It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thonis-Heracleion: From Legend to Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I had always thought that it was Alexandria that were the gateway to Egypt, then i Read about Thonis-Heracleion,www.franckgoddio.org...

Thonis-Heracleion (the Egyptian and Greek names of the city) is a city lost between legend and reality. Before the foundation of Alexandria in 331 BC, the city knew glorious times as the obligatory port of entry to Egypt for all ships coming from the Greek world. It had also a religious importance because of the temple of Amun, which played an important role in rites associated with dynasty continuity. The city was founded probably around the 8th century BC, underwent diverse natural catastrophes, and finally sunk entirely into the depths of the Mediterranean in the 8th century AD.

Quite the find! haven't watched al the videos yet, but i still find it amazing,. especially because of the Old temples and artifacts they found submerged there. Huge "Tablets" with writing, statues, pottery. A real treasure trove for any archaeologist or wannabe thereof
I really wish that i could have been there, or at least be able to study some of the artifacts first hand
A really exiting find indeed. I personally believed that these cities were a lot older than said here.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
That's a really good find, also wish i could have been there to see the tablet's/treasure etc.
edit on 18-8-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: darkspace
old news, discovered 16 years ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Love stuff like this,good thread.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
old news, discovered 16 years ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks Marduk! i have been away from this website for some years, so i didn't know this was posted i 2013
however, this news was in one of my country's major newspapers for the first time today, and i have been bashed by the mods for resurrecting old threads before and told to make new posts about it instead (pre-2010)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Well then, you'll love this, www.google.co.uk...
Normally I find with Google you need to be very specific to find what you're looking for, I discovered this some years ago when trying to find a local dentist with the keyword "Oral", but in this case Google images absolutely nails it

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
double post sorry
edit on 18-8-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

LOL! i love how google Automatically translates Heracleion to into Atlantis
However i don't belive those two are even remotely connected. The site and artifacts found are way to young
seen most of the pictures on Goddio's website. Would love to see more footage, especially more recent videos and info. Guess i'll have to order some of tbe dvd's and books

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Brilliant find, given the number of subsidence's in the Mediterranean basin over the thousands of years that Egypt existed as a civilization there are probably other city sites even further out and deeper, some of which may hold the potential to pushing back civilization history in the region even further.

Now this hopefully has been less looted than the sunken portion's of the later Alexandria, sadly one of the thing's that make's egypt so great for archeaology is the relatively dry climate which help's to preserve organic remain's such as papyrus and even mummy's but submergeance of this site and any other similar site's mean's that such find's (except if they are in naturally preservative low oxygen silt or similar) are likely long rotted away.

Still mystery's to be found and of course sunken tomb's, maybe even subteranean vaults adjunct to the ancient temple site as well as the city itself are a genuine possibility.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

well, some maybe hermetically sealed containers, Sarcophaguses or similar will be/has been found. but for now, Steles, Pottery, Golden scrolls and artifacts is the only thing we have
i think we will only find more and more "stuff" as the time goes by and we acquire new technologies that allow us to see underground, and beneath the seabed without disturbing the silt in the wrong areas
not gonna discuss other sites here, but i firmly belive we have only seen the beginning in what has been discovered about "ancient" civilizations for the past 150 years
we live in exciting times

top topics

join