It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters shut down I-94 from Hwy. 280 to downtown St. Paul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: matafuchs
What does this accomplish?

What does demonstration accomplish?

As long as the people have the right to demonstrate, this is a great country.

We'll see. The cops are geared up for their
version of demonstration.

"Demonstrate" ha..

How are they shutting it down? Are they standing across and blocking the road? Shutting down highways isn't illegal? Do different laws apply when it's a "demonstration"? I don't think this is the first time the group has done this. I wonder where they get the idea for this to be their protesting tactic.

Its called "Civil Disobedience". Assembling and calling attention to a cause without doing lasting harm to infrastructure.

These aren't breaking windows, looting or setting fires to businesses. No harm no foul. The cops on the other hand, as soon as they are ready, will burn all these peoples eyes and throats with gas, pummel them with rubber bullets and batter them with batons.

Protest don't matter...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: ketsuko

Their right to demonstrate should not impede anyone else's right to travel.

Big deal. Go around.

Sometimes, it's easier said than done.

1.) You have to know about the problem enough in advance to take an alternate.

2.) You have to know there is an alternate.

This isn't an option for everyone. Some people are stuck. And once you are stuck in this mess, you are stuck for the duration. Perhaps someone who needs to pee ought to use a protestor.

link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Good luck with those charges.

Not defending them. But the law will know exactly what to hit you with should you plow em down.

link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Is anyone here over 40? It's a protest. Inconvenience is a way of bringing an issue to light. I'd wager some would prefer a violent action. Something they can REALLY get their teeth into.

You know what, though? Eff that tactic. Just because you're pissed doesn't give you the right to make things more difficult for others. Would you be supportive if they shut down the highway during rush hour on YOUR way to work? I highly doubt it. It's not a matter of inconvenience, it's a matter of respect. You don't know who's coming & going from where, so it's best to just assume that person you're blocking from continuing on their way is probably going to be late for work, might be written up for being late (thanks to some bonehead in the road) There's more impacted than just the protesters when major roads or highways start getting cut off. This is when your "cause" starts getting ignored.
edit on 7/9/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
They're singing now.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
What does this accomplish?

More racial division.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Music, dancing, taunts.... benign

So far, so good. Oh, the cops are escalating...

I bet not one single media station is carrying this, as usual.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well to start with I'd say "yeah". I's obvious that some people aren't aware of some things.... AND DON'T CARE. Thus the action. IMO, sorry you were 2 hours late for work. What's that compared to societal issues that are being put forth?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Is anyone here over 40? It's a protest. Inconvenience is a way of bringing an issue to light. I'd wager some would prefer a violent action. Something they can REALLY get their teeth into.

Exactly. What would they have people do? Protest in protest zones conveniently set off to the side? Funny to me how those so vocally protesting free-speech zones seem to have an issue with these particular protests.

The people there are saying they are more than willing to take the consequences of blocking the roadway.

And there are apparently firecrackers going off too now. Not wise.. Periscope

edit on 7/9/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yes, they want the consequences, especially if they get the chance to blame the police for violent, forcible, brutal removal. So that's why they do this.

They are trying to provoke the police, nothing more or less.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just watched a Facebook live-feed shot from an old friend and schoolmate who lives there. The crowd looked like a close 50/50 mix of white and non-white. There wasn't any violence or even tension showing from what I saw. There was someone with a bullhorn getting people going but mostly chanting and positive shouts.
He ended the video and followed up shortly after saying he was going to get out of there as it looked like the police were going to teargas or something to get people off of the highway.

I'll post any follow-ups

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That actually sounds good and refreshing.
Shut this artificial world down already/

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: intrptr

Their right to demonstrate should not impede anyone else's right to travel.

The highways and people on them are not what they're angry at.

And you have to wonder how many police calls will go unanswered because the cops have to babysit their butts on the highway?

I couldn't agree more.

If they want to lose support then impeding the highway is a great way to piss off us normal folks.
You?? Normal???

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
No because that's how non-violent resistance works.

link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There's more impacted than just the protesters when major roads or highways start getting cut off. This is when your "cause" starts getting ignored.

This whole division thing works well eh ....Perhaps if everyone stood together for a common cause this would not happen....

As there is no common cause, and as some have demonstrated in this thread they are pissed off because they may have their travel impeded, by the people that are pissed off because their voice is not being heard..

At least they are not breaking stuff and burning down the infrastructure....

So exactly how does a group publicly protest in a way that works for everyone ?

link   
"Peaceful" protest.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

They say that all lives matter so their movement is more inclusive.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
And this accomplishes what exactly? Except to prove that they're a$$hats.

Disrupting the lives of people that have nothing to do with what they're protesting about. Just a few steps down from shooting random, innocent cops.

Way to sway people to your cause. Morons.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

They say that all lives matter so their movement is more inclusive.

People are way to selfish for the name to make the slightest bit of difference

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Swarming now, putting on masks, getting ready to get violent.

The cops dummy, not the protesters.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join