It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I Refuse to Support U.S. Armed Drone Policy": Army Chaplain Reads Resignation Letter to Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This man has resigned his commission as an Army Chaplain in protest to the foreign policy of the current administration. He is a UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST, a faith-based community that accepts ALL COMERS, does not believe in the silly "Trinity" thing, and does not believe that only some people will enjoy an afterlife. They do believe in A Supreme Divinity.

They are the ONLY Western religion that makes sense. In my opinion.

He is also the founder of the Veterans for Peace organization in Hudson Valley (NY).

I found this article on Democracy Now:
"I Refuse to Support U.S. Armed Drone Policy": Army Chaplain Reads Resignation Letter to Obama
and want to share it.

This is truly Christ-like behavior, it is true to what your Jesus would have said.
Sadly, many many many "Christians" (especially some named Ted Cruz and George Bush and Barack Obama) can't seem to fathom the concept that murdering other people is wrong.

Here is what the chaplain said:

"I resign because I refuse to support U.S. armed drone policy," Antal wrote. "The Executive Branch continues to claim the right to kill anyone, anywhere on earth, at any time, for secret reasons, based on secret evidence, in a secret process, undertaken by unidentified officials. I refuse to support this policy of unaccountable killing."

Army Chaplain. Not a "Christian" - a real follower of the message of peace, love, and kindness.

Perhaps as time passes, more people will get on board. Or - not...they enjoy telling others which bathroom to use, who to date or love, what to eat and drink, and what they are not allowed to do. I suppose they would consider themselves "enablers" if they baked a stupid cake for a fleeting celebration of happiness between two human beings.

All you fundamentalist bullies, butt-in-skis, high and mighty decree deliverers, refuseniks to live and let live....who don't want to share, who don't want others to be happy.....whether ISIS or WBC - all of you....sick, sick people.

H L Mencken:

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

and especially pertinent to this election cycle:

Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good.

So, here's to Chris Antal and H L Mencken. We need more men like them....

Here's the full letter of resignation from this good and right Reverend:

“Dear Mr. President:

“I hereby resign my commission as an Officer in the United States Army.

I resign because I refuse to support U.S. armed drone policy. The Executive Branch continues to claim the right to kill anyone, anywhere on earth, at any time, for secret reasons, based on secret evidence, in a secret process, undertaken by unidentified officials. I refuse to support this policy of unaccountable killing.

I resign because I refuse to support U.S. nuclear weapons policy. The Executive Branch continues to invest billions of dollars into nuclear weapons, which threaten the existence of humankind and the earth. I refuse to support this policy of terror and mutually assured destruction.

I resign because I refuse to support U.S. policy of preventive war, permanent military supremacy and global power projection. The Executive Branch continues to claim extra-constitutional authority and impunity from international law. I refuse to support this policy of imperial overstretch.

I resign because I refuse to serve as an empire chaplain.

I cannot reconcile these policies with either my sworn duty to protect and defend America and our constitutional democracy or my covenantal commitment to the core principles of my religion faith.

These principles include: justice, equity and compassion in human relations, a free and responsible search for truth, a commitment to the democratic process, and the inherent worth and dignity of every person.

“Respectfully submitted,

"Christopher John Antal"

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here's what the UU is all about:
Unitarian Universalist Association

In Unitarian Universalism, you can bring your whole self: your full identity, your questioning mind, your expansive heart.

Together, we create a force more powerful than one person or one belief system. As Unitarian Universalists, we do not have to check our personal background and beliefs at the door: we join together on a journey that honors everywhere we’ve been before.

Our beliefs are diverse and inclusive. We have no shared creed. Our shared covenant (our seven Principles) supports “the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.” Though Unitarianism and Universalism were both liberal Christian traditions, this responsible search has led us to embrace diverse teachings from Eastern and Western religions and philosophies.

Unitarian Universalists believe more than one thing. We think for ourselves, and reflect together, about important questions:

The existence of a Higher Power
Life and Death
Sacred Texts
Inspiration and Guidance

Just in case any of you are interested. This is a good club to join.
edit on 6/13/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Army Chaplain. Not a "Christian" - a real follower of the message of peace, love, and kindness.

Are you implying that Christianity spreads message of violence and murder, just like Islam does?

I seriously don't understand what was the point of putting a statement like that in your opening post.

I was about to give props to the guy, but it seriously pisses me off this direct and indirect bashing on Christianity for no apparent reason. Your narrative must be: "oh look an Islamist went on a bloody rampage, yet again, let's use this opportunity to bash on Christianity...because, you know, crusade wars, or they TALK against something that we support...."

edit on 138k2016Mondayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The army is now down a chaplain,,,
Whatever will they do to recover from such a huge loss?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

I am partially responding to the Orlando incident and some of the comments coming from ATS regarding this atrocity...
lots and lots of Christians are haters. Fact.

This is a message of what a true Christ-follower would do. They would not carpet bomb entire continents. I am tired of politicans who claim to be "Christian" and then proceed to butcher others.

????

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Predictably callous response.
You got anything else?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It's just that old "guilt by association" thing, you know.
If you're not like that, then good - that's wonderful. Perhaps talk to the people who ARE like that, and refuse to support their actions. They don't want to listen to people like me.
edit on 6/13/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

During the previous day, it was said over a million times, that the difference is, you don't see Christians killing people in the name of Jesus, delusionally believing they are doing them a favour by killing them, and sending them to Jesus where they will be forgiven. Apparently, that's what many Islamist's believe.

Never in the history had any Christian leader bombed an entire continent in the name of Jesus.
edit on 144k2016Mondayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Gosh, what a nice sweet thing you are, as nasty as those you accuse, glad you don't have a gun, I know where your cross hairs would be aimed

Now as for drones, they are cheap and effective at killing terrorists, terrorists I might add are mostly not christian
I guess you are one of those who prefer US and allied soldiers are killed by terrorists on the battlefield

So, out of interest, what's your foreign policy, give them terrorists a big hug so they know they are loved, is that the Unitarian way

It sounds so sweet but is so silly
Hey why not just let them poor defenseless against drones terrorists go, just walk away from the Middle East and let them take over the whole place

You are a contradiction in ideologies
Poor terrorists
Good Unitarians
Bad christians

Fundamental bully back at yah buzzy

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Predictably callous response.
You got anything else?

Sure, why not?

The job of an army is to kill people and blow s&*t up.
The idea of a member of clergy being opposed to that violence isn't exactly something new.
I guess we could give american soldiers flowers instead of bullets, that should stop all the killing around the world.
For what it's worth, I want all US troops to come home and let the rest of the world take care of it's own problems.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I am partially responding to the Orlando incident and some of the comments coming from ATS regarding this atrocity...
lots and lots of Christians are haters. Fact.

This is a message of what a true Christ-follower would do. They would not carpet bomb entire continents. I am tired of politicans who claim to be "Christian" and then proceed to butcher others.

????

Lots and lots of atheists are haters as well, very obvious when the fundy atheists come out of the pack
They nearly call for slaughtering Christians and bemoaning Muslim terrorists being killed by drones

Funny...peculiar...funny

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
After reading his letter, it begs the question...

Why did he join up in the first place? It's not like killing and nukes are something new.

Not that I disagree with his reasons, I just wonder.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Given what he is against, I wonder what in the world (of religion) he was doing in the US Army in the first place?

As for the way he quit, I guess, he wanted to make a well-announced statement. He could have just gone quietly.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

This man is the perfect example of a hero.

Not the mindless drones who blindly line up to follow orders from their corporate overlords...

"but - but - but - but I was just following orders"

That crap don't fly no more!

You DO HAVE A CHOICE to say no...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Beautiful!

OP you are correct. He is following the theory/teachings of the Just War Principle.

Now this is what I'm talking about when people say "support our troops"!!!

As opposed to the typical sentiment:

Makes me proud of my countrymen.

More need to follow his lead.

edit on 13-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

AKA protecting our freedoms when called out on it right????

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420

AKA protecting our freedoms when called out on it right????

Soldiers kill, the politicians pick the targets.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
what does that say about a Christian who took and oath and breaks it?

i know a lot of bad people who are Christians and a lot of good who arent.

Im not a man of the cloth but, i left the military for similar reason. but i finished my contract, because i took an oath, and the life of the man standing in front of me is only as valuable as my integrity and my life to the man behind me.

originally posted by: odzeandennz
I was on board a certain DDG, off the coast of east Africa. Subsequently going up and down the Med.
And while performing a joint op with a seal team, we were equipped with weaponized drones... while on watch i asked one of my chiefs while at flight quarters... "who's forheads are we dropping warheads on" i asked in tongue and cheek, but pejoratively; she knew my stance on civilian casualties (hospitals, elderly, children, women etc, vice a 2-6 'possible' terrorists in a cell)

She replied to me : " '**2, go take your next [expletive] round. You signed up for this [expletive] [expletive]."
2 years later, i decided not to reenlist. I got out. ***snip***.

Now i would like re enlist if i and when were fighting against an army, in uniform, on a battle field (sea/land/air) just not in a neighborhood with only one hospital for an entire region.

oh and what happened to ALL the threads that were pointing out that the US created ISIS?...
edit on 13-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Never in the history had any Christian leader bombed an entire continent in the name of Jesus.

What difference does it make if they do it "in the name of Jesus"?
They are still doing it.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I guess we could give american soldiers flowers instead of bullets, that should stop all the killing around the world.

One can dream.

For what it's worth, I want all US troops to come home and let the rest of the world take care of it's own problems.

So do I. So why the snark?

Wars are stupid. Humans are vile to each other.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join