance to the Islamic State during the shooting. Ultimately, he was found not be a member of the group, but the attorney who filed the lawsuit says the social networks are still to blame for making the “explosive growth” of ISIS possible.

edit on Dec-20-2016 by xuenchen because: socializedmedia

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I feel very bad they lost their loved ones in this terrible tragedy but a frivolous lawsuit like this will not likely be won.

I mean why not sue Al Gore for inventing the internet while you are at it since without that you would not have Google, Facebook or Twitter.

edit on 20-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It does boggle the mind to see how these companies can continue to profit off their products while having no responsibility to remove the content from these types of groups and hate / bully materials too.

If someone hacked into comcast and started a pirate network spreading hate, you sure know that would be handled.

It's the double edge sword of having your product available for all, being that it's a free one at that.

Banks have to follow rules that relate somewhat to this as well.

It's not about suing for money, it's about suing for some responsibility for their actions and to further continue that accountability and service.

If a bank lets someone in Syria open an account that has ties to terrorist or even an account in someone else's name they'd need to handle that.

It almost gets into the guilty by association thing if they are aware that it happens and continues to let it happen without efforts to curb it's action or police it's accounts.
edit on 20-12-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Publishing anything, even the thoughts of others comes with responsibility. How many of us would tolerate mass murderers planning mass murders on a site we were responsible for?
edit on 12/20/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Speaking of frivolous lawsuits...Twitter might be complicit in this suit where one Twitter user accuses another of inducing his seizure as a result of being sent an optical illusion GIF.

Newsweek’s Kurt Eichenwald Claims Twitter Troll Gave Him Seizure, Taking Social Media Hiatus

www.mediaite.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That's like ATS being sued for Jared Loughner.
Unless people report these accounts Twitter and Facebook can do nothing about them.

How people expect them to moderate billions of people is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
And on this site you are not even supposed to mention a certain #foodgate, yet Isis has their own personal social media mouthpiece brought to the people by Google.

The entire liberal world has gone mad.

Maybe it was a product of "vacation violence"?
There you go barry, fixed it for ya.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This isn't a good idea.

It's just going to lead to censorship.

It would be different if these companies had tried to shut down Islamic extremist propaganda from the beginning, but for some reason they wouldn't. Probably because it offended so many of their tech support staff.

Now, I say let the hate flow. It is important to know your enemy.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Censorship is censorship, it gets hairy trying to ban one kind of thought while leaving another untouched.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Twitter/Facebook will either

1) Stall the court dates or stall the legal proceedings due to technicality and more BS to the point where the victims cannot afford to keep the case going.

2) Settle out of court and pay them off with a check of $500,000 or more so they can shut up about it.

3) Court case will get thrown out before the victims ever see a judge because there are no legal grounds to.

My personal opinion, someone waited WAAAAY too long to get this idea started, I think someone told the victims to sue and this was a way of trying to promote censorship like everyone else said.

edit on 20-12-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

And I hate the Facebook, Google and Twitter corps.

This sounds to me like liberals following the FAKE NEWS logic of their masters.
edit on 20-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
they should sue Allah instead... they'll have a better chance.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And I hate the Facebook, Google and Twitter corps.

This sounds to me like liberals following the FAKE NEWS logic of their masters.

dont forget Obama and BLM and Trump, because they are somehow related to this OP.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I actually don't support the frivolous lawsuits they are bringing, but maybe it will keep these companies/clowns busy enough to stop trying to censor the news for the Globalists.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Looks like victim families got punished for the future.
Many think that people do bad things because of past problems, where in fact past problems could be your punishment for the bad things you do in future. Time is relative

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I know if I started a YouTube channel advocating violence it would be found and taken down swiftly. There is plenty of censorship on all of those platforms, why terrorist groups apparently aren't is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Hey.

I had a facebook account and everytime I'd place a story about gov. crap--->
my posting would immediately get gone...no sign of links, no opinion pieces left to let my readers rip me a new one with insane prejudice about how wrong I am...

One minute there, the next...poof, like it never even happened.

How come when I share non-com crap it gets deleted, but these ISIS followers seem to have quite the network don't they?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The FBI found no evidence that this was a homosexual retaliation based on the rumors that flew, but seemingly.. they also found no evidence he was affiliated with ISIS either.

According to the #1 Third Party Fact Verifier

One of the many theories bruited around in the wake of the June 2016 mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, was that the event might have been something more than a random killing or an act of Islamic-inspired terrorism. Although the shooter, Omar Mateen, claimed before his death that he carried out the shooting in allegiance to ISIS as a message for the U.S. to halt the bombing in Iraq and Syria, many people theorized that Mateen was himself gay and might have been acting out of some combination of self-loathing and a hatred of homosexuals. Such rumors were backed up by claims that Mateen had used gay dating sites and apps, was a regular customer of the Pulse gay nightclub prior to the shooting, and had gay lovers.

However, FBI investigators say they have not yet found evidence that any of that is true (nor have they found any direct links between Mateen and members of Islamic State).

Link

I can't begin to fathom their loss... but what exactly are they basing the ISIS claim on if the FBI wasn't even able to find any links to ISIS?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

Hi.
Are you familiar with what the msm reported on national tv?

Isis claims responsibilty

ISIS claims responsibility for Orlando mass shooting

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I feel very bad they lost their loved ones in this terrible tragedy but a frivolous lawsuit like this will not likely be won.

I mean why not sue Al Gore for inventing the internet while you are at it since without that you would not have Google, Facebook or Twitter.

Probably because Al gore did not invent the internet......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join