It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan State Police picking counties for roadside drug testing pilot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
First off, I realize that this is probably in the wrong forum, but the most appropriate forum is off limits to me still.

Now, from the people that brought you DUI checkpoints comes a new story....roadside drug testing.

The Michigan State Police is working on plans to establish a pilot program for roadside drug testing, a spokeswoman said. A new law instructs the state police to pick five counties where it will run a one-year pilot program for saliva-based testing to check drivers for drugs like marijuana, heroin and coc aine. "We expect the counties to be finalized this summer with a pilot to begin sometime later in the year," MSP spokeswoman Shanon Banner said. The five counties will be determined based on criteria including: the number of impaired driving crashes;the number of impaired drivers arrested; and the number of Drug Recognition Experts (DREs) trained in the county, she said.

www.mlive.com...

I have a hard time accepting that this is a good idea, especially with the swab testing for marijuana included. It is no secret that a heavy user can show positive even though they are sober. Even worse, the potential for police misuse is large. Although I normally don't agree with all the cries of racism, I honestly can see a larger number of young black men being tested upon suspicion than other races. Only time will tell how this will turn out, but Michigan's DUI checkpoint idea has been abandoned by several states as ineffective, and replaced by roving saturation patrols.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Is this supposed to be voluntary?
Uh no thanks, you may not have a dna sample without a warrent.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I hope my county isn't one of the counties to be picked. Not that I drive high or anything, it would just suck having a lot of extra state police around.
Is this after people are pulled over for a traffic violation, or is this random like a checkpoint?
I would refuse the checkpoint for sure...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
I have a hard time accepting that this is a good idea,

So you think drug addicts driving is a good idea....

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Me too. My county is already known for extreme racism by our county and city police, we don't need this unfair, completely BS "checkpoint" going on.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Hmmm...I had to reread my post because I don't remember writing that. Sure enough it wasn't there. As a matter of fact I pointed out EXACTLY why I thought it was a bad idea. That leads me to believe that you didn't read my post, or you're looking to start a quarrel...which is it?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Road side dna testing? NO f-cking thanks.

Does anyone in their right mind think this is actually to fight some kind of drug problem?

It's a two prong effect:

1) Another form of taxation via tickets and jail time

2) Collect dna samples from anyone and everyone

edit on 14-7-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yea, Bummer deal all around.
What really grinds my gears is Michigan is Medical Marijuana State. My doc prescribes me cannabis, I Medicate at 10am, get pulled over at 730pm for something stupid like a tail light, and swab dirty for THC, go to jail, impound, etc...How does that make sense?

Where's the swab for real drugs like Xanax and Vicoden?

I can see the racist angle as well...Something tells me these counties will include Wayne (Detroit), Genessee (Flint), and Saginaw (Saginaw!) counties.. one of which being mine.. none of which deserve this crap.

I don't condone impaired driving, AT ALL. But THC is such a slippery slope because it lingers for so long... maybe they have updated the tests but I doubt that. Plus, many cannabis users that I know are such regular users that the term "High" is sort of relative.. regular users don't get "High" like casual users. Certainly not any more impaired than my dad used to be when his doc gave him Xanax for a "mid-life crisis"... his prescribed dose almost got him killed in a car accident... but NOPE don't touch that dirty devil lettuce...
If I don't live in any of these counties I will sure be avoiding them, and crossing my fingers that this plan fails just like the welfare drug testing
Lame.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Are you all for wrongful prosecution? I take narcotics for chronic pain. I function just fine and am not a danger on or off the road, but, if they do just a saliva test, I will test positive. What then? I don't carry a letter from my Dr or my prescriptions with me, so as far as they know, I'm an addict that tested positive.
Should I have to pay bail, go before a judge and pay for a lawyer?
Or should they have to have an actual reason to pull me over?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

I'd feel a lot safer with someone high driving me then someone drunk any day.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Are you all for wrongful prosecution? I take narcotics for chronic pain. I function just fine and am not a danger on or off the road, but, if they do just a saliva test, I will test positive. What then? I don't carry a letter from my Dr or my prescriptions with me, so as far as they know, I'm an addict that tested positive.
Should I have to pay bail, go before a judge and pay for a lawyer?
Or should they have to have an actual reason to pull me over?

I feel your pain. My ex wife took narcotics for chronic pain.

Its not my place and Im not trying anything but a suggestion. Those big pharma narcotics are evil man. Ive seen countless success stories for chronic pain users and THC. Ditch those pills. Plow through the withdrawal. Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

No. But I think invading my privacy and impeding my liberty is an infinitely worse idea.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I live here. Heard this yesterday. I didnt hear about the checkpoint thing locally, but the saliva swab under the same deal when pulled over.

If one refuses as we have a right to....that also allows them to take you in then for a blood test. Its kind of the same when performing a roadside pullover sobriety test.

Im for legalization myself, so this troubles me too...but if one refuses without a search warrant? They can and will hold you in place until they wake up a local judge to sign one. Then youre screwed.

I live next to a judge and they frequently wake him up at 3-4-5 a.m. It takes little time to get a warrant....

Where its prob as important as testing for drunk driving....the checkpoint idea is WRONG IN EVERY WAY. And that troubles me.

More of our freedoms assaulted....

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

They may not actually be testing the DNA, although they could take the saliva sample and try to get a DNA sample from that.

Here is the type of saliva test they will likely be using: salivafacts.blogspot.com...

Duration substances remain detectable through saliva:

Marijuana and Hash: up to 24 hours
Opiates: 2-3 days
Cocaine: 2-3 days
Amphetamines, Meth, Ecstasy: 2 to 4 days
PCP: 3 days

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So we are just trashing the 4th amendment these days huh... well I guess that's one state I'll never visit. That is at least until they repeal that garbage BS.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
TYRRANY, PLAIN AND $&%#&@% SIMPLE.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Should probably read the entire article. The swab is administered along with the 12 step evaluation process for drug impairment evaluation. And only administered by officers or troopers already trained to perform the evaluation which, surprise, already includes a urine sample, blood test, or saliva swab.

Sounds to me like this is simply taking something that's routinely done at either a hospital after a crash or some form of intake facility and making it mobile enough to be done roadside.
edit on 14-7-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Can't say how this will work out for the residents of Michigan, but I can say.......programs like this won't do much to help Michigan tourism.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is the kind of crap that's proposed because of poor parenting. It always goes back to poor parenting. LOL

Bunch of GD'd stoners with no consideration of what their actions are gonna bring down on society. You want roadside drug testing, I'm fine with that. Only ... I want there to be a serious consequence if you're going to affect my civil rights.

I demand Summary Executions for each and every offender. /Sarc

Now, consider what 'policy makers' would do if Summary Execution had to be part of the formula. I bet they'd be a lot less 'liberal' in their development of Law, wouldn't they?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
However if I smoke a joint that morning...and 4 hours later officer "you look promising" profiles me and initates a stop on me. Decides he wants to administer this test...because we all know they won't use this type of thing to let's say seize my car...or you know fine me for their profit. Won't I show positive when I am perfectly sober to drive?

And isn't this still an overreach of the 4th amendment?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join