It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

only blacks allowed: students seek 'non-white' roomate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The notion that preference equates to bigotry seems
like a societal control mechanism of multiculturalism
to shame anyone who prefers their own race.

I'm a black man, so if I only choose to live with a woman of
color (which I do) I'm subsequently tarnished as a bigot?

Excuse me while I laugh out loud.

It's a mystery to me why multiculturalism is valued as
some form of higher truth. All it really does is limit
individualism and keeps people inside of other peoples
ideological sociopathic box.

NEVER ALLOW YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE TO BE DICTATED BY
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.
edit on 8/12/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
edit
edit on 12-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

of course SJW try to extrapolate some deep profound acceptable reason for this kind of behavior or mentality.

As a person frequently labeled a "SJW," I can tell you that there is no acceptable reason for this kind of behavior that I can imagine.

The Pitzer President, who is apparently a sociologist and is described as an "expert in racial inequality" (obligate SJW) appears to have come out against it.

As for the statement of two of the girls, aged 19 and 20, I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time worrying about the melodramatic rantings of misguided children but trying to justify the overt racial prejudice of excluding all white students as potential roomates with "we are fighting to exist" is so appallingly ludicrous that words fail me.

Honestly, wtf.

I don't think we should get too bent out of shape about it though as the overwhelming majority of 19-20 year-old college students have opinions that are utterly worthless in no small part because they typically lack the wisdom that comes with life experience.

Keep that in mind. The only people so far that seem to be attempting to justify this crap (that I've seen) are the girls whose ad it was so I don't think this incident should inform anyone's opinions about anything beyond the unfortunately lacking character of these three dumb kids who are too apparently too ignorant to realize that there are no good reasons for racism.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
What about people like Rachel Dolezal, who identify as black. Isn't this in line with self identifying your race and gender, and from what I can tell, no one is allowed to question a person's identity.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Some people do not want to live in a world that dictates what you can and cannot have as a preference, in fact you go as far to say that words fail you shows your bias....

Here look where i live you want to share with someone you had better live up to their way of thinking.....as an example you may find a share ad specifying someone who plays the guitar, is white has no kids, drug alcohol and cigarette free, vegan or vegetarians only.......people should be free to choose to live with whomever they want for whatever reason they want........Without some other bigoted person telling them how they should live their life.....
edit on 12-8-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Oh man, you nailed it. I thought I knew it all when I was in my late teens early 20's. I now know how little I do know. And I like it that way.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree with you 100 percent.

But can you imagine the backlash if it were reversed and a bunch of white kids said they didn't want to live with any black people?

The ACLU would be all over that kind of discrimination.

edit on 12-8-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

The notion that preference equates to bigotry seems like a societal control mechanism of multiculturalism to shame anyone who prefers their own race.

The real societal control mechanism manifested itself in "your" preference and most of what you imagine is your "choice" is really just a result of the social programming one can't help but to absorb.

Also, I'd argue that you are blaming the criticism of the girls' detractors on "multiculturalism" when you should be blaming misapplication of concepts of multiculturalism for the warped mindset of these girls. Multiculturalism that for instance, promotes racial segregation to artificially retard social integration is regressive horsesh# of the variety embraced by segregationists and separatists, neither of which have a place in modern society.

I'm a black man, so if I only choose to live with a woman of color (which I do) I'm subsequently tarnished as a bigot?

They were looking for a roomate, not a lover/spouse. There's are substantial differences.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Somehow I don't see it as "racism". Maybe, just MAYBE...it's a simple matter of whom they prefer to room with and instead of being "PC" by leaving it open and turning any color they don't want rooming with them down...they simply chose to make it clear from the start. Seems it would stop any potential embarrassment on either side. Is it REALLY that big of a deal?
edit on 12-8-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The real societal control mechanism manifested itself in "your" preference
and most of what you imagine is your "choice" is really just a result of the
social programming one can't help but to absorb.

In your analysis my personal "choice" has been influenced by some
form of machiavellian racist programming. So, should we also
assume by your rational all the black people in other nations
who prefer black people with whom to share a resident, are
also under this "programming to affect choice"?

Hopefully I've helped you to realize your assessment of my
CHOICE, or the choice of any man regardless of race is
a false conclusion.

You might really find it strange that the MAJORITY on
planet earth CHOOSE their own race with whom to
share a resident. Imagine that.

Wait, under your nidicolous rationale all of these people
have been brain washed to choose their own race.

This is what truly makes me laugh out loud.

My CHOICE is influenced by my own values. nothing
less, nothing more.

edit on 8/12/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

people should be free to choose to live with whomever they want for whatever reason they want........

As I said to the another poster, a lot of what you think of as your very own "preference" is really social programming you've picked up.

Now, take a look at your own list:

plays the guitar
is white
has no kids
drug alcohol and cigarette free
vegan or vegetarians only

One of these things doesn't fit with the others though you did try to sandwich it in there like it does. All of the items on that list could be applied to any person except one, "is white." What you're NOT saying, speaks volumes. Trying to pass that off as just another "preference" like "non-smoker" is ridiculous excuse making that falls apart under even cursory scrutiny.

Why should race be a consideration? Please tell me what legitimate reason there is for a racial preference in choosing a roomate? I'm going to go ahead and guess you can't come up with one that isn't born of a hasty generalization and as such, will be necessarily irrational in nature.

I'm all for people having choices but having choices isn't the same thing as being free from criticism if you make s# choices based on character flaws. There's nothing laudable and nothing of benefit for the individual or for society in irrational prejudices like "whites only" or "POC only."

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   

I will give you that ...sure it is not specified but the discrimination is still there and it applies to all of the criteria.......if i am a vegetarian and i do not want to live with a meat eater how is that any different to a person wanting to share with a person who has the same skin color ?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I'm all for people having choices but having choices isn't the same thing as being free from criticism if you make s# choices based on character flaws. There's nothing laudable and nothing of benefit for the individual or for society in irrational prejudices like "whites only" or "POC only."

Thing is that applies across the board it is not solely a race issue, people should be allowed their "pet grievances" without it offending another party ....

To be clear ...i cannot stand racism and i find it quite pathetic.....i simply believe a person should be allowed to live with their idiosyncrasies now matter how another perceives them

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Why should race be a consideration? Please tell
me what legitimate reason there is for a racial preference
in choosing a roommate? I'm going to go ahead and guess
you can't come up with one that isn't born of a hasty
generalization and as such, will be necessarily
irrational in nature.

Allow me to answer this for you.

It's very simple - Because this is what they want,
and not what you or any social scientist thinks is
best for their life.

It's the height of arrogance for you or anyone
else to qualify what's appropriate for anyone
but yourself. And then to demean others for
their personal choice based on their own
values and preference is almost criminal.

It's technically rational for a person to
make their own choices based on their
individual values. To allow anyone
to dictate and/or control their choices
is nothing more than a malicious
system of control.

This is the same strange politically correct
mentality that tptb have inseminated into
society that has reduced people into
lab rats - lab rats that supposed aren't intelligent
enough to make their own choices unless it's
approved by some so-called intellectual
authority.

Whether you or the advocates of your rational
like it or not - PEOPLE DON'T NEED YOU,
THEY CAN MAKE CHOICES WHAT'S BEST FOR
THEIR LIFE WITHOUT YOUR IDEAS OF
MULTICULTURALISM, OR ANY OTHER IDEOLOGY
ONE MAY FIND DISTASTEFUL.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

You're the only one talking about Machiavellian brainwashing. Why are people so hung up on having somebody to blame for everything?

No need for a sinister plot. Social programming isn't the same thing as social engineering (not to be confused with the cybersecurity term). Social programming doesn't have a programmer — it's all the beliefs, ideals, norms, taboos, mores, etc that we pick up along the way and are instilled in us and become ingrained in our psyches.

The key difference between our points of view I think is that you just assume that racial prejudice is something natural arising from biology?

I'm out but maybe you'd like to do some reading?

Anthropology.net - Race As A Social Construct

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

What you're saying there is great on an individual level. Sure, we all pick and choose our friends and partners and nobody can legislate it any other way. Neither can any power on Earth legislate our choice in music acts to make sure those CDs are racially representative. Preference is a personal freedom we all appreciate.

At the same time, it's wise to be aware that personal preference can combine with flat prejudice to create a society that destroys the ability of others to enjoy their preferences. For example, Saudi women would prefer to drive their own cars, but they can't. Back in MLK days, black people in southern states had a preference to have a good education or work in a city department store. Unfortunately the dominant preference created barriers to restrict them. Women too. They've been paid less than men in the exact same positions and based on what?

Do you get what I mean there? It's great to celebrate personal choices as long as we're vigilant that it doesn't lead to suppression of less influential groups.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

The key difference between our points of view I think is that you
just assume that racial prejudice is something natural arising from biology?

I'm not advocating racism. My only contention is that racial prejudice
causes no more societal harm than my prejudice for brown rice over
white. Prejudice has been practiced for thousands of years in every
civilization on the planet. I think it strengthens a race vs
multiculturalism from my observation which seems to destabilize,
and eventually produce racial disintegration.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq

Why should race be a consideration? Please tell
me what legitimate reason there is for a racial preference
in choosing a roommate? I'm going to go ahead and guess
you can't come up with one that isn't born of a hasty
generalization and as such, will be necessarily
irrational in nature.

Allow me to answer this for you.

It's very simple - Because this is what they want,
and not what you or any social scientist thinks is
best for their life.

It's the height of arrogance for you or anyone
else to qualify what's appropriate for anyone
but yourself. And then to demean others for
their personal choice based on their own
values and preference is almost criminal.

I guess the last 200 years of hard work by a multitude of brave souls from all across the spectrum to end prejudices and indifferences in American society was all for nothing.
they should have had your mentality and views... I wonder where we'd be.
or what this thread would be like if the context was reversed. people lose their jobs these days for saying racially insensitive stuff on social media while some at a college institution are advocating racism and why its OK if it's from one specific group... always the same group of people.

unreal.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq
The notion that preference equates to bigotry seems
like a societal control mechanism of multiculturalism
to shame anyone who prefers their own race.

I'm a black man, so if I only choose to live with a woman of
color (which I do) I'm subsequently tarnished as a bigot?

Excuse me while I laugh out loud.

It's a mystery to me why multiculturalism is valued as
some form of higher truth. All it really does is limit
individualism and keeps people inside of other peoples
ideological sociopathic box.

NEVER ALLOW YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE TO BE DICTATED BY
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

its not PC anything here.

what if you fell in love with a white female, would you deprive yourself of love and be with a woman of color just because you have some gripes against a skin color so much...
think about what you're saying.

you're misinterpreting the right to be with denying someone else's right to be. so if a white student desperately needed a room to live or other would have to drop out, it would be OK to deny that student the room based solely on skin color?

that is the context here. you're trying to misconstrue the the debate with the woman analogy. if you're attracted to x then you're attracted to x.. completely different from say denying your daughter to date a non black because of skin color.
edit on 12-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I have to wonder if some of the opinions here would be the same if it was a white person wanting only a white roommate?
How about a heterosexual roommate?
People who have posted ads specifying the race or sexual orientation of a roommate have been sued and have had to pay thousands of dollars. Of course they were not Black.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join