It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Th' sound to vanish from English language because of multiculturalism.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You absolutely nailed it with this post.

There are few destroyers of good taste and proper comportment, not to mention good grammar and diction, as effective as the modern British lout. I am constantly surrounded by such dross, and find it about as intellectually stimulating as watching turd get flushed down a toilet pan.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

LOL.. I know it!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I'd probably be saying Sit all day long lol!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: awareness10

Hey there are also speach impediment's, I can not name the number of time's my family have burst out laughing when all I said was I am just going to Sit Down, you see I have a lisp, now a lisp make's my 'S' sound like a very mild 'Sh'.
Children though are the best and it is just cute on a child but not an adult, Police Ocifer, Sgabetti etc.

Speech impediments are different than the idea that because people of a different linguistic background move into your neck of the woods and start speaking your language with their accent, you are going to mass adopt their accent and annihilate entire sounds from your language.

For example, what they're saying is that the Chinese are going to mass immigrate to the US, and because of the way their native tongue handles speech and linguistic sounds, we will soon adopt their accented manner of speaking English. Thus, everyone will soon be singing "Deck the Halls" like this:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh dear I have tear's streaming from my eye's, we can be rather cruel as a species when it come's to poking fun at one another, that it one very funny clip.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Oh dear I have tear's streaming from my eye's, we can be rather cruel as a species when it come's to poking fun at one another, that it one very funny clip.

Oh, if you think that one clip is funny, you should see the whole movie.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
What a load of bs.. I have a London accent and pronounce the th.. I've never heard anyone English say vis or dis for this for example.

You never heard of dis dere Purple Aki cha? (I'm from Lancashire, it's pretty common around here, especially around Merseyside way).

My grandparents had very thick Cumbrian accents and sometimes said vis, it's a very olde English/Welsh/Scottish pronounciaition though and was more a language in and of itself - I remember counting sheep was yan, tan, tethera, pethera (one, two, three, many).

/pedantic mode

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

I've often pronounced words with a v rather than a th since i was young. I've been on stage and pronounced it this way. nobody in the audience noticed as the sound isvery similar no matter the distance from the speaker. That and Dat would also be unrecognizable in translation.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Nah...I don't fink vat is going to happen. Vere are plenty of foreign accents vat already sound like dis. I just hope vat does not translate into ve written language, because writing like vis is annoying me to no end. Also, it looks ugly.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Don't matta as long as you always say pleez 'n fank you.

Mannaz cost nuffin.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
as seen only on ats and reddit! (breitbart comment sections coming soon)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

It's not multiculturalism's fault if a language evolves. Chaucer would be shaking his head the way you Brits pronounce the English language.

Language evolves. Period. It always has and it always will. Language is fluid. You can venture to different areas within the US and hear how language is used differently. Because it evolves with usage.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: Misterlondon
What a load of bs.. I have a London accent and pronounce the th.. I've never heard anyone English say vis or dis for this for example.

You never heard of dis dere Purple Aki cha? (I'm from Lancashire, it's pretty common around here, especially around Merseyside way).

My grandparents had very thick Cumbrian accents and sometimes said vis, it's a very olde English/Welsh/Scottish pronounciaition though and was more a language in and of itself - I remember counting sheep was yan, tan, tethera, pethera (one, two, three, many).

/pedantic mode

Did your biceps pass the Aki challenge?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What, me fail English?! Vats unpossible!!
-Ralph Wiggum, prophet

Yeah, sure, 'Th' will disappear! And Ebonics is real too! As long as there is an English actor or Australian news anchor, I doubt that 'th' will ever go away. See, there have been studies and those particular accents are found to be the most pleasant ones. So, like how Shakespeare's English has never really gone away, vus the same with current English. Yeah, there will be things people glom onto but once the particle of speech are there it takes an act of gawd to remove them. Multiculturalism is not an act of gawd. Even the French cannot keep out English and they have passed laws.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Jesus.

These days I'm feeling happy I have less then half of my life remaining...so I wont have to live through the future that is looming on the horizon.

Yes and sadly it all happened so fast from our early years. Today at work I realized that I was hearing more Spanish during the day than English......and its not even real Spanish LOL.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
dp
edit on 29-9-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 29-9-2016 by ishum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: awareness10

Hey there are also speach impediment's, I can not name the number of time's my family have burst out laughing when all I said was I am just going to Sit Down, you see I have a lisp, now a lisp make's my 'S' sound like a very mild 'Sh'.
Children though are the best and it is just cute on a child but not an adult, Police Ocifer, Sgabetti etc.

Speech impediments are different than the idea that because people of a different linguistic background move into your neck of the woods and start speaking your language with their accent, you are going to mass adopt their accent and annihilate entire sounds from your language.

For example, what they're saying is that the Chinese are going to mass immigrate to the US, and because of the way their native tongue handles speech and linguistic sounds, we will soon adopt their accented manner of speaking English. Thus, everyone will soon be singing "Deck the Halls" like this:

Yeah, wassup wit dat?

Imagine what will happen to french!!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I cannot vait for zat day.

In German the English fricatives sound like a lisp.

German parents were frantic to stop their toddlers sucking their thumbs, so that they would say "das" instead of "dath".

Then they move to a former British colony and you have to learn English, where the teachers beat the "lisp" right back into you.

Go figure.

edit on 29-9-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Its not 'vats' its 'dats'.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join