It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cutting the Cable (TV)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yesterday I terminated my Comcast Cable TV Service (kept Internet of course) For the longest time I felt like an idiot paying so much for so little. The only reason I felt the need to keep it was for Hockey (I'm a Lifelong Bruins Fan)

Economics was the real reason though. For a few years now I have had a small TV hitched up in the kitchen with an antennae. I get a small handful of channels and reception is excellent, I really only use it for News/Weather in the a.m, and background washing dishes etc.

So now I have 3 others I want to do the same with, Bedroom, Living room, Studio. But I also bought a 7 year old Mac Mini to use a Music/Movie server in the living room, it is Intel dual Core, plenty of umph. I usually do these activities in my studio (small space-Control Room-I use to record a lot of music in it) Now more of a Man Cave.

So I'm wondering if others have done this and what you have done, example: Pie Plate Antennae, Online Movie viewing etc.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Good way to save money. We got rid of cable last year. Now we have hulu, gives you a goood amount of content for the price, $10.

I also pay for WWE Network, my secret idiotic indulgence, $10. But if you're into wrestling it is a great deal, ppv's used to be 50-70 bucks a pop.

Lots of sites for live sports, z movie for movies and watch series for tv.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We got rid of cable recently and without it we get no reception at all. I have to look into some kind of antenna so I can at least get normal television.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yeah a flat digital antenna works well depending on your location to the transmitter. We have one as well, mostly so the kids can watch PBS.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
We got rid of cable recently and without it we get no reception at all. I have to look into some kind of antenna so I can at least get normal television.

My friend recommended the Pie Plate antennae. Also recommended was to add a 75/300 ohm connector (available for about $5. What they look like

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: coven83

Good way to save money. We got rid of cable last year. Now we have hulu, gives you a goood amount of content for the price, $10.

I also pay for WWE Network, my secret idiotic indulgence, $10. But if you're into wrestling it is a great deal, ppv's used to be 50-70 bucks a pop.

Lots of sites for live sports, z movie for movies and watch series for tv.

I think it is actually kind of fun, Video entertainment is definitely changing and I think Comcast and ilk are learning that not being able to pick what you want to watch is driving customers away. (They really do deserve it, and a kick in the pants)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
We just got 2 android tv boxes ($50 each) and we can get pretty much anything on it. Gonna be cutting the cable cord very soon. I mostly download my shows anyhow.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I am currently using an antenna that I made out of cardboard, foil, a rca transformer, and a section of coax cable.
I am able to get seven channels without much trouble. If I find a sweet-spot, I can find a few extra channels.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Streaming media box with XBMC/Kodi. Pretty much has everything. Movies, live TV, music, ppv.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I have 2 non amplified flat antennas hooked up to a signal splitter in reverse to make a stronger signal and an extension cable to keep it far away from TV interference. Try out different positions. If I could I'd get a TiVo for over the air but if you live in a big city there is always something to watch. Seems like every year a new network comes. I've tried many different antenna setups. Cost me about a hundred dollars to do the current setup. For 1 room.
edit on 25-5-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have Amazon Prime $99 a year - Netflix about $8 a month - Hulu about $12 a month. I watch what I want, when I want and no commercials. Getting ready to install an antennae for local channels, which carry the shows that I like to keep up with, like NCIS and several others.
All that for less than 1 months bill for Dish Network. I am never going back to satellite or cable.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That's $350 a year for what will be free when the new HDTV standard atsc 2.0 comes out. The standard after that is 3.0 which has 4k video (no a 4k TV is not already 3.0 compatible)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SpecialSauce

4k is still a bit too expensive for me. Is there a lot of content in 4k yet?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

No, wait for a atsc 2.0 TV if you can, it has on demand over the air.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SpecialSauce

I'm in no rush. 1080p is good enough for me. Once gaming catches up, then I will probably make the switch.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: coven83

Is Hulu available anywhere in the U.S.? I checked the website but it doesn't list all the available channels. I like the idea of no commercials! Can you get the History, ID, CNN and local channels with HULU? I would love to get rid of my Direct TV. I'm paying for crap I don't even want!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So tonight after I posted this. I used a splitter on the antennae in the kitchen and feed it down into the basement to my TV in the studio (basement is underground), took me awhile, but I'm getting mostly Spanish speaking channels, no local stations and a few others that I am not getting on the TV in the Kitchen (which is also using an analog to digital convertor) what a riot. The channels are crystal clear, better than cable.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Hulu is over the internet so i assume it's nation wide. The dont do full channel program lists but there is alot of good content. T.V. movies and documentaries, it's worth it to me.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I heard a long time ago that hooking up to an audio receiver can get good reception. Not sure if it's true.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Congratulations.

I took down the old tv antenna yesterday on the house I just moved into. Nice metal pole that is going to be far more useful as an axle on the trailer for the tractor/mower that I'm making from an old acrylic bath....lol Nice 'U' brackets too, just what I need to fix it.

No way am I paying for TV rubbish and haven't owned a set for almost 20 years now.

Again...congrats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join