It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridding along in your average Ghetto in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Thats true-ish.

Its not that terrible, but all those factors do combine in certain places.

I live in the ghetto in NYC, some of what you say is true.

Was more so in other times, but we push back and seem to do ok. Its an uphill battle, but neighborhoods do change. They do improve.

Some things are constant, but others give to people who just dont give a F and are tired of living like this.

You have to watch your back, but we all get along.

Recently, white people from all over are moving in. Rents are going up a bit, but these new Coneticut and such, well off white people seem to be fine.

All over NYC ghettos. White people with a little money and actual careers moving in and living like everyone else. Not bitching and trying to change the communities they were welcomed into.

Its kind of cool and lame. The whole gentrification issue, though everyone else is still here too. It feels different.

Must be nowhere else to send them like other decades.

Its cool.

edit on 8 16 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Gangs are glorified with the youth now. They make money hand over fist with the drug dealing

Once they get a taste of that money they don't ever want to work a real job; not that there are any

Too many jobs have been outsourced

I think many good people would move out of those places if they could, surely they are trapped in a vicious cycle

I personally feel the police are getting blamed for these circumstances which is unfair (you point a gun at an officer expect to get shot) - bodycams would protect all involved

Reality is people need to get out and vote

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Truly sad.

The political systems have failed as usual.

It's not the system that has failed.

The system has worked perfectly. This is exactly what the system wants.

The people have failed.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

You definitely are clued in. So many don't realize that.

Consider that LBJ’s failed “$20 trillion taxpayer-funded war on poverty” known as the Orwellian-sounding “great society” program has been the single greatest contributor of the breakdown of black families in America. As noted at Business Insider: There is more drug addiction and more social and family breakdown among this population than when the Great Society was launched. LBJ pushed ahead with his “great society” program “which gave rise to Medicaid, Head Start and a broad range of other federal anti-poverty programs,” declaring that “negroes” are “getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness….” and claimed further that his efforts would secure the vote of the “nig*ers” for “200 years.” As noted in 2013 at the Washington Post: “Nearly 50 years after the release of the U.S. Department of Labor report ‘The Negro Family: The Case for National Action,’ which was highly controversial and widely criticized at the time, the new Urban Institute study found that the alarming statistics in the report back then ‘have only grown worse, not only for blacks, but for whites and Hispanics as well.’”

Source Link
Handouts are never appreciated fully, hand ups are more appreciated. If one doesn't understand the difference, they will never climb out from their rock.
edit on 8 16 2016 by CynConcepts because: Fixed link

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If I drive into town, I see people walking dogs. I stop for beer and leave my car windows down, usually my phone is on the passenger seat, sometimes I may tuck it under the seat. Not always.

I get home, get my lunch box and whatever goods I have brought and open my homes unlocked door.

The fact that the black communities are so wont for crime and violence is their own decision. They find it acceptable.

To each their own I guess

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I am not sure where you are referring to, but I grew up in Chicago and still live very near by. I can drive thirty to forty five minutes and see everything you just described on any day of the week, possibly including the dead body in the street. I have driven lower Wacker in the city in mid-winter and witnessed first hand the desperation of the homeless there. I saw four small legs sticking straight up and a skinny tail hanging off the end of a makeshift hibachi being tended by a very sickly looking black man. It was obviously a rat he had killed and was preparing for dinner. (The next time I drove through there I was dropping bags of McDonald's hamburgers out the window every couple hundred feet or so. They were picked up within seconds of hitting the pavement.)

The people who are trapped in these ghettos are indeed suffering a slow death. But they are also their own worst enemy. They are far below the poverty line, even though they are scamming the system for millions collectively. One single woman with five children will show up at the local welfare office with ten children - half hers and half her sisters, neighbors, or just random kids she picked up on the way. She gets benefits for ten children instead of five. Then her neighbor, sister, whoever, does the same thing bringing her five children along. As broke and desperate as they are though, they still have money for drugs, booze, all manner of swag, and of course illegal weapons and ammunition.

They complain that there are no jobs in their neighborhood. No kidding. Every time someone opens a business they get robbed repeatedly until they leave. Or worse yet, when the Bulls win people loot the place and then burn it down. Or, when the Bulls lose people loot the place and then burn it down. But here is the real issue: if any one of the people who lived in that ghetto drove for up to thirty minutes in any direction (except into the lake) they would be in a place where there were jobs. The whole "there are no jobs in my neighborhood" is the victim game blaming everyone else for their problems. I don't have a job in my neighborhood either. Have you ever heard of rush hour traffic? Do you know what it is? Rush hour traffic is millions of people who do not have jobs in their neighborhood. The difference is that they have enough respect for themselves and enough desire for a better life to drag their tired butts out of bed early in the morning, suffer through traffic, and work for a living.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but the whole blm movement and the obvious disconnect between where people are and how they got there is getting to be too much. The situation in Milwaukee right now is pretty much ensuring that I really don't care any more. A black cop shoots a black criminal who was pointing a gun at him, and the answer is to beat up white people...

You are on your own now. I am not responsible for your suffering and I will not lift a finger to help you out of it. There was a time when I would, and did, but no more. I am done.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Truly sad to read these comments. I lived in Atlanta-the gentrified part-during the early 70s and it was truly terrifying in most southern Atlanta neighborhoods-and it still is-only it has now swallowed many southern suburban parts. Minorities are in most power government positions and the result is simply catastrophic.

The hidden truth is Atlanta has forsaken so many poor areas and allowed the gangs to swallow up, control and destroy the crumbling neighborhoods-families try to flee. Atlanta, with the aid of federal money, actually funded downpayments to help the poor to move to the suburbs. I was a volunteer realtor finding them homes in good neighborhoods and helping to educate them to new home ownership; they owned the homes but the government paid their loans monthly for them.

Unfortunately, it didn't take more than 2-3 years for their new neighborhoods to crumble into destroyed homes, trashed yard-children without any parental guidance and then the gangs took over.

Broke my spirit. Unfortunately I was the one who did the learning-there is no appreciation if you don't earn it. My heart still aches for those children in the cluttered, crime-filled newer neighborhoods. The stores around them closed after so many break-ins-no one wanted to do any business there-the ice cream truck even quit coming around.

The government giveaways don't work. Self-governing didn't work. Charity didn't work.

I am disheartened for the next generation of poverty. Free education is not effective nor wanted. The poor have hate in their hearts watching wealthy rap stars and glorifying thuggish behavior. Their leadership has failed them.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That's a Bruce Lee movie! Ahh can't remember the name, afro, on a ship... It's been awhile since I've watched it.

Live near Peoria Il, in the 80's wasn't too bad now I don't even like driving over there. Gunshots are a common thing in the south end. They do have a system that seems to help a little bit I guess, called shotspotter. www.wmay.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Understand it’s not all bad.

Somebody brought up Newark.

Its got an inner city black hole of destruction.

But if you get on major street and ride a few blocks you do see a better caliber of lower middle class black people in say…Irvington…It gets better...

If you ride a little further, you get a Whole Foods area in Union, Maplewood
it gets real good.

In NYC I once walked from Port Authority, 42nd street all the way up to Harlem…Boy that was an experience!

Talk about going through Madonna’s neighborhood all the way to the worst ghetto…Ill never forget it.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lighter78

Williams from enter the dragon.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
There are no taverns, nightclubs, 7-11’s, forget a bank and even rarer, surprisingly, except on main drags are gas stations.

Most of the schools are closed, abandoned to some hidden charter school hiding somewhere in the community

Every other house is abandoned on most residential blocks and some areas look like Europe after WWII.

You might find a liqueur store and only Dominican run bodegas instead of 7-11’s or Arab chicken joints rather than McDonalds. All the store keepers are all safely behind barricades in their establishment, that includes the Chinese restaurants who seem to be able to survive in the hood.

No boys clubs, rarely are parks filled and if they are no body ever goes in then for fear of being raped or mugged or worse

I remember rolling down a major street one day going to the job and low and behold see a guy stiffly lying on the street on his face with his kegs jointing up and immediately I said to myself---that guy is dead!

Sure enough the county police were just riding up to the scene with oglers all over the place eying the dead man. Its turns out he had just tried to rob a pawn shop and was beaten to the draw by the proprietor.

You might have a Dunkin Donuts store surviving…everybody eats Dunkin Donuts and drinks their coffee but no major drug stores can survive.

Only near Hospitals, universities, can viable restaurants or any convenience stores survive so that the only area you’ll find them open.

Be careful when you pull up at a light you might run into a group of gang members with guns on their hips…always be ready to run that red light for your life to safety

The problem one sees clearly is that the people are just too poor. And always too black in your average American inner city

You forgot that the cities are also primarily run by liberal Democrats...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Someone mentioned earlier that it's not everyone and that's true it's only a handful that decide to go out and Rob some Bodega that has been in business for a while and the man that runs the bodega or owns it has been robbed many times how much do you think he's going to take eventually if he doesn't get killed he will just close up shop and that goes for many businesses in ghetto areas. do I open a store and get killed for it and the only people that really suffer all the children that are being raised in these ghettos,but again it's only a handful of people excuse me not people but spineless scum thugs that do this. Then again only the children suffer.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is a recent video of that very type of ghetto

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Sounds precisely like Detroit. In the 80's & 90's I mean.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Crime creates this type of poverty. poverty and businesses can coexist if the natives do not destroy the businesses.

The obvious way to combat this is to increase police enforcement. But the people that live there do not want that. Until they want increased police patrols and increased number of officers these places will continue to die.
Single motherhood, welfarism, gang/rap culture do wonders for a city.
I've heard stories up in flint where construction companies are trying to fix things bc of obvious issues. They leave their vehicle for 5 minutes to work on something and their stuff is gone. Tools and such on utility work vehicles are not in locked toolboxes. sad.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I guess I will consider myself lucky. The City of Tampa is a very prosperous, diverse, entrepreneurial, festive, military loving, law respecting, outdoorsy fun place. There is no ghetto here. There is a noticeable diversity within this city that just keeps everyone getting along and happy.

Man I love this town, and so would anyone who spends a week here!. Travel to Tampa today!

Do I love my city?? You better believe it!

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

And what religious universal movement will fix America? Christianity? Islam? No thanks I rather not allow a theocracy to run the country.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Detroit's infamous Packard Plant:

It's worth seeing the history of the place, videos showing it in its glory.

Some pretty sick rave parties used to be thrown there semi-regularly back in the late 90's. Definitely one of the coolest places such a party was ever thrown. It wasn't so war torn then. I went to one I just saw the room it was in in the video above. There was this huge 'balloon room'. Rows of tanks. The Detroit City Police showed up and everyone started freaking, but then they went int he gas room, got paid, and they left!

Then there's Detroit's infamous Train Station, although I've never been there.

Behold, prime relics of the aftermath of the black riots + black on white crime inspired "White Flight" of the 60's, and racist corrupt black mayors + liberal de-industrialization agenda many decades running.

One things for sure, D Town is definitely an Urban Explorers / Post-Apocalyptic Film Producers paradise.

final edit: This video I'm watching now is a sick urban explorer video (with great music):

edit on 16-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
After the army I lived on the east side of Ft Worth ...scary stuff,gun fire and all.
Glad I could escape back to Colorado Springs.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

That describes the town I live in perfectly. It's the type of place where you quite simply don't go out at night, and when you hit a stop light you don't watch the light, you watch all around your car for people approaching.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join