It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there other references to "Ligers"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
In "Napolean Dynamite" Napolean draws a "liger", he calls it "half lion, half tiger - bread for their powers. Is this just something the writers made up, or are there references to these creatures in lore?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here you go, they are quite real:

Ligers/Tigons

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
A Liger is where a male Lion is mated with a female tiger. Not that big a deal.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A simple hybrid, like the mule (horse and donkey) and the whoodle (whale and poodle). Usually they are themselves infertile.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
A simple hybrid, like the mule (horse and donkey) and the whoodle (whale and poodle).

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of one of them there whoodles, would you? I'd love to see it.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently Ligers grow larger than Lions or Tigers and Tigons are smaller than either Lions or Tigers. Something about a growth inhibiting gene.

[edit on 1/24/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

A simple hybrid, like the mule (horse and donkey) and the whoodle (whale and poodle). Usually they are themselves infertile.

The poodle better be the male of the 2!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
MaskedAvatar, you lied to me!!! A whoodle is a dog... I have no idea why I felt compelled to look that up. I guess I was trying to 'deny ignorance'

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well strike me down in a fountain of exploding sperm whale blubber.

I never knew that.

I was coining a ridiculous hybrid, little knowing that there was already a canine breed with a ridiculous name.

BTW just how did they get that dog's ancestor to mate with the whale, anyway?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I believe they used a liberal application of kibbles. Kibbles and, oh yes, here it is, kibbles and bits.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
You might wanna see if there's a website for the Salt Lake City Zoo, and see if there's any reference to a Liger who used to live there named Shasta. As a wee lad, I used to go up and see her about once a month, but I understand she died a few years back. If they have a website, I can't imagine them NOT bragging about having such a creature...even if it was once upon a time.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Do they have large talons?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor

A Liger

A Tigon

No talons.

I saw a Liger on tv, it was a big creature. I think they said their the biggest cats in the world.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I've actually seen a Liger.... pretty cool. I thought it was a genetic whoops too when I first saw it (I was like 12 years old).

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard

The poodle better be the male of the 2!!!

OMG!! Took me two seconds to realise what you just wrote, and this nasty image of exploded poodle just came to mind!!

But on the other hand, a "phaale"?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode

Originally posted by nataylor

No talons.

its a joke dude...in Napoleon Dynomite he says hes drawing a liger, then when the chickens come in he goes "Do they have large talons"

It was a good movie but theres too many people making a big deal out of it

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
ON www.cnn.com this morning there was an article about a 900 lb liger. It was really interesting as I've never heard of it before Napolean Dynamite either.. Anyway check out cnn.com, if you don't see it do a search for liger and I imagine it will come up.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

BTW just how did they get that dog's ancestor to mate with the whale, anyway?

Lots of lubricant, or a strap on...depending on which was the male, I'd imagine...

(kidding).

Seriously, as most said, it's (the Liger) an actual existing hybrid...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i didnt even know of these wow wow I learn something everyday on ATS actually more like 5-10 things a day har har

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Deb: What are you drawing?
Napoleon Dynamite: A liger.
Deb: What is a liger?
Napoleon Dynamite: It's prety much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed - bred for its skills in magic.

Think that should answer aany further Liger questions....

<<   2 >>

join