It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican platform refers to coal as an environmentally responsible energy source

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wow...the Republican party is treating you like you're an idiot. Investment in solar and wind are far outpacing that of coal which means job growth in an industry that requires people with more technical educations. That's exactly what we want. Advancing our workforce and investing in things that will benefit the entire world. Why would anyone want to invest and increase the workforce of a dying industry besides that the coal industry pays them off? It's blatant corruption and one of the most damaging things being allowed to occur to our people. Our health, stability, and well being of our kids are at stake.

My grandfather was a Kentucky coal miner and I understand the importance of it from a historical aspect. That's the thing though, coal is history. We simply can't rely on it and everyone knows this.

Here's what they don't want you to have. Your own energy. We are moving towards solar and basement style energy collection. That means all their friends don't make money except in the management of the grid. They're fighting against allowing us a better life. No one should ever want this.

This isn't some kind of political ad or endorsement, but Gary Johnson has his head on straight. The market dictates that solar energy is the future as shown by current investment, opportunity, and technological advancement. Why then are the Republicans attempting to buck the will of the free market? I believe Gary Johnson would not allow this. This is criminal in its essence and incredibly dangerous.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Theres an entire mega industry and infrastructure dependent on coal. From mining, transport, and power plants, these are the biggest interests. The coal deposits are vast , there will be no desire to change to alternative sources of energy as long they last.

Its not profitable to change so they won't. What they'll put all the invested time and money into is covering up the environmental destruction and countering any arguments against their status quo.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I think coal still have some life left in the near future. New technologies have made coal cleaner and more efficient. Given there are enough cheap coal supply to support the planet's energy needs for the next 300 years, coal is not going anywhere fast. Coal also provides stable employment for much of the fly over states. While we should look into renewable energy sources we should also look into developing new "ultra-clean" coal technologies. Solar and other emerging renewable energy techs will take over in the future. The problem with solar is that companies in the US cannot currently compete against China. Currently it is much cheaper to produce panels in China where the government subsidize the industry with an intent to corner the renewable energy market.
edit on 21-7-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with coal as an energy source except for the morons that tell you it isn't okay due to political correctness.

It has been used for 1000's of years in various cultures and will be for 1000's more. Obviously if we get affordable renewable energy our reliance on coal will lessen, but frankly what is the big flipping deal?

THIS is what you worry about?

edit on 2016/7/21 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The problem with solar and wind technology is that you can't even hope to power major cities with it, and to even get started you would have to gut and replace the existing infrastructure which could take decades and cost billions.

edit on 21-7-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

There is nothing wrong with coal as an energy source except for the morons that tell you it isn't okay due to political correctness.

It has been used for 1000's of years in various cultures and will be for 1000's more. Obviously if we get affordable renewable energy our reliance on coal will lessen, but frankly what is the big flipping deal?

obviously you know nothing about the coal industry and the environmental damage done by it on a global scale. there is however, a massive amount of research that has already been done on it's deleterious affects on the human species.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Stupid energy dinosaurs. Left and the right are guilty of it.

Nuclear power is the future. safe, clean, highly efficient and will last as long as humans are on this planet in most likelyhood.

Coal, oil and other fossil fuels are getting dangerously depleted, wind and solar simply don't have the efficiency.

Of course the media has done a great job in scarring the public about nuclear power with lies about Fukishima and Chernobyl.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Well that's partially True.

Coal as it used to be mined and what not, was terrible, it was a huge pollutant and not only that, but a detriment to those who worked in that industry, tons of health issues etc.

Newer technology has allowed for cleaner coal yes, that's most certainly true, but it's very very expensive, and a lot of coal companies are not converting.

So...I half agree?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Republican platform refers to coal as an environmentally responsible energy source

That is not how the platform is reading to me.

Let me quote:

We look toward the private sector’s development of new, state-of-the-art coal-fired plants that will be low-cost, environmentally responsible, and efficient [and] encourage research and development of advanced technologies in this sector, including coal-to-liquid, coal gasification, and related technologies for enhanced oil recovery.

They know that you cannot get around using coal, so they call for R&D into new types of plants and new types of storage. And rightly so!

Be aware that advances in efficiency or byproduct treatment could benefit coal plants in the entire world, not just the US, and could thus have a HUGE impact.

Also be aware that such advances are not likely to come from third world countries or just small countries with only a handful of coal plants a limited industry/production.

We need America doing R&D into this - this is definitely a positive part of the platform!
edit on 21-7-2016 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

So...I half agree? ~Tenth

I'll take it.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
What they'll put all the invested time and money into is covering up the environmental destruction and countering any arguments against their status quo.

OMG ... the sky is falling ... the sky is falling!!

The environment is not 'destroyed' at all. No one has to choose to live there, while Mother Earth takes care of the mess, as she has for billions and billions of years.

And all I hear is Waaahhhhhh!!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Though I'm not well caught up on this particular issue, I never understood conservatives who will not stand up for the environment, one of the most precious things we have. The root word "conserve" is present in both conservatism and conservation.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Op how do you think you get your electricity?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory
Though I'm not well caught up on this particular issue, I never understood conservatives who will not stand up for the environment, one of the most precious things we have. The root word "conserve" is present in both conservatism and conservation.

I can explain it very simply...

The answer to 'protecting the environment' to liberals means I have to pay higher prices and higher taxes and while I am interested in avoiding oil spills, clear cutting and chemical dumping, I do not believe CO2 is the horror that it is made out to be and 9 out of 10 plants agree with me.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Tell that to my grandfather who died at an early age from black lung.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I do not believe CO2 is the horror that it is made out to be and 9 out of 10 plants agree with me.

That's pretty reductionist of you Metal, we know C02 is the problem, what we don't know is if it's us really causing the uptick or if it's something we have no control over.

But again, I half agree lol

The liberal way of doing this is cap and trade, basically punish you for polluting, yet the big companies could do it all they want since the cost is minimal. It's just an excuse to put more money in the coffers of over reaching governments, and allow large multi nationals to pollute the hell out of countries that can't defend themselves against it.

Who said earlier we need R&D in America to come back? They were right.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Who said earlier we need R&D in America to come back? They were right. ~Tenth

I have no issue with good old American innovation! Let's do it!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

This sounds like something the E P A would say and we all know how the republicans feel about them.

Might I also say that it is one of the few things I have heard out of either party which makes any long term sense.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

He chose the job knowing the risks....

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

He chose the job knowing the risks....

Not likely.
In most areas this was, and is, the only jobs available which pays enough foe a family to live on.

<<   2  3 >>

join