It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VT Governor Signs Law Banning Conversion Therapy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yesterday, Governor Shumlin of Vermont signed a law banning "Conversion Therapy" (a therapy intended to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity.) on anyone under 18 years of age.

I'm from Vermont and I will tell you that this doesn't surprise me one bit. I will tell you that the folks who have "Take Back Vermont" signs in their front yards will probably be pissed (these are folks who are anti-LBGT)

The article also discusses some of the controversies surrounding this type of practice:

A 2015 report released by the U.S. Department of Health and human Services concluded conversion efforts "are not effective, are harmful, and are not appropriate therapeutic practices."

Melissa Murray, executive director at Outright Vermont, a queer youth advocacy group, said she's not convinced conversion therapy isn't still used in pockets of Vermont.

Starting July 1, a licensed Vermont psychologist, mental health counselor or physician who attempts conversion therapy on a minor may be found guilty of professional misconduct.

Also, other states who have passed similar laws:

Vermont joins Oregon, New Jersey, Illinois and California in banning conversion therapy.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced his state will forbid insurance companies from covering the therapy.

edit on 26-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
I'm from Vermont and I will tell you that this doesn't surprise me one bit. I will tell you that the folks who have "Take Back Vermont" signs in their front yards will probably be pissed (these are folks who are anti-LBGT)

As a consolation they can still pray away the gay in private.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That reminds me of a great Malcolm in the Middle episode where Francis (the older brother), is working at a Beauty Pagent and is helping the girls get dressed, do makeup, etc. and they think he is gay. He goes along with it because he gets to be up close and personal with these gorgeous girls, even though he really is straight.

To cut to the chase, he really likes one of the girls and tries to convince her that he "is starting to feel so different, maybe he can change". He thinks she wants to test it by sleeping together, but instead he finds himself in a Pray Away the Gay group and is utterly disappointed lol

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

That was a great episode, I forgot about that one. The sad part is that there are BB brains who think they can actually accomplish this by beseeching Jesus to un-gay their kids.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

It's always great to hear that our society is taking positive steps to put these archaic practices behind us. Yay!

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Great news..... I hope every state follows Vermont's lead.

This is what I call protecting children..... Once they become of legal age, then they can make their own decisions without their two mommies or two daddies MANIPULATING an innocent child's mind.....

Lets look at Bruce Jenner......perfect example of a confused mind and he is grown. First he wants to be a female....no I want to be a dude.....back and forth........

The DRAMA transgenders bring to the table.......

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

This is what I call protecting children..... Once they become of legal age, then they can make their own decisions without their two mommies or two daddies MANIPULATING an innocent child's mind.....

Lets look at Bruce Jenner......perfect example of a confused mind and he is grown. First he wants to be a female....no I want to be a dude.....back and forth........

Doesn't every single parent on the planet influence their child's mind? Hell parents are a child's MAIN influence period...

The whole shot a gay parents creating trans children is ridiculous..

The vast majority of rapists and pediaphiles are straight, or live their lives as straight.

That's not saying that all strait men are rapists, but that people who openly admit they are gay/trans almost never do...

In fact every gay couple I have personally known hopes their children are straight.. Hopes they are straight with the fire of 1000 suns lol.

They don't want the child they love to face the bullying that life style usually come with.

They want to have grand kids and (if the child is theirs biologically) pass on their DNA to the future.

You have psycopaths of every race, creed and color.

In fact I bet your highest probability to have a parent try and "make" their kid trans would come from straight "pageant moms " who:

"Always wanted a little girl."

To tal fail on your post.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I often hear conservatives admit that being gay/trans is prob a brain wiring issue. Your DNA made a "mistake", accidentally wiring you as the opposite sex completely or just when it comes to sexual attraction. They mainly do it so they can stress that it is a disorder that should be treated. Which is not wholly illogical...

But they never stop to consider that the "mistake" could be so fundamental to the human psyche that no amount of therapy nor Jesus will fix it. That we don't even have the understanding and tech to confirm a diagnosis, let alone fix it...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

The Bill does not mean what you think it means...

lol

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

So do I.
This bill will BAN organizations that try to make gay people straight...

You're so funny!
edit on 5/26/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Um. Gay Conversation therapy is the crappy pray away the gay camps that intolerant Christians send their kids to when they learn they are gay. You are celebrating something that is protecting gay kids, just fyi. Though you are right, more states SHOULD follow Vermont's example.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Gay Conversation...

Hey! What's wrong with gay conversation? I loooooove Liza Minnelli and you look fabulous!

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So there will be no more camps for me to go to that look like a scene from Baywatch?

I didn't even realize they did this. Crap, my opinion of religion was just blown out of the water.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I always thought it was hilarious that these pray the gay away camps are usually same sex camps and workshops.

When Ted Haggard was caught buying meth and exchanging sex for drugs from a male prostitute (while preaching anti gay sermons) he went off to an isolated guys only retreat in the mountains.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Gay Conversation...

Hey! What's wrong with gay conversation? I loooooove Liza Minnelli and you look fabulous!

I think they just need to change their methodology.

if they started these pray the gay away camps in Thailand they could make a slow transion through the gender spectrum from male to female. It will take patience and prayer of coarse.
edit on 26-5-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
I think they just need to change their methodology.

Krazysh0t already did, from conversion to conversation.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I think crazy people like ones who do this type of thing probably won't be stopped by laws. They probably just won't be able to advertise.

What's hilararious is all the sexual repression of the extreme religeous creates the malady they are afraid of. The irony is their faith gives them an excuse not to read the evidence.
edit on 26-5-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
"conversion " therapy is pseudoscience bullshoit.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Ack typo! Ya got me lol.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Can anyone find a link to the bill. It says in the article gender identity as well. I would like to see the wording as it relates to that.

Does it mean no converting to a different gender as well?

Need more information.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join