It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is NOT a Hero - Charisma is NOT a Reason to Cheer Death

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There's an overwhelming amount of support for the death squads that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has recently launched with the intent of ridding his country of a very serious drug problem. It's not my country or culture so I must plead some ignorance, but how can anyone support this? I must point out that the article does seem to have anti bias towards Duterte, but with good reason imo.

The daughter of one of Britain's most colourful aristocrats is the latest casualty of anti-drug death squads killing in the name of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

Police say Aurora Moynihan was shot five times in the chest before being dumped on a street corner in Manila.

Moynihan had reportedly been on a police watch list since 2013, when she was arrested on a minor possession charge involving the drug ice, known as shabu in the Philippines.

Her body was found in a gutter on the corner of Temple and Giraffe streets in Quezon City, Manila in the early hours of September 10.

Sure she may be guilty by association but she's not cartel leader which is what most people seem to think that are the targets. All she had were alleged links to imports, nothing is proven, no due justice, they are murdering children too.

More than 3000 people, including several young children, have been killed since Duterte issued the decree a month before he took office on June 30.

Source:

m.nzherald.co.nz...

His country certainly has a problem but he is not handling it like a sensible human being, his approach is rather gruesome and he's nothing more than a cold blooded killer just as guilty as the Western leaders he criticizes. I see people cheering him on because he gave Brussels a big ole middle finger.

A lot of dictators hold anti west sentiment, does this mean we should cheer on their atrocities?

Come on folks, do you really want to justify these killings?

Or are we just going to brush it off as collateral damage?

Imagine if European or North American leaders took this approach, I guarantee that each and everyone of us would lose at least one loved one who was not a cartel leader.

I do not support this tyrant.

edit on 22-9-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: Edited title.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

I think the main reason he receives local support, is that the cartels had purchased so much police protection at one point, that even picking up street dealers and soldiers of those cartels, was becoming impossible for the loyal officers in the country.

The law had been bought out from under the government and its police force, and even the police force had been purchased. It seems that between a rock and a hard place, the leader of the Philippines elected to refuse to accept the broken state of things, and thought to himself "If I cannot remove these cartels by way of the police, because they have bought the police, and if I cannot remove them by way of the courts, because they own the courts, then I shall remove them by Death, because The Reaper, at least, cannot be bought nearly as easily".

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The world is not black and white.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

No one is saying it is... So, included in the OP is info pointing towards innocents and children being caught in this big bloody mess and the only thing you can say is the world is not black and white? like that some how justifies his actions?!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I've been living in the Philippines for the last couple years.

There are no "roving death squads." And most of the murders are higher ups in the drug world killing lower people who get caught or flipped and willing to testify.

Most of the news I'm seeing in the MSM from the USA is absolute lies.

The people here are VERY happy with Deterte. He has over 90% approval.

He's stopped bullet planting extortion scheme that was getting foreigners and oversees Philippine workers.

Several HUNDRED THOUSAND drug runners and users are now in jail.

The crime rate has plummeted.

He's not only taking out pushers, but the police, elected officials and others who protected them.

Don't believe the MSM hype. Ask the locals on here, or on any Philippine forum.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Voyaging

Its not up to us to justify anything. It's none of our damn business.

If the people of Philippines like the guy and everything that he's doing, then it does not matter what we think. If he's killing criminals, don't matter their age, I have no problem with that

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hi. This was brought up yesterday with some ATS members supporting him. schuyler's post was very interesting and made me re-examine my own feelings on the issue.

Philippines President Says F-U to the EU

ETA: Just noticed you contributed to that thread.

edit on 22-9-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You're forgetting that the even more innocents were being killed when the drug lords were in control and the government kept letting them go. You're ignoring all the massacres that have happened and still would be if this were not going on.

It's a war, innocents get caught in the middle of a war. It's a war that started because too many innocents were getting killed by these people. The people back Duterte, which means they must believe that, while yes innocents are getting killed, it's fewer than before and in the minds of the people things are getting better.

You all seem to forget that this is in response to something much much worse.

Again the world is not black and white.

I've argued this situation many times, I don't have the stamina these days, so I will leave it at this. I'm sorry I'm becoming a few post per thread poster these days.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I've been living in the Philippines for the last couple years.

Don't believe the MSM hype. Ask the locals on here, or on any Philippine forum.

Most the people I know there who alerted me to research this tyrant were born and raised there and have family where I live and visit often, your couple years of living there doesn't change the fact that this is happening.

Sure crime rates are dropping, but at what cost?

It's not all media hype, media does hype it up but there's truth behind it.

I don't know where you are located but this certainly appears to be happening.

(according to the locals)

And yes many do support it, that is on them not me, it's their country. If they are okay with Hitleresque type dictatorship then that's their problem not mine. Everyone I've spoken to are against his practices.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'll be there in 3 days to see for myself but so far my fiance really supports him too. I'll be in cebu and tacloban.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Here's a post of mine in another thread.

My opinion

There are other posts of mine in that thread worth looking at if you wish.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There is an weird trend going on ATS.
People wishing for authoritarian leaders,cheering those who shoot first and ask questions later while in the same breath accusing others for wanting to take away their "freedoms".
This guy is a dictator in the making, one day he kills drug dealers and another day he will be labeling everyone a drug dealer who doesn't agree with his politics.
I bet we will soon see a Kim Young Un apparition thread soon disguised under the "antiglobalist" umbrella

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Well they could just let the drug dealers operate. That results in many more deaths from addiction plus crime and murder from turf wars.

If his reasons are true and he's after the cartels and not just making his power base more secure and justifying more security to crush any resistance... then one has to cut out the cancer. Remember the battle with Pablo Escobar? It was way more bloody.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Its not up to us to justify anything. It's none of our damn business.

If the people of Philippines like the guy and everything that he's doing, then it does not matter what we think. If he's killing criminals, don't matter their age, I have no problem with that

Have some regard for your fellow human beings, please.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The point is, I see no injustice.

While on the other hand, i see so many injustice happening in the west. What are we going to do about those?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Well they could just let the drug dealers operate. That results in many more deaths from addiction plus crime and murder from turf wars.

If his reasons are true and he's after the cartels and not just making his power base more secure and justifying more security to crush any resistance... then one has to cut out the cancer. Remember the battle with Pablo Escobar? It was way more bloody.

I think it's a good thing that he's addressing his country's drug problem as foreign interests are mostly behind it, but as previously mentioned his methods are barbaric. I know that extraordinary times deserve extraordinary measures but this is overkill.

He's a loose cannon and needs to be contained.

As mentioned in another thread, why doesn't he go after the child molesters and human traffickers first, that is a bigger problem and the victims of these crimes often turn to drugs.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

You make it sound like you are actually there investigating.

You are not, are you?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

From the OP source link:

More than 3000 people, including several young children, have been killed since Duterte issued the decree a month before he took office on June 30.

You're perfectly fine with children being victim to a murderous maniac?

Tells a lot about your character sir, please tell me you accidentally missed that part in the OP, otherwise if you still see no injustice I will refrain from saying what I really think about your belief system.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I think i will rather believe everything that I've heard from people living there, than what I read on mainstream media.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Both are second hand info.

Your call is as good/bad as anyone else. Living in a country with similar circumstances, I don't even trust those there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join