It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic’ just made history with its new cover--9 year Old Transgender Activist

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Of course she doesn't.

She makes a lot of good points though, and obviously is well informed on the subject, and is a really awesome person.

The portion of the video where she talks about the mother was pretty interesting....

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Blaire is to the trans community what Milo Yiannopoulos is to the gay community. Both are rather narrow minded, ultra conservatives. They absolutely do NOT speak for everyone in the LGBTQ community.

Blaire is disingenuous when she implies that children at the age of 9 are undergoing medical procedures to transition. They are not, and the child in National Geographic is not.

Blaire is also not a healthcare professional, and she doesn't speak for most of them either.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

Of course she doesn't.

She makes a lot of good points though, and obviously is well informed on the subject, and is a really awesome person.

The portion of the video where she talks about the mother was pretty interesting....

Just want that to be clear.

I've heard more then once: "All transgenders should be like Blaire White, shut up and stop complaining".

Awareness of transgender is still in its infancy. Not everyone is a Blaire White.

White seems destined to be the new Milo Yiannopoulos to progressive champions of trans people—a genuine thorn in their side.

www.splicetoday.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Shock Minus the AWE ........Yawn ..

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I don't believe this is a 9 year old activist nearly as much as I believe this is a 9 year old child whose parents are activists and thrust him into a spotlight that he can not possibly understand the ramifications of. Good parenting there.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Good post, I agree.

What are your thoughts on children transitioning? I am personally against it.

What are your thoughts about disclosing your condition when dating? MTV pushes that trans people should NEVER have to disclose it under any circumstances, and I think it is highly dangerous, for the reasons you mentioned above. If a trans person fails to disclose ahead of time, it could lead to a horrible situation that could have been avoided.

Thanks!

I wish I'd have been brave enough to come out in my teenage years. Im ok with prescribing hormone blockers so as to delay puberty until the child is old enough to legally make the choice for themselves as a young adult.

I absolutely believe in disclosing my birth history before getting intimate with a new partner. That stems more from believing in honesty from the beginning with potential partners. It's a big part of my life so it merits a conversation I think. Ideally that person would like me for me and it would not bother them.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I don't believe this is a 9 year old activist nearly as much as I believe this is a 9 year old child whose parents are activists and thrust him into a spotlight that he can not possibly understand the ramifications of. Good parenting there.

Really?

How easily would you accept your son wanting to wear dresses?

Understanding transgender is a very difficult journey for parents.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Makes sense, thanks for the response. I respect that.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Really?

And I am sure putting their 9 year old on the cover of a magazine will help...

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of a kid being a spokesperson for something they don't understand.

But it's gonna help some kids out there so it's gotta be a good thing overall.

I never felt the urge to wear a dress at school but if I did there's no way I would have.
Kid's got balls.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Really?

And I am sure putting their 9 year old on the cover of a magazine will help...

Imagine you being transgender.

Imagine you at 4/5 or younger realizing something just isn't right.

Imagine you at this young age making your parents understand enough to search for experts to help you ... and them in this journey.

These kids are mature beyond their years. They have to be.

There's actually many young transgender activists now. Some younger then 9.

Awareness is required.

Activism is needed. These kids know it.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
I don't like the idea of a kid being a spokesperson for something they don't understand.

You think these kids don't understand?

No one tells them. They tell you.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

You honestly believe that there is no influence for both pro and against any "alternative" lifestyles?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

They are just dumb kids.
They're dumb trans kids helping other dumb trans kids which is important.

But they're still dumb kids.

I'm 34 and would be unqualified and overwhelmed to be a spokesperson for straight white men (I'm accepting offers still).
I would have been even worse when I was a dumb kid.

Ghandi and MLK would have been useless at 9. Is that really the pressure you want to put on a child who is already much more likely to top themselves?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

You think these kids don't understand?

No one tells them. They tell you.

I think the heap of trans people killing themselves die looking for an answer and not understanding. I don't understand my straightness and don't think I ever will (obviously the consequences are massively different).

Being trans sucks, a 9 yr old has no idea.
And even if they did, they can't express it clearly.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I guess I have a problem with holding this 9 year old up like she is very brave. At nine a child doesn't know that wearing this on your shirt sleeve isn't brave, it is exploitative.

She is being used by adults to forward a cause that the adults perceive there is Trans-hate around every corner, when there isn't. At 9 she has no idea of the ramifications that are in store for her. I just hope the parents are allowing her to have the proper mental help, as this is very confusing. This isn't bed wetting or getting into a fight at school, it is very serious.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

You honestly believe that there is no influence for both pro and against any "alternative" lifestyles?

LGBT parents want for their kids, same as straight parents.

LGBT parents become just as distressed, if not more so because of there own experience, when a child expresses gender or sexual difference from "norm".

So, NO! I don't think parents encourage their child to take on a "difference" that's unacceptable by many in society.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Please understand that I didn't say parents. The media, music industry and even news is slanted. I believe that the parents would have the best interests of the child in mind. But this case seems fishy.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

If I wore a dress at school I would have been crucified. Parents could not have convinced me either.
I'm of the old school thought that if you're in the miscellaneous category, hide it until you are out of school or get beaten.

The kid is definitely brave.

And kids like that will make it easier to throw away dinosaur thinking like mine.

But I still think it's too much pressure to put on a kid.
Leave activism for the adults.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Please understand that I didn't say parents. The media, music industry and even news is slanted. I believe that the parents would have the best interests of the child in mind. But this case seems fishy.

How much media do you have to consume before you start blowing dudes?
I consume a lot and it hasn't happened yet.

Are there certain channels I should avoid?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join